Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Battery type for starter - AGM or not? And Leisure Battery charging voltage?

Tassellpants

Tassellpants

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
After searching and learning lots about batteries and charging I've not found quite what I'm looking for.

I understand that the Leisure batteries should be the AGM type, but does the main engine starter battery also need to be AGM as it can be charged from the electrical hook up? A friend's 14 plate has a Varta AGM for the starter battery, part number: 7PC 916 105. Mine is also a Varta but not labelled AGM, part number: 5K0 915 105J

At the weekend we bought a 2012 Cali from a dealer and after the first drive, parking for 2 hours and then trying to restart it almost wouldn't start due to slow cranking. I've just moved it to get into the garage and when I went to restart to move it back I had the same cranking issue.

Clearly the starter battery is past its best and should not have passed the 144 point inspection the main dealer claims - so i will be insisting on a new starter battery.

The leisure batteries appear ok. After being on hookup at a campsite all batteries were ok and the leisure ones are still on 90% and were after driving home (yes we bought our cali and took it straight to a campsite via the pub for lunch!).

What charging voltage do people see on the control panel when driving and nothing is running from them?I'm seeing between 13.2 and 13.6 volts and current was showing 0.2A. When on hook up I was seeing 14.4v. Hopefully the Leisure Batteries are charging normally.

Hi. The van battery when on hook up only recieves enough to keep it topped up it will not charge it.

I have a 2011 VWTouareg and this has an AGM starter battery as standard and this because it has start stop and needs a good cranking capacity and better faster charging ability.

They are more expensive but better performing, so I would use one.

Mine doesn't have start/stop as not Bluemotion so perhaps this is why it has the non-AGM, my friend's 14 plate does have Bluemotion. The AGM is actually a lower rated battery than the one I have fitted but like you say copes better with fast charging.