Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Beach storing/packing tips

A

angconcerts

Vehicle
T5 Beach 4Motion
Hi all, new to this and wondered if there’s any tips or pics out there for storage and packing the van. Like the bedding, cook ware and bits n bobs? Thanks in advance

Hi all, new to this and wondered if there’s any tips or pics out there for storage and packing the van. Like the bedding, cook ware and bits n bobs? Thanks in advance
What flavour of Beach are we talking about? 2 seater or 3 seater rear bench seat?

Before we got a slidepod we used really useful boxes of two different sizes under the multiflex. Now we use square ikea storage boxes above the multiflex :)

Not wanting to hijack this thread at all but I’d be interested in hearing what folks do with their 2 seater beaches too!

Not wanting to hijack this thread at all but I’d be interested in hearing what folks do with their 2 seater beaches too!
I thought beaches were 3 seaters? Am I missing something

Storage is a personal thing. You'll have to play around until you find what works for you. It might take some time and several revisions before you it work out.

As for pointers:

1. Van Essa window bags which fit into the side window frames of the two rear windows. These are excellent. You can store all your clothes and wash bag etc and they are all at hand beside your bed. The are made like suit cases so if you decide to go to a B & B or Hotel you just remove them and hey presto.
2. Calicap pull out boot tray. These are made by a German company called CaliCap de. They make them in various lengths but the best one is the 700mm version. The rest are either too short to be of any real use or too long and reduce the versatility of these vans. Believe me they make access to the boot storage a doddle.
20181123_134525.jpg
3. Euro boxes. They come in all sizes so you should be able to find something to suit your needs.

These are expensive accessories but they really do compliment the Beaches versatility.

Last edited:
Wood from Ikea scrap room (£10) and a jig saw.
Cut out in end of box for access to storage box.
Insulated fabric boxes are like Doctor Who's tardis.
Twin Hob and a few fittings.
Couple of metal plates to stop it moving and undo if lifting ou

tbwATz0MRrK3PPZlCR1%Nw.jpg

JHKSPvQ5Tnqt+wEdhdF8Gg.jpg

IMG_6458.JPGIMG_6459.JPGIMG_6451.JPGIMG_6452.JPGIMG_6453.JPGIMG_6455.JPG
IMG_6458.JPGIMG_6459.JPGIMG_6457.JPG
IMG_6456.JPG

Last edited:
Garden plastic box where we put pillows, matress topper, blankets and all this stuff that usually needs a lot of space. Can stay in the back of the boot (unfortunately I couldn’t find a box that can stay even when the bench is in bed position) and during the night under the MFB, if we’re not camping (so without drive away awning). Really light, can serve as bench for the two kids outside.
For the remaining space in the boot euro boxes or ikea boxes

D4D3B0F5-2657-49E9-A9DF-94C63F10A061.jpeg

My favourite topic...

We are currently away for 11 nights as a family of four plus dog.

I have made my own custom size plywood crates for the front section of the boot: in front of the multiflex.

First the bench seat is pulled forward to the point where the bench can be lowered to make the bed. The multiflex is in the rearmost position.

Crate 1 slides forward to the rear of the bench then left behind the multiflex feet. Crate 2 slides to the right. Box 3 contains 2 x 907 gas slides between crates 1 & 2.

All this can sit below the bench seat when lowered to a bed.

Tray 4 & 5 are shallow, 75 cm wide and together span the entire width of the van above the wheel arches. They sit above Crates 1,2 and box 3. Above that and dead level with the multiflex goes a plywood table top, 1.5m long.

Crate 1 contains Cadac BBQ, coats and oilskins.

Crate 2 contains dog food, swimming costumes, towels, ponchos, armbands and rings.

Tray 4 contains walking boots, wellies and sandals/crocs.

Tray 5 contains outdoor games and toys.

Fitting perfectly under the multiflex are four Muji drawers. These contain all our cooking and eating utensils, plus sauces, spices and some tinned food and fresh fruit and veg. Between the Muji drawers goes the double burner and a rolled up tarpaulin. Down the side of the multiflex goes the fly screens and external 12v lighting.

Above the multiflex goes the mattress topper, the Hexaway awning and bedding.

In with the chairs go the roof topper and the front window vents.

We have window bags. Clare uses both compartments of one bag. I use one compartment, and the boys share a compartment.

In the trays under the bench goes indoor toys such as mobilo and cars, story books and emergency clothing.

We have eight hooks for coats, towels or whatever, four each side of the cabin.

The fridge straps behind the front passenger seat. Both front seats have pockets stuffed full of sun cream, dog leads, window curtains, tyre pressure gauge, etc.

A cool bag stuffed with snacks for a long journey sits between the front seats. The dashboard is used as a fruit bowl.

Emergency stuff like warning triangle, snow chains, high viz vests, bicycle tool kit, bike pump, etc go under the drivers seat.

Hookup leads and extension leads go in the battery compartment under the bonnet.

A double duvet gets carefully folded in half lengthwise and squished into the roof void.

Fully packed for 11 nights camping, four people and a dog, and I have an unobstructed view through the rear window... of the four bikes.

Much more in this thread:

Last edited:
Storage is a personal thing. You'll have to play around until you find what works for you. It might take some time and several revisions before you it work out.

