Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

A year without a Beach

KatyCherry

KatyCherry

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Firstly Hi again,
it’s Been around a year now since having to sell our beach to move house.
Absolutely gutted and miss it to bits, not just for camping/shows etc with 3 teenage kids but also kayaking trips and fishing etc with 5x kit for everyone!
So have started looking again but it now seems We only have a few days to make our mindup and order before brexit rules!
So we have a few questions to ask your opinions on....

what sort of deposit are people putting down at the moment on a high spec Beach (as I have a baywindow camper to sell)

options wise

do the 4 keys still = no interior alarm?
Does anyone know what the Darkening system is on the standard spec list.
Also what’s the standard “electric heater”?

also torn between led lights or h7s with auto highbeam and front fogs. Had H4’s last time that were rubbish but the fogs really saved the day.
If going led headlights do I really need fog lights (van will be daily driver and I drive a lot in the Dark in the winter)

can the panaramic roof canvas window be opened from outside? (Security risk)

is it hard to retro fit the spare wheel carrier if I order 18” wheels

and does anyone know if the
Palladium-Titanium Black mattress topper is all in the leather effect material (hoping it will be harder wearing and also won’t attract jack Russel white hairs quite as bad!)

And lastly does the heated front screen still have annoying zig zag wire running thru it?

0A6162B5-663D-4377-A1C9-4198AAF3E61D.png

AF3CB019-7A09-4B27-9D57-087C8FDB76B4.png

Actually thinking electric aux heater maybee like the golf/Passat which has an elec water pre heat for faster engine warm up in winter?

Have you seen California Chris' latest on youtube about the Beach Tour options? May help.

The window in the panoramic canvas can only be opened from the inside.

But if you're depending on the zipper for security then keep in mind the thing's a a tent. They'll be able to crack your security with scissors or a knife ;-)

If you get LED’s the driving lights are probably not needed. LED’s are so much better at lighting up the road my feeling is the front driving lights are a waste of money. I am biased because I bought a T6 Beach with only LED’s, but previously had an SE with H7’s and driving lights, so have a reference point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you get LED’s the driving lights are probably not needed. LED’s are so much better at lighting up the road my feeling is the front driving lights are a waste of money. I am biased because I bought a T6 Beach with only LED’s, but previously had an SE with H7’s and driving lights, so have a reference point.

Think I’d probably regret not getting LED lights anyway, just trying to filter out what I don’t really need!

You thinking of a Camper or Tour?

The mattress topper will only be Fabric. The Art Velour has leather effect bolsters and the centre pads are an Alcantara fabric, this is only available with the 3 seat bench and Heated Seats.

You thinking of a Camper or Tour?

The mattress topper will only be Fabric. The Art Velour has leather effect bolsters and the centre pads are an Alcantara fabric, this is only available with the 3 seat bench and Heated Seats.
Camper and yes 3 seat rear bench, prob gonna spec heated seats anyway as will be my daily driver, just think the standard colour won’t be very hard wearing, maybee seat covers may be ok and save some cash but I prefer the darker dash too.prob fabric topper is better as won’t slide around on it when sleeping

Think I’d probably regret not getting LED lights anyway, just trying to filter out what I don’t really need!

You can always get front fog lights fitted later to improve the look. Headlamp LED’s are much more faff to fit afterwards, and cost more. Or you could get the LED DRL’s fitted afterwards, but even that could be overkill.

So after going thru all the options Over and over trying to remove anything we didn’t really need the beach still came out at around 62k for what I consider only essential upgrades. If I wanted the same as my last beach it was 67k! so have come to the conclusion it’s way way overpriced especially when you consider the resale value/trade in value is only calculated on base price)
So after chatting to Matt again at Tonbridge who sold us our first beach have ordered an ocean 199 in the new fortana red for almost the same price!
although we loved our last Beach with the 3 kids now being teenagers / adults we decided it’s easier to have the fridge/cooker/sink in the van and use a tent or awning for extra room! Rather than constantly moving everything around all the time, not sure how easy it is to set up the downstairs bed with an extra chair in tho as I know with the beach it didn’t really work.

set up the downstairs bed with an extra chair in tho as I know with the beach it didn’t really work.
Just a note to Beach owners, the easiest way to set up the 3 seat bench bed with all 7 seats in is to just fold the bench and second row captain's chairs forward into table position, instead of unfolding the bench into bed position. Then comfort mattress on top. This is shorter, but doable, gives more foot room in front of the bed, and is quicker than finding the exact position to unfold the bed in between the captain's chairs and the multiflex board. Hat tip to @Amarillo for that very useful gem.

Last edited:
So after going thru all the options Over and over trying to remove anything we didn’t really need the beach still came out at around 62k for what I consider only essential upgrades. If I wanted the same as my last beach it was 67k! so have come to the conclusion it’s way way overpriced especially when you consider the resale value/trade in value is only calculated on base price)
So after chatting to Matt again at Tonbridge who sold us our first beach have ordered an ocean 199 in the new fortana red for almost the same price!
although we loved our last Beach with the 3 kids now being teenagers / adults we decided it’s easier to have the fridge/cooker/sink in the van and use a tent or awning for extra room! Rather than constantly moving everything around all the time, not sure how easy it is to set up the downstairs bed with an extra chair in tho as I know with the beach it didn’t really work.
Came very close to changing to the Ocean myself. Think a 5 seat Ocean with Metallic and Mattress is only about 2.5k more than what I ordered in the end!

Your making me have 2nd thoughts now!!

Last edited:
Came very close to changing to the Ocean myself. Think a 5 seat Ocean with Metallic and Mattress is only about 2.5k more than what I ordered in the end!
I was so torn as it will be my daily driver again and the beach is just so good for loading up everyday leisure gear etc but for the money the ocean has so much more kit on it as standard and prob easier for “wild camping” at v dub shows etc. Hopefully it will work well for us as it was getting a bit cramped with 5 sleeping in the van anyway.

What spec did you go for @2haw?

I priced up a 3 seater Beach yesterday, but came to the same conclusion as @KatyCherry - it’s just too expensive relative to the Coast and Ocean

I was so torn as it will be my daily driver again and the beach is just so good for loading up everyday leisure gear etc but for the money the ocean has so much more kit on it as standard and prob easier for “wild camping” at v dub shows etc. Hopefully it will work well for us as it was getting a bit cramped with 5 sleeping in the van anyway.

You can buy a decent UK manufactured small removable POD kitchen for around £500. Then you still have the option for up to 7 passenger when needed, and the ability to still carry 6 passengers with the kitchen pod installed. Kitchen can easily be lifted into an awning when camping if you need additional space in the van.

Back