Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bealach na ba - how terrifying or should we go the long way round?

S

Sleepytortoise

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Ok so how terrifying is the bealach na ba pass really?

I'm a bit of a nervous passenger when I have sheer drops to my side to contend with (obviously I blame the driver!).

So how terrifying is it really or is it all just part of its reputation? Will we plunge to our death or be divorced before we get to applecross or should we go the long way round?

Also any advice on whether to go for invercaimbe or camursdarach campsite on our way up the coast?

It's just a road. A nice route to drive to applecross.

It's fine - only an issue if there's lot of largish traffic coming towards you as it's tight for passing in places.
I'd recommend going clockwise - south to north, then carry on from Applecross to Sheildaig, it's a very pretty road near the North section. The only 'downside' is as the passenger, you'll be next to the 'edge'... but that section is only half a mile or so.

Don't be put off!

Last edited:
Done this several times in my old Defender but not yet in my Cali.
Don’t be put off by the sign at the start of the road where it tells you to think again about doing the run if you are of a nervous disposition. Yes it is a winding road, but if you take care and don’t be forced off the road by the odd moron, you will have no problem.
The fish and chips are good at the pub when you get there which is a bonus, if it’s not full that is!

Did it a few weeks ago. It was a cracking sunny day which we were grateful for. The views were absolutely world class especially on the ascent and at the top. As you probably know it’s single track with passing places. I used my horn on blind corners in case of traffic coming in the opposite direction. Much quicker to Applecross than the coastal route. I wouldn’t want to do it in anything bigger than a Cali but I did see a Hymer A class follow me down to Applecross !

It'a a lovely road, highly recommended but as others have said it is now overpopulated with great whites.

Many thanks everyone. Think I'm going to brave it if the sheer edge bit is only a short amount of the overall!

And apols this ended up in spotted - no idea how that happened as I was trying to post in the Scotland forum!

Not very dangerous. Just a narrow road. You might even find some time to enjoy the view while driving.

Driving up the Stelvio Pass or in Rome - that is considered a lot more adventurous.

It's a piece of cake done it more times than care to mention,just remember keep your tyres on the tarmac and you'll be fine

I was real lucky when i went up it. Hardly any traffic at all. Lovely drive. Then I noticed a HGV near the top on the real windy bit. They were carrying hardcore for some roadworks on the top. Now he got up no problem albeit very slowly!!!.

Done it in the California with no problem. Done it with a motorbike with fully loaded panniers 4 times. Just take it steady, keep looking for the passing points, give way to people coming up hill if you can.
If you meet a motorbike, remember they do not have a 'hand brake' or reverse gear! Dont squeeze passed like you might with a car. If you hit them, they will fall, possibly into you or over the edge! The rider has got little (if any) chance to manouvre if you try to force your way passed. Thank you.

As others have said, the Bealach na Ba is fine - exhilarating rather than terrifying.

On campsites, I prefer Camusdarach to Invercaimbe. However I’ve just stayed a couple of nights at Sunnyside Croft and you might want to try that? It’s literally a stone’s throw from Invercaimbe and shares the same beaches, has modern facilities and is well run.

Not very dangerous. Just a narrow road. You might even find some time to enjoy the view while driving.

Driving up the Stelvio Pass or in Rome - that is considered a lot more adventurous.
Stelvio. A gem.
Until a car hit us overtaking the Cali on one the 49 switchbacks!

1555958903072.png
If you are coming from the South, after Kishorn, turn left at Tornapress where you will see the warning signs for unsuitable vehicles, a straightforward narrowish road gently climbs Westwards. The section between the arrows marked is where there road has little room to the left although there are passing places... nearing the top of the pass, there are about 3 tight hairpins, nothing to worry about but have a look ahead for oncoming traffic as you need to swing wide to negotiate... after that, it is a pretty normal narrowish road again, down into Applecross. Either return or if you have time / good weather, carry on Northwards, round the top of Arrina and Eastwards to Sheildaig. The North - East section is stunning. Return to Kishorn by the main road South to complete a large loop, which should take around 2 hours.

I would advise doing the pass out of high season, ie avoid July / August, as it can be busy, with oncoming traffic, people not looking in front of them!

Done it in a 7.2m motorhome, sports bike, Westfield and a T5.1 you will be fine in fact if you miss it, it would be a shame TBH.
There's worse or better, personal opinion roads in Europe.

There are far worse roads in the UK. Been over it in vans and on a road bike. Nothing bad at all and lots of passing places. Although the pub is great, as is the restaurant heading N outside the village , the Kishorn seafood bar is also worth a visit.

Last edited:
Done it in the California with no problem. Done it with a motorbike with fully loaded panniers 4 times. Just take it steady, keep looking for the passing points, give way to people coming up hill if you can.
If you meet a motorbike, remember they do not have a 'hand brake' or reverse gear! Dont squeeze passed like you might with a car. If you hit them, they will fall, possibly into you or over the edge! The rider has got little (if any) chance to manouvre if you try to force your way passed. Thank you.
Many thanks. We're both former motorbikers so definitely would be considerate!

View attachment 43862
If you are coming from the South, after Kishorn, turn left at Tornapress where you will see the warning signs for unsuitable vehicles, a straightforward narrowish road gently climbs Westwards. The section between the arrows marked is where there road has little room to the left although there are passing places... nearing the top of the pass, there are about 3 tight hairpins, nothing to worry about but have a look ahead for oncoming traffic as you need to swing wide to negotiate... after that, it is a pretty normal narrowish road again, down into Applecross. Either return or if you have time / good weather, carry on Northwards, round the top of Arrina and Eastwards to Sheildaig. The North - East section is stunning. Return to Kishorn by the main road South to complete a large loop, which should take around 2 hours.

I would advise doing the pass out of high season, ie avoid July / August, as it can be busy, with oncoming traffic, people not looking in front of them!
Unfortunately it will be July. Restricted by school holidays. Which is part of my worry that it will be busier than other times. Many thanks for all the info though - v helpful