Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Beach storing/packing tips

I don’t like the idea of the sliding tray because I want to be able to use every cubic millimetre of boot space below the level of the multiflex. My plywood crates are simple enough for me to slide them in and out.

However, I can see very clearly how the sliding tray would be an excellent solution for many people.
[/QUOTE
Your setup is a work of art, and I do agree that using space to a maximum is the secret to fully enjoying the Beach. With your boys you have different needs, which you have resolved with the sort of masterful analytical problem solving that I love. However, I sleep upstairs so I move the bench back to the multiflex board to have a full sized salon below: table and facing rotated first row and bench. It allows one to sleep in above while the other has an early coffee or breakfast below. When camping we are usually just two, so with the room set up below I don't use an awning or tent.

700cm. As I mentioned above, 600cm tray would work, but then what's the point? It would be helpful to know how complicated is it to remove/install the 700cm tray to allow installing/removing second row seats.

I really don't know if this is an issue on more recent vans, where a whole section of floor rail is removed to install/remove second row. Which system did you have Borris, tabs or removable rail sections?
On the T6 you remove the plastic floor rail end caps at the front end of the rails.. Having done that you then slide the two short aluminium extrusions which form either side of the rail towards the front and remove. I cannot confirm but I doubt if having the tray in would prevent their removal. The way they are designed means that you'd only have to move them a few cms and they could be removed. I'll try it when we eventually get our new van and let you know.

On the T6 you remove the plastic floor rail end caps at the front end of the rails.. Having done that you then slide the two short aluminium extrusions which form either side of the rail towards the front and remove. I cannot confirm but I doubt if having the tray in would prevent their removal. The way they are designed means that you'd only have to move them a few cms and they could be removed. I'll try it when we eventually get our new van and let you know.
So, it's important to note the difference between T5/T6 rails if one is contemplating ordering a tray and seat flexibility is important.

So, it's important to note the difference between T5/T6 rails if one is contemplating ordering a tray and seat flexibility is important.
I don't have one of these trays in my 7 seater T6, but if it helps, I can get my middle seats out without having to shorten the multiflex. The middle seats butt up against the rear seat and overhang the removable metal plates a bit so when you first do it it looks quite awkward but in reality it's fine.

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using Tapatalk

I don't have one of these trays in my 7 seater T6, but if it helps, I can get my middle seats out without having to shorten the multiflex. The middle seats butt up against the rear seat and overhang the removable metal plates a bit so when you first do it it looks quite awkward but in reality it's fine.

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using Tapatalk
Yes and from memory, the rear bench is pretty much hard up against the Multiflex when our 700mm tray is fitted. So I doubt if there would be a problem installing or removing the swivels.

I frequently have the sixth and seventh seats out. I’ve never shortened the MF to remove, but I have swivelled them to make it easier.

On our recent trip - 2 months :-D the most useful bits of storage - not really storage but shelving were a side table made from 5mm lightweight plastic as shown in the photo below and the shelf made of dibond that fits above the seats at the front of the van. This is described in this post -> https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/creating-a-false-ceiling-above-the-cabin.26094/#post-298366

Both are the best things we've bought/done for the van. The side shelf makes breakfasts or drinks of an evening so much easier. The false ceiling is just brilliant - you can stash clothing up there, wash bags, you name it. It also makes plugging phones into the 12v socket much easier. Big thanks to Romke for this innovation. We now couldn't live without it. It also stows in the roof above the bed when you're moving.

1566547049855.png

As for the rest my wife uses soft packing thingies for all her clothes in the storage box down the side - I put mine in a couple of Lidl bags, end on so I can see what's there. These sit flat on top of each other in the boot.

Camping stuff is in 2 crates that just fit under the rear shelf. Then shoes/boots in IKEA bags and the BBQ.

Lidl SUP behind the bench seat - laid flat when the beds made.

We travel very light!

I frequently have the sixth and seventh seats out. I’ve never shortened the MF to remove, but I have swivelled them to make it easier.
Thanks for the clarification about the T6 floor rails. It seems that only the T5.1 with floor tabs can't do this. Believe me I have tried!

That looks lovely, great use of the space and I like the open sections.
I have some of those bags they came with Kampa Quartermaster? I have two of those in the garage that I got when I first used my beach, but I used the bags but not the upright part.

We are trying a new setup for Denmark trip, Ill share when we have pictures :)
The Kampa bags are great but no longer available. I have 4 that came in a big padded bag. I used to use them in the bag in the car but not in the van. However I still use the individual bags as when you unpack then they fold down flat.

On our recent trip - 2 months :-D the most useful bits of storage - not really storage but shelving were a side table made from 5mm lightweight plastic as shown in the photo below and the shelf made of dibond that fits above the seats at the front of the van. This is described in this post -> https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/creating-a-false-ceiling-above-the-cabin.26094/#post-298366

Both are the best things we've bought/done for the van. The side shelf makes breakfasts or drinks of an evening so much easier. The false ceiling is just brilliant - you can stash clothing up there, wash bags, you name it. It also makes plugging phones into the 12v socket much easier. Big thanks to Romke for this innovation. We now couldn't live without it. It also stows in the roof above the bed when you're moving.

