Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Battery upgrade

Hennie

Hennie

Vehicle
T5 Beach
A question for those with the technical knowledge if I may. My 2009 Beach lessure battery is a flooded lead acid unit. Iff I cahange it to a gel battery, will the van's standard charging system be able to handle it?
Hennie

The LA80 Varta Dual Purpose AGM Leisure Battery 840 080 080.
This one seems to be the way to go for most California's.

It would be great if someone could work out a simple way to upgrade the BMS to use Lithium Iron Phospate these are brilliant albeit a bit pricey. You get what you pay for.

Could be possible, but imo not really worth the extra cost over a "normal" AGM.
As they last over 10 years with good servicing (regularly charging), I would not change to gel.
Mine are over 10 years old now, and they still work. They are not that good anymore, but I can use my fridge and/or heater and roof without problems for a couple of hours/days. The voltage drops quicker, so I might consider a battery change in the near future (1-2 years from now).

A question for those with the technical knowledge if I may. My 2009 Beach lessure battery is a flooded lead acid unit. Iff I cahange it to a gel battery, will the van's standard charging system be able to handle it?
Hennie

AGM and normal batteries have different charging voltages, its important to get teh right one for your van to avoid shortening the life of the battery.

If you can get a cheap 12v volt meter or have a means of finding the voltage and working out what the alternator is set up for.

My alternator charges at 13.8v. Seems that AGM batteries do not like to be charged above someware in the 14s. I might be ok.
Wil have to search some more.

When I drive, the display shows me about 14,2V.
Haven't measured with a multimeter, so I am not sure if it is 14,2V. It might even go up to about 14,8V, so GEL wouldn't be a good choice, unless you can put a voltage regulator between the alternator and your batteries.

Did a test this morning whilst driving with a multimeter and the voltage went up to 14.34. So, I guess gel it wil not be. AGM perhaps?

Depends on wether your multimeter has wheels?

Just go for some AGM's like it we all have. They are lower in price, and if maintained well, they last for at least 10 years.
A normal lifespan for a battery is about 6 years. But a normal car doesn't have hookup. Only if you put your car on a charger regularly, you might be able to extend the lifespan of that battery.

As most California's have hookup from factory (some Beaches don't have hookup from factory), their batteries might be maintained better, if they are on hookup regularly.

Mine is one of those without hookup. There are very few earlier cali beaches in my part of the world. In fact, I haven't seen any other than my own. Osean and coast is a far more regular sight.

Hope you dont mind me jumping onto this thread. Can someone tell me how long before the main battery goes flat sitting on the driveway. Also I am thinking running the engine ,will this be bad as things are not clearing in th exhaust, unless you rev it ,which I know Turbo,s dont like unless its warmed up.THANKS..

Hope you dont mind me jumping onto this thread. Can someone tell me how long before the main battery goes flat sitting on the driveway. Also I am thinking running the engine ,will this be bad as things are not clearing in th exhaust, unless you rev it ,which I know Turbo,s dont like unless its warmed up.THANKS..
I regularly leave mine for 4 to 5 weeks at Heathrow and no problem starting even during winter months.

Back