Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Beach not very refined?

T6Beach

T6Beach

VIP Member
I had a drive of my friends new Caravelle in the week and I think it really makes the Beach feel very van-like ! I would say the Velle was ten times more refined than the Beach and all the fixtures and fittings just feel better quality. I had always assumed the Beach was based on the Caravelle?? Also what surpises me is the Caravelle is less money for more kit ( apart from the popmup roof) There is also things like full luxury leather and Climatronic as standard. Are we being ripped off with the Beach?

I don't know caravelle prices very well but I do think the beach is worse VFM than the ocean. Unfortunately for me I prefer the beach!

I've often wondered if you would be better buying an ocean and selling all the kitchen stuff on eBay! But I've never actually done the sums to work it out.

The problem is a nicley specced Beach is up to Ocean price territory and you still lack the fidge etc... All you are really paying for in a standard Beach is the pop up roof ( which is not even electric) So yes I agree this makes the Beach very poor VFM.

In regards to being refined, the Beach does feel very much van like to drive, whereas the Ocean/Se does feel more car like

So the Beach is based on a Builders van and the Ocean is based on a vehicle used for executive transport ? Crazy or what??

Did a 400 mile drive in my Beach yesterday and it was amazing how comfortable and relaxed I was. It was a mix of motorway and A roads. I did not feel at any time that I was driving a van apart from the elevated driving position. I am not sure if the refinement comes down to tyres, driving style or something else but several times on my trip I remember thinking just how pleasant it was to drive.

Wouldn't it be nice to be able to go into a VW showroom and build your own vehicle using the full VW transporter range parts list.
My preferred vehicle would be a VW Caravelle 150 bhp dsg seven seater Executive with the full (proper) leather interior, the bed pack with VW comfort mattress, Cali window blinds, auxilliary heater and the manual pop top roof with comfort lighting. I would want the Cali picnic table in the O/S door and the two picnic chairs in the rear door as well. Oh and as it would have two sliding doors how about two wind out awnings?

I know this is purely pie in the sky but I did look at buying a Caravelle before getting our Cali. I wanted a people carrier for carting our grandchildren around in whilst also being something that we could also sleep and travel in. I became very frustrated at the silly restrictions on what you can and can't specify on their vehicles. As an example, why can you not specify a full leather interior for a seven seat Beach? As far as I can see, all the seats are exactly the same as the full leather ones fitted in the Caravelle and leather is a much more practical covering for any vehicle seats that are going to be used for transporting kids and dogs on holiday and for everyday use.

It seems though that this is not possible. Is it because we customers have to comply with what their market research has told them that we want?

Last edited:
Don't get me wrong, I love the Beach but I think it is way too over priced compared to an Ocean, especially when you have to pay for stuff like upgrading the dash etc.. Also I do not think the residuals are as good on the Beach.
I suppose it depends on whether you feel that you 'have to' upgrade to the premium dash or whether you can 'survive' with the standard.
Both Beach and Ocean are expensive (and have got more so over the last few years). If you think Beach is overpriced I can't see how you can think the Ocean isn't.
Also I actually like driving a van. I'm not put off by something that feels like a van to drive it is actually a van.
Some people chase refinement and car like. I chase practicality and fun.
It's a horses for courses thing.
Has anyone driven both new T6 Cali's to see how different they are to drive?
Is some of the refinement feel the fact that the kitchen and storage makes the van less spacious and therefore sound deadened?
The premium dash may do the same.

Last edited:
There's no real price difference, the cheapest T6 Caravelle is
Volkswagen Caravelle SWB MPV M1 2.0TSI BMT 150 StopStart EU6 SE ÂŁ36,137 Inc VAT... Going up to ÂŁ43,413 + VAT for the gorgeous Generation 6.

Headline figures for for Caravelle are pre VAT, whereas Cali's are Inc VAT.

Remember that's the base price, so any options soon add up (as we all well know).

Basic Caravelles have no swivel seats (fitted with comfort seats by default - options brochure endorsed 'non-swivelling':mad:. You can pay extra for swivel (non-height adjustable)). Nor extra batteries, no EHU, no multiflex board. It does have comfort dash, with climatic, 7 seats...

They are different target markets, but probably not that much different in price when all the boxes are ticked.

We considered fitting a pop top on our 2005 Caravelle, but in the end, the cost was approaching ÂŁ5k to preserve the rear vents, and we still would have to install auxiliary heaters, ehu, etc., all adding up. So new Beach it is ( when VW get round to building it;))

Each to their own though...

As far as I am aware, and I could be wrong but I don't think so, The Beach is based on the Multivan and the Se/Ocean is based on the Caravelle.:thumb

ps: I wish if someone "Disagrees" they would post a reason. It would be so much more helpful for everyone concerned.:thumb

Last edited:
As far as I am aware, and I could be wrong but I don't think so, The Beach is based on the Multivan and the Se/Ocean is based on the Caravelle.:thumb
That's what always seems to have been said on here and I've no reason to doubt it.
Is that just insulation and dashboard that's the difference? Or is there more to it?

why can you not specify a full leather interior for a seven seat Beach?
Next question why you can't chose different color and type of leather ;)
I was shocked how cheap it is to make custom leather seats compared to original ones.
My dealer gave me a catalogue and it is like x2-3 cheaper and you have insane variety of designs to choose from.
What really is awful that you can't get a 4motion 204bhp Beach in UK. This should be seriously dealt with your local importer.

That's what always seems to have been said on here and I've no reason to doubt it.
Is that just insulation and dashboard that's the difference? Or is there more to it?
I'm not sure. But the Beach is designed to have unto 7 seats in total so there could be some differences in the suspension.
The Beach would have to cope with Vehicle +1 adult to Vehicle + 7 adults, whereas the SE/Ocean would be Vehicle + Units etc: + 1 adult to Vehicle + Units + 4 Adults, so I could see there being a difference in springs or shocks to accommodate this, but I don't know.:thumb

Without opening a can of worms I could never get my head round the beach, is it really a campervan at all ? or is it a people carrier with a pop up roof?

It is either that or the other way round. Multivan is only available in mainland Europe. I think the differences are suspension, noise insulation, door trims etc.

Without opening a can of worms I could never get my head round the beach, is it really a campervan at all ? or is it a people carrier with a pop up roof?
And batteries, and swivels seats, and table, and chairs, and exactly all the same as Ocean but no kitchen and sink :)
Could have never imagined people might have such complexes regarding simply the outfit of an exactly same style and purpose vehicle :)))

The Multivan, the Caravelle the California Beach/Ocean/SE are all based on VW transporter.
Ocean and Beach are exactly same vehicles with a difference of a non-optional kitchen unit and an electric roof.

Next step to discuss that Oceans double seat bench is higher quality and more comfortable than Beach one. :D

And batteries, and swivels seats, and table, and chairs, and exactly all the same as Ocean but no kitchen and sink :)
Could have never imagined people might have such complexes regarding simply the outfit of an exactly same style and purpose vehicle :)))
Don't forget the 2nd Battery, Inverter, wardrobe, additional storage, overhead locker, gas bottle, 30l water tank + 30L waste tank. Have I forgotten anything! I think, could be wrong, but you're the one with the complex. The Beach is a different Life Style vehicle to the SE/Ocean and without spending a lot you cannot turn a Beach into a SE/Ocean. Each vehicle has it's followers and each bought that vehicle because it fits their lifestyle. One isn't better than the other, they are different. There are a lot of similarities but also a lot of differences, just like their owners, but they are different.

Back