Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

RCD310 Upgrade

I’m not sure that’s correct about the Sat Nav and the parking sensor display?

Unless I've misread his reply, that's what Jason at Absolut5 has advised.

Ahh ok, Jason knows more than me, though it's probably that the units happen to have Sat Nav and parking sensor display.

Yes, I thought that was probably the case too. I've seen a few comments on other forums about people losing their sensor display when they've bought units without a Sat Nav.

Still pondering my options at the moment. If I want to keep the parking sensor display (which I do) then it looks like I'll need to spend upwards of £900 or go for the RDC510 which seems to have been around for about 10 years now so not at all up to date with the latest technology, but does give me the bits that I was after. That'll cost me about £500 fitted so quite a saving but I wonder whether either of the options would add to the vans desirability should I come to sell it one day but I suspect not.

The RCD510 wouldn't (in my experience) add any value, mostly as it has no Sat Nav and they are currently selling on eBay for £200, so in 2-3 years time even less.

Tech moves crazy fast these days, the newer units would be more future proof, but they are harder to use.

Having thought a bit more about the parking sensor display I'm just wondering whether it's something I could live without as, to be honest, I really only listen to the beeps rather than go by the display and I wonder if it might be cheaper to get a unit without a Sat Nav and have a rear camera fitted? If I can get a decent radio head with Android Auto, DAB etc for, say £500 and have a rear parking camera fitted for another £150-£200, that might work. I've just made up these numbers off the top of my head by the way so I don't know if they're in any way realistic. Just thinking out loud really. :)

Time for more research.

So, mini update, I was about to go for the RCD510 option but it looks like my cunning plan to go for a unit without sat nav (Kenwood Dmx7017dabs) but with a reversing camera added to overcome the loss of parking sensor display might be the solution. Just got to make a final decision on it but that's looking like the preferred option.

So, mini update, I was about to go for the RCD510 option but it looks like my cunning plan to go for a unit without sat nav (Kenwood Dmx7017dabs) but with a reversing camera added to overcome the loss of parking sensor display might be the solution. Just got to make a final decision on it but that's looking like the preferred option.
If you lose the parking sensor display does that mean the heating/air con settings are not shown on screen ?

Oh. That's a worry. Thanks for the heads up.

I've been having a rethink on my cunning plan anyway as I've been reading some reviews of Android Auto for playing music and they're not great Unlike Apple Car play you can't scroll down through a list of your music. The only way to select your music is by voice control which can be a bit temperamental and you need to remember the name of all your albums to request them.

With the DMX7107 only having 1 USB port that's a problem as you can't put your music on a memory stick and use Android Auto for navigation at the same time.

Back to square one it seems. I either spend upwards of £900 or go for the RCD510 at £539.

Hi, i had a 310 in my 2015 California T5.1 and last year installed the Kenwood DNX518VDABS. This was a straight swap and as it is VW approved it still retained all the controls for steering wheel, dash display and heating / AC. I retained the original sat nav & DAB antennas by purchasing adaptors to cross over from VW connector to Kenwood connections. The Kenwood has ‘Garmin’ sat nav built in but also car-play, two usb sockets and an hdmi socket (all fitted into glove box), youtube etc.. It also has a remote control so it can be controlled from the rear of the van when on sites. I also opted to install a front camera & a rear / underneath camera. Not going to lie, it isnt cheap but as a upgraded piece of kit it is far superior and over all usable compared to the factory original. Definitely one of our better upgrades :)