Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bed Stuck

Could you access the underneath and release the catch and then sleep up top for the trip?

I would try this also , but as there has been posted above dealer had to fix it ....
If you take out the drawer and the toolbox could give you acces to the underside and maybe the mecanism/cables

This i myself should try before spending 500£ for dealerfix or 2000£ on a new seat.

Could you access the underneath and release the catch and then sleep up top for the trip?
all the fixings go from the pull lever up inside the back of the seat which when down flat is not accessible. If you cut or force the back of the seat off to get to the Bowen cables you need to be careful not to cut the seat belts which also fit inside the back of the seat, which you would have to do by getting hands under the seat back via the boot.
could give you acces to the underside and maybe the mecanism/cables
it will not as above it is all inside the back of the seat not the base. I do not know if someone has a link to drawings and part numbers of the bench seat, if so it shows the parts involved someone posted for me when I 1st had issue but can not see the link now.

When our was stuck down we were away had to re-arrange the van but continued with rest of our holiday, difficult but not impossible had 3 days like this would have done more is no other choice but holiday up. If you are way in 5 days and you can not get a fix and you still want to go on your trip have a think about using your van in a slightly different way.

It is fixed!!! I'm just back from VW vans Edinburgh where the loveliest VW van service engineer in the world fixed it for free! I could have hugged him! He took off the seat back and said that some rod had come unhooked from something so he hooked it back on for me. Says it can happen if too much pressure is used lowering the bed. Definitely going to bring him back something from Sicily!

I didn't actually see him remove it but I am pretty sure that is what he said. I was there just under an hour. My Cali is 2006 -so pretty old but not sure if that makes a difference. Also when posts mentioned removing a plastic strap and I asked my husband what plastic strap? He said oh we removed that ages ago. I had always wondered why people fitted locks to their bench drawer when you could just lift up the seat!

Would not we all love to see how he fixed it!
...and now enjoy your trip...

That is a great result.
Wonder how this engineer got the seat back off but @Meoncoast's vw engineer couldn't??
ditto on that. - think it may be as they had to get to the bottom end of the seat back on
ours had come off part 5 where in joins part 6 on the picture and the cable was distorted. Have a good holiday.

Last edited:
I am struggling with the seat stuck down in the bed position and finding these posts helpful or at least like i'm not alone. Looks like mechanism is not releasing on the kitchen side, when the strap is pulled the drivers side moves slightly but the other won't budge.

So have taken the seat off it's mooring's as described in the manual (which didn't mention levering off the covers at the front of the floor rails), now ready to take the back panel off to see what the problem is.

Taking the back panel off is another mission, needs more research, found some useful looking links on this brilliant forum but will have to wait, it's a lovely sunny Sunday and beer o'clock.

Will keep you posted.
thumb_IMG_9502_1024.jpgs.

I am struggling with the seat stuck down in the bed position and finding these posts helpful or at least like i'm not alone. Looks like mechanism is not releasing on the kitchen side, when the strap is pulled the drivers side moves slightly but the other won't budge.

So have taken the seat off it's mooring's as described in the manual (which didn't mention levering off the covers at the front of the floor rails), now ready to take the back panel off to see what the problem is.

Taking the back panel off is another mission, needs more research, found some useful looking links on this brilliant forum but will have to wait, it's a lovely sunny Sunday and beer o'clock.

Will keep you posted.
View attachment 47226s.
Besides the screws there are lots of push fit connectors and brute force required.
This Drawing May help.
2B160A74-34DB-4600-914B-DA921EF49979.jpeg

Thanks for the helpful drawing - the mission continues.
Some people said they couldn't get the seat out when folded flat but we managed to take it off the rails and then tip it over to work on the back panel and looks like there is room to slide it out of the side door. Its a heavy rascal though so easier to work on it inside the van out of the rain.
Using another useful post (search 27214, thank you liaoyang) released the back cover without breaking it, still fastened by 2 fasteners at the bottom which can't be reached until the seat is upright. This gave enough access to discover it is not a simple fix, sigh, the arm 9 is not pulling up the release catch 6 (some numbered on the left and some the right) and parts 5a & 5b seem inaccessible inside the square steel section.

Next we removed the steel side cover under the seat which