Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Beach not very refined?

As far as I am aware, and I could be wrong but I don't think so, The Beach is based on the Multivan and the Se/Ocean is based on the Caravelle.:thumb
Both are based on the Multivan (which you cannot buy in the Uk). The beach is based on the startline and the SE on the comfortline. Door cards, dash and headlights are the main visual changes between the Multivan models.

That was for the t5 I believe anyway - the trim names have changed for the t6

Last edited:
I don't put into any single category. It is what it is on that day. If I'm going to work, it's a car, if we are out for the day it is a dayvan, If we are on holiday, it is a camper and when we are transporting the family, it's a people carrier.

To me it does all those things brilliantly and in a very refined way.

As far as I am aware, and I could be wrong but I don't think so, The Beach is based on the Multivan and the Se/Ocean is based on the Caravelle.:thumb
My 2005 Caravelle is a Multivan according to the VW labeling... They were the same but called different names depending where sold.
Looking at the European konfigurator (why don't we get one?) The Multivan and Caravelle are named separately. But the Generation 6 appears under Multivan, not Caravelle.
Who knows the mysteries of VW?
Given the complexities of construction I would have thought that the majority of the base vehicle is common to all models.

Given the complexities of construction I would have thought that the majority of the base vehicle is common to all models.
Exactly. Can't imagine the production complications if there were several different types of T-series platforms add long base to that :)

Won't call any of VW T series a camper van. There is no shower and WC and hot water. :D
All those are compact travel vans with different type of extra features.
Sorry disagree.

image.jpeg

Exactly. Can't imagine the production complications if there were several different types of T-series platforms add long base to that :)
Obviously you haven't visited a modern vehicle manufacturing plant that exports it's vehicles worldwide. Each and every vehicle coming down the production line can have different body types, engine types and sizes, suspension, accessories, colour, tyres, wheels, dashboards etc:.
All controlled by computers. You should visit one.

Haven tried both the SE and Beach, I think they both lack refinement.
It's the pop-top roof and all the extra fixtures and fitting which are used for camping which create the noises and reduces refinement.
The Carvelle is a different beast again and is head and shoulders a more quality product than both SE & Beach
As with anything it's a trade off, one I'm happy to make with the Beach/workhorse.

Won't call any of VW T series a camper van. There is no shower and WC and hot water. :D
All those are compact travel vans with different type of extra features.

That actually makes sense :D

Haven tried both the SE and Beach, I think they both lack refinement.
It's the pop-top roof and all the extra fixtures and fitting which are used for camping which create the noises and reduces refinement.
The Carvelle is a different beast again and is head and shoulders a more quality product than both SE & Beach
As with anything it's a trade off, one I'm happy to make with the Beach/workhorse.
Of course you are.
I just didn't want a workhorse/people carrier. Been there done that, moved on.:kiss

As much sense as playing Badminton with a brick.

Let's face it.
It's missing somewhere to go pee pee, no where to shower and almost useless washing up facilities. You will know what I mean if you've ever tried cleaning a bowl of dried Weetabix in that sink:talktothehand

Let's face it.
It's missing somewhere to go pee pee, no where to shower and almost useless washing up facilities. You will know what I mean if you've ever tried cleaning a bowl of dried Weetabix in that sink:talktothehand
Funny you mention Weetabix :)

Let's face it.
That's the difference between camper van and motorhome. Weetabix should be banned. :D

Don't forget the 2nd Battery, Inverter, wardrobe, additional storage, overhead locker, gas bottle, 30l water tank + 30L waste tank. Have I forgotten anything! I think, could be wrong, but you're the one with the complex. The Beach is a different Life Style vehicle to the SE/Ocean and without spending a lot you cannot turn a Beach into a SE/Ocean. Each vehicle has it's followers and each bought that vehicle because it fits their lifestyle. One isn't better than the other, they are different. There are a lot of similarities but also a lot of differences, just like their owners, but they are different.
You forgot heater.

Easiest way to check on the van's parentage is to check the door seals. The SE has double seals, presumably the Caravelle has too. The Transporter van only has a single seal. Comparing ours to my son's Sportline, this makes quite a bit of difference to noise levels. The doors shut with a different clunk too.

Let's face it.
But I don't want a Motorhome and park in the Lorry Park.
Nor do I want to load up a kitchen or fridge before going away.
I just walkout the house, lock the front door and drive wherever. Oh sometimes I fill the water tank before I go, sometimes not.
You shouldn't leave any Weetabix. Copes with my porridge bowl fine.

2014 Beach owner here.. :bananadance

I drive a 2013 T5 work van 140bhp Trendline and our Beach is a much more refined drive more comfortable quieter so not van like as i drive the van....

Beach is a life style choice we have 2 dogs and use JED every day we didn't an SE as carrying around the kitchen to work just wasn't for us...

Either way they are both excellent vehicles and we love the Beach defo not van like...:bananadance

Shaun

Obviously you haven't visited a modern vehicle manufacturing plant that exports it's vehicles worldwide. Each and every vehicle coming down the production line can have different body types, engine types and sizes, suspension, accessories, colour, tyres, wheels, dashboards etc:.
All controlled by computers. You should visit one.
No I haven't, but I accept there are a vast number of combinations of options, but the cost of design and testing, economies of scale, type approval, safety testing, etc. mean that many items are identical on the whole range.
I guess the only true answer to the question of any fundamental differences between Ocean and Breach (apart from the obvious) would need VW to answer.

It appears the one up man ship contest has migrated threads again lol

OMG....Cali owners....

The SE or T6 variants are what they are.

The Beach is what it is.

Different choices, one no better than the other.

Now deciding what some of these converted lorries that the French & Germans have a penchant for, that's the real Q...

OMG....Cali owners....

The SE or T6 variants are what they are.

The Beach is what it is.

Different choices, one no better than the other.

Now deciding what some of these converted lorries that the French & Germans have a penchant for, that's the real Q...

Agree , find this a useless tread.
It's the same in the SE vs. Beach tread....

May i correct , the OP was meant to be good but it turned out the other way arround ...;)

hotel....

It really tickles me these converted lorries, have seen a few today in VRSA and along the Guadiana as I rode my Vespa in the sunshine. Hardcore or what ?

hotel....

It really tickles me these converted lorries, have seen a few today in VRSA and along the Guadiana as I rode my Vespa in the sunshine. Hardcore or what ?

Orange Peel...:D

hotel....

Were they Campervans or Motorhomes?:rolleyes:

Back