Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bearlock - Anyone any experience? Worth the money?

bxl_lad

bxl_lad

Its not easy being green...
Vehicle
T4 PopTop
Hi,
Looking to add some security to the T4. Have seen 'Bearlock', a physical device that locks the gear in reverse. Looks bullet proof, but is a bit pricey (around 550€ fitted). Anyone any experience of these? Recommended or alternatives?
Cheers!

Matt

I was looking at those as they look very convenient to use. Didn't realise they were so pricey, what is it unfitted? They didn't look difficult to fit.

I use a combination of a Clutch Claw and having a van that looks like it isn't worth stealing :)

Could be mistaken, but I think Hotel California has one of these fitted.

I was told around 400€ (euros, so around £310?) unfitted, but told that fitting is a little awkward as you really need to get well up underneath where the gearstick enters the cabin (also something about changing some linkages on the gearshift as once this is installed its nigh on impossible to get it off and so to be sure the links are already well maintained before covering them...). Told it was best to be done by an approved Bearlock fitter (but of course they would say that ;))...

...Being bright green, mine has a tendency to stand out a little! :D

Seems like a lot of money. Does it actually benefit you by reducing your insurance premium? The website, from what I can make of it with the help of Google Translate didn't seem to suggest it meets any official insurance approved standards. I may be mistaken.

Getting to the linkages is quite easy, everything is quite exposed once you've jacked the van up.

Only benefit is as an easy to use deterrent. Don't know about late T4s, but standard security on early vans is poor.

I have a Safe T pedal, very sturdy and a lot less money. Heavy though, very heavy.

Could be mistaken, but I think Hotel California has one of these fitted.

Indeed but on my T5 , find it very handy , no hassle putting it on . Just gear in P and turn key - pull out key and the other way arround to undo things.
Pricey , could be ...but what's cheap these days?
Fitting yourself is a no- go as the only sell it thru autorised dealers , don't thing you buy one without fitting it by them.

See here
http://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/bearlock-installed.4860/#post-86039

I use a Disklock on the steering wheel. Got to be tricky to get off in a hurry and only £60 from EBay. Probably have it nicked tonight now!

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Seems like a lot of money. Does it actually benefit you by reducing your insurance premium? The website, from what I can make of it with the help of Google Translate didn't seem to suggest it meets any official insurance approved standards. I may be mistaken.
We were thinking of security options when getting insurance quotes, and looked at this device because it looks pretty foolproof. Firstly it was difficult to find a cost for it, and secondly the insurers we had short listed didn’t provide any discount for having one fitted - the advice was to go for Thatcham approved immobilisers, and even then it wasn’t a massive reduction. Lastly, we saw that it is a permanent fit (the bolt heads are sheared off), and we didn’t know how this could impact the resale etc. So in the end we opted for a tracker and immobiliser.

I would think that any additional security is an added bonus on re-sale value (can't imagine anyone walking away from a potential buy because its more secure than the next option?) and the fact that its not easily removed is the whole point isn't it :cool:

Not sure how popular this device is in the UK, its from a Dutch company and so possibly why its not appearing so much on UK insurers lists? But I see them on a lot of Cali's I spot in Northern mainland Europe.

We've had this device for a number of years now. Its easy to use (its not a faf to engage/disengage it), it doesn't require any power (so won't drain your battery), isn't cumbersome (no big clunky devices floating around an already cramped van) and once installed no additional running costs/subscription fee's...

Of course no security device is infallible, but this thing should deter most opportunists and indeed slow down anyone determined enough who doesn't have a flatbed trailer.

Ours had a Bearlock when we bought it. The previous owner told us it was a requirement from the insurer. We get a. smaal, discount on the insurance premium due to having a Bearlock.

Hi,
Looking to add some security to the T4. Have seen 'Bearlock', a physical device that locks the gear in reverse. Looks bullet proof, but is a bit pricey (around 550€ fitted). Anyone any experience of these? Recommended or alternatives?
Cheers!

Matt
I use a heavy duty motorcycle chain lock and padlock
fasten seat frame to steering wheel after turning drivers seat through 180 degrees