Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Beach headlights

We had a Beach with standard H4 headlights. All I can say is that I wasn't impressed. However, a pair of Phillips Racing bulbs from Halfords made a significant improvement. Also I believe you can change the whole headlamp unit for the H7 units quite easily.
Caravel headlights are easy replacements and take the H7s which many seem to suggest are better than H4..

They require some Computer program changes as the H7 lights have both bulbs on when on Main Beam as they are single filament bulbs whereas the H4 are Dual Filament with only 1 filament active at a time.
Yes, obvious when I think about it, just wasn't sure if the plugs were the same.

Yes, obvious when I think about it, just wasn't sure if the plugs were the same.
So just to clarify changing from H4 to H7 light units it's just a plug in job?

So just to clarify changing from H4 to H7 light units it's just a plug in job?
Yes, but if you want the same functionality, both dipped and main beam on when Main beam selected, then some computer coding is required, otherwise you get one bulb on for dipped and one bulb for main each side.

Yes, but if you want the same functionality, both dipped and main beam on when Main beam selected, then some computer coding is required, otherwise you get one bulb on for dipped and one bulb for main each side.
Many thanks, Welsh Gas.

Worth considering the cheaper option

Worth considering the cheaper option

Are these any good? Thinking of replacing the H4 candles in my T5 Beach but they seem to get very mixed reviews.

I have the now older +150% version H7 which were an instantly visible improvement. Over 3 years old now.
Legal to fit.

Are these any good? Thinking of replacing the H4 candles in my T5 Beach but they seem to get very mixed reviews.
They make a difference but don't expect too much. I fitted Phillips Racing bulbs on my last Beach and they did improve things but the H4 headlights were still pretty dire. H7s or LEDs are the only real answer.

I had H7s on a previous SE and they were v good. Our current Beach has LEDs and they really are amazing. The comparison between the H4s and LEDs is like night and day. However LEDs are mega expensive especially if retro fitted. So a good compromise would be fitting H7 headlight units and having the software ungraded.

They make a difference but don't expect too much. I fitted Phillips Racing bulbs on my last Beach and they did improve things but the H4 headlights were still pretty dire. H7s or LEDs are the only real answer.

I had H7s on a previous SE and they were v good. Our current Beach has LEDs and they really are amazing. The comparison between the H4s and LEDs is like night and day. However LEDs are mega expensive especially if retro fitted. So a good compromise would be fitting H7 headlight units and having the software ungraded.

I thought the H7’s were terrible on the Oceans we had so wouldn’t rush to spend on those. Will give the nightbreakers a go. Don’t do much night driving but the standard bulbs are a disgrace!

Ordered the nightbreaker 200% (plus a spare pair). Currently £18.33 a pair on Amazon.

I found the H7 light units a real upgrade from the H4. H4 were genuinely bad, no issues with the H7 units at all.

Back