Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Waxoil - worth the trouble?

bxl_lad

bxl_lad

Its not easy being green...
Vehicle
T4 PopTop
Hi... another pondering...:D
Anyone any thoughts on Waxoil'ing the underside of a T4.... Worth doing? Pro's/Con's, Do/Don'ts, techniques, special area's of attention...
I used to have a Defender and did this, but then an off-roading LandRover is a very different story.

Aim of course is protecting and prolonging the life of the van, but if this is not the way to do that?

Cheers,
Matt

I think it's best to do such things from new....
Or clean it all , remove rust ,....first on older verhicles.

Also think the underbody's of cars in genaral are better treaded from factory as they where 30-40y ago when "dinitrolling" was very popular.

Don't know if my assumings are making sense...

Just finished doing mine and I'd say definitely worth it. It's a complex place underneath and there are loads of places for surface rust to get hold. My chassis rails were perfect as they had been filled with wax at some point - factory I guess. I bought a cheap android endoscope off eBay and had a look inside. I treated any surface rust with Vactan then painted or sprayed over the whole lot with Dinitrol or Ankor Wax. Sprayed sills and inner wings with Dinitrol till it was running out of the drain holes. Messy job but satisfying and you get to know every inch of your van! I used driveway ramps, one side at a time and found I had loads of room. Definitely wear a hat and eye protection!!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

If you have any box sections or cavities it's well worth injecting waxoil into them but I'm not sure if it's durable if coated on an exposed surface

Mine was done 5 years ago and is still in place, so seems pretty durable to me.

Mine was done 5 years ago and is still in place, so seems pretty durable to me.
Perhaps it's not the same product as the Waxoil I've used which was quite thin and more oil than wax and said specifically "use where water collects" ie. inside doors and behind sills.

I used Ankor Wax and that seems to be holding up pretty well; time will tell!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Back