Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Beach (2-seat bench) storage box - manufacturing fault

kp64zl

kp64zl

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Just noticed that the storage box on my new Beach (the two seat bench version) has a manufacturing fault. I collected the van (new) two weeks ago and have just noticed this fault

The latch underneath the lid has been sited too far forwards (approx 3 or 4 mm).

This means that the lid doesn't close properly as the underside of the latch mechanism snags on the metal catch inside.

Simple repair not going to be possible because essentially the hole in the top of the lid would need moving! Filing the catch on the vertical wall isn't going to work either as the latch mechanism overlaps the melamine.

Have phoned the dealer I bought from (which is 200 miles away) who rightly suggested I contact my local dealer

Local dealer (vw service centre) says they are happy to have a look -- but they don't really know what I'm talking about (this is a van service centre, not a firm of carpenters!!!)

Will try and upload some photos later, my questions are

1) has anyone else had this issue and how dealt with?
2) should I expect a new whole replacement storage box?
3) If they want to repair (rather than replace) the box -- is there a VW centre that is expert in this kind of carpentry? My local centre is just a service centre and has no idea about habitation equipment...

thanks

Not come across that issue before. You (VW) might get away with a new lid rather than a whole new box but its highly unlikely that the lid alone has a VW part number so chances are they will lift out and replace the whole box.
If it wasn't under warranty then another option might be to remove the metal catch completely and then router a slot in the front face of the box. This assumes the lid would close without the metal catch and the new slot wasn't so close to the top that the wood would split. None of the above are the sort of thing a van centre would be likely to do!

Thanks most appreciated -- I'll ask the dealer whether the lid has its own part number.

Thanks most appreciated -- I'll ask the dealer whether the lid has its own part number.
1st time i've seen this problem mentioned on the Forum and I can't see how this could be an overall manufacturing fault unless something has changed on the MY2019 2 seat Beach and even then VW don't normally change such things half way through the year.
Do you have any photos?
Is it the Lock/catch that is out of alignment or the hinges?

sorry i have been a complete numpty and the lid was caught by an item in the box......took a good 30 minutes photographing and close inspection and then removal of everything in the box to work it out though....

what a numpty I have been! (perhaps move this to the numpty thread?)

:headbang

sorry i have been a complete numpty and the lid was caught by an item in the box......took a good 30 minutes photographing and close inspection and then removal of everything in the box to work it out though....

what a numpty I have been! (perhaps move this to the numpty thread?)

:headbang
Glad it’s all sorted.

Back