View attachment 49174

As for the rest my wife uses soft packing thingies for all her clothes in the storage box down the side - I put mine in a couple of Lidl bags, end on so I can see what's there. These sit flat on top of each other in the boot.

Camping stuff is in 2 crates that just fit under the rear shelf. Then shoes/boots in IKEA bags and the BBQ.

We travel very light!
Here’s my solution for the ceiling/roof shelf. 4 bits of wood held together with gaffer tape (for flexibility) slides into and follows the contours of the roof-blind channel. Cheap as chips and very sturdy. Makes a good tv shelf. 040A8363-B430-43C8-B652-88317CBB2C5E.jpeg5DF3C1DF-2985-46CE-BA98-63B105E4F1FF.jpegF3E64A66-A8FF-4557-9529-7C5D8E0CE707.jpeg

Vanessa window bags an absolute must,free up so much room in the boot

This is what I do for my 2 seat beach.

For family holidays

Simple. Probably could be more efficient .....
1 / Box with van basics, jump lead multimeter , electric cable (13 not 16A) , pegs mallet etc. Small table and mat on top

CB3736AD-3218-4E23-A11F-0B606D2096A7.jpegB5498B02-FFB2-4848-90E1-35E7B95F080C.jpeg

Last edited:
2/ camp kitchen in a recycling box. Main cooker = Primus Tupike with adapters to take all kinds of gas canisters. This fits nicely under the rather low multi flex

Bucket goes next to it with washing up stuff and water9A6A7C2B-F55B-4A2F-9F40-DAF619A549B2.jpegimage.jpg9A6A7C2B-F55B-4A2F-9F40-DAF619A549B2.jpegimage.jpg

3 / metal box strapped behind drivers seat full of food. You can see fridge behind. Dometic CFX 28. Probably will try and source a smaller box that allows drawer to open fully.

18B35438-07BA-43EA-8B8A-BCE66A78D4BA.jpeg

image.jpg4/
Plastic box containing tea and coffee making stuff including small folding cooker, little gas canister, kettle, coffee grinder aero press etc.

This goes in the drawer

Last edited:
Not sure this is what you meant...but we use this bargain £10 Ikea wardrobe as recommended by a caravanner, when onsite for at least 3/4 days. With 4 of us in the van it’s always a struggle to keep clothes tidy and this makes it a breeze: Vanessa window bags for the adults and the Ikea wardrobe has one of those hanging shelving units (also Ikea) for the kids stuff plus a few hangers for fleeces etc. Also a bag of shoes in the bottom, the decathlon microfibre towels on a shelf and another Ikea storage thing outside for all sorts of stuff. Written after a rum ‘n coke so sorry if a bit waffly!

69CD22F8-DE0A-4B6C-8055-A7F62F54D163.jpeg

A8E90A4B-8ADC-4E08-8B85-584DBE1E8169.jpeg

588AE0CA-10A1-4AEF-BB3C-D22860632BF6.jpeg

Last edited:
Not sure this is what you meant...but we use this bargain £10 Ikea wardrobe as recommended by a caravanner, when onsite for at least 3/4 days. With 4 of us in the van it’s always a struggle to keep clothes tidy and this makes it a breeze: Vanessa window bags for the adults and the Ikea wardrobe has one of those hanging shelving units (also Ikea) for the kids stuff plus a few hangers for fleeces etc. Also a bag of shoes in the bottom, the decathlon microfibre towels on a shelf and another Ikea storage thing outside for all sorts of stuff. Written after a rum ‘n coke so sorry if a bit waffly!

View attachment 49295

View attachment 49297

View attachment 49298

I think you need a driveway awning ?

Best thing we did was buy a Decathlon awning / tent as we put all our clothes and stuff in it to stop me getting grumpy because the van is messy. It's not a fancy driveway one but can be right next to the Cali if you want. We didn't do that in the pic below as the view was really good :)

It makes such a difference as you don't have to keep unpacking and repacking the van.

Also, packing cubes. One colour for each family member in a rucksack or holdall.

[/QUOTE]
we’ve got one ;)

Quick question before I order from NZ. Are the Van Essa window bags flexible across the bottom corners?
The fridge sits behind my pod so if the front bottom edge of the bag is too stiff it may not fit - see pictures.

Thanks Andy

P2281049.JPG

P2281050.JPG

P3041077.JPG

Interesting posts - we decided to go for these - medium sized “Plano” boxes they arewater proof and and pretty indestructible- can be used as a seat/table. 3 fit in a 3 seater nicely with a bit of room for some bits on top. We tend to leave them outside when camping so we can put the child seat in there out of the way. They make a nice campfire circle!
CFD740BD-F5B5-4A84-837E-FFDFA9F7A1AC.jpeg

I am intrigued by Bramco's very neat window shelf - is it a DIY job or something you can buy? I've done a bit of searching and I can't find anything similar.

View attachment 49174

We travel very light!

Is the window shelf a DIY job? It looks incredibly useful but I can't find anything similar online.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, and double sorry if it has already been mentioned, but...
What do people store on top of the rear wheel arches (inside the boot)?
Up to now, I’ve been stuffing small things like groundsheets and gas canisters here, but they slide off rather annoyingly during unpacking/shuffling. Could this be solved by a soft box, Velcro-taped underneath, perhaps? Or a thin board, to create a wall between the multiflex legs and the space above the wheel arch?

Back