As for pointers:

1. Van Essa window bags which fit into the side window frames of the two rear windows. These are excellent. You can store all your clothes and wash bag etc and they are all at hand beside your bed. The are made like suit cases so if you decide to go to a B & B or Hotel you just remove them and hey presto.
2. Calicap pull out boot tray. These are made by a German company called CaliCap de. They make them in various lengths but the best one is the 700mm version. The rest are either too short to be of any real use or too long and reduce the versatility of these vans. Believe me they make access to the boot storage a doddle.
View attachment 49109
3. Euro boxes. They come in all sizes so you should be able to find something to suit your needs.

These are expensive accessories but they really do compliment the Beaches versatility.
Thanks so much for this

2. Calicap pull out boot tray. These are made by a German company called CaliCap de. They make them in various lengths but the best one is the 700mm version.

These look great. Do you know how much they reduce the height below the multiflex, eg what the height is between the bed of the tray and the underside of the board, assuming one takes the rubber gobbins for holding shopping bags or whatever off? Also, what is the position of the rear seat with the 700mm in place? Hard up against the multiflex?

thanks!

These look great. Do you know how much they reduce the height below the multiflex, eg what the height is between the bed of the tray and the underside of the board, assuming one takes the rubber gobbins for holding shopping bags or whatever off? Also, what is the position of the rear seat with the 700mm in place? Hard up against the multiflex?

thanks!
I'd go out a measure it for you but I have just sold our Beach and the tray has been removed.

It doesn't reduce the height beneath the multiflex by very much so no need to worry. The shopping bag thingy or other fixtures don't need to be removed either.

As for the space with the 700mm tray in place, here is a photo of ours with the bench seat about 50 -75mm away from the tray frame. I didn't want to ram it into the frame and damage the bench rear plastics. I now employ rubber bump stops.
20181027_115629.jpg
Ours is a seven seater and I'm pretty certain you can have the two swivels with the tray in place although I've never tried it.

Last edited:
Thanks Borris, that's helpful.

I hope that portapotty isn't for you, looks a bit low to be comfortable.

Thanks Borris, that's helpful.

I hope that portapotty isn't for you, looks a bit low to be comfortable.
Not yet but I am in my mid sixties so............!

We refer to it as "The Pink Potty of joy".

Wood from Ikea scrap room (£10) and a jig saw.
Cut out in end of box for access to storage box.
Insulated fabric boxes are like Doctor Who's tardis.
Twin Hob and a few fittings.
Couple of metal plates to stop it moving and undo if lifting ou

View attachment 49110

View attachment 49111
That looks lovely, great use of the space and I like the open sections.
I have some of those bags they came with Kampa Quartermaster? I have two of those in the garage that I got when I first used my beach, but I used the bags but not the upright part.

We are trying a new setup for Denmark trip, Ill share when we have pictures :)

Last edited:
I'd go out a measure it for you but I have just sold our Beach and the tray has been removed.

It doesn't reduce the height beneath the multiflex by very much so no need to worry. The shopping bag thingy or other fixtures don't need to be removed either.

As for the space with the 700mm tray in place, here is a photo of ours with the bench seat about 50 -75mm away from the tray frame. I didn't want to ram it into the frame and damage the bench rear plastics. I now employ rubber bump stops.
View attachment 49125
Ours is a seven seater and I'm pretty certain you can have the two swivels with the tray in place although I've never tried it.
It's true that the second row seats would fit, but if you have a T5.1 like mine with the small removable tabs in the floor rails to remove/insert the feet of the seats, the three seat bench must be moved back to the position allowed by folding down the front portion of the multiflex board. With the multiflex board fully extended, in the position shown by the diagram on the Calicap website, you would not be able to move the 3 seat bench or the second row chairs back far enough to reach the tabs, so the second row could not be removed or installed unless you remove the slide tray. Sad, because I want one, but I often carry 7 people when I'm not off by myself. This flexibility is what makes the Beach work for me. https://shop.vwcamper.de/heckauszuege/263/calidrawer-beach-heckauszug?number=SW10200.1

It's true that the second row seats would fit, but if you have a T5.1 like mine with the small removable tabs in the floor rails to remove/insert the feet of the seats, the three seat bench must be moved back to the position allowed by folding down the front portion of the multiflex board. With the multiflex board fully extended, in the position shown by the diagram on the Calicap website, you would not be able to move the 3 seat bench or the second row chairs back far enough to reach the tabs, so the second row could not be removed or installed unless you remove the slide tray. Sad, because I want one, but I often carry 7 people when I'm not off by myself. This flexibility is what makes the Beach work for me. https://shop.vwcamper.de/heckauszuege/263/calidrawer-beach-heckauszug?number=SW10200.1
I think it would work with the 600mm tray, but not the 700mm, but you need to decide if the loss in tray space is compensated for by the flexibility to remove/install the second row.

I don’t like the idea of the sliding tray because I want to be able to use every cubic millimetre of boot space below the level of the multiflex. My plywood crates are simple enough for me to slide them in and out.

However, I can see very clearly how the sliding tray would be an excellent solution for many people.

What length of pull out drawer are we talking about?

I think it would work with the 600mm tray, but not the 700mm, but you need to decide if the loss in tray space is compensated for by the flexibility to remove/install the second row.
Thanks. As I said I've never tried it.

What length of pull out drawer are we talking about?
700cm. As I mentioned above, 600cm tray would work, but then what's the point? It would be helpful to know how complicated is it to remove/install the 700cm tray to allow installing/removing second row seats.

I really don't know if this is an issue on more recent vans, where a whole section of floor rail is removed to install/remove second row. Which system did you have Borris, tabs or removable rail sections?

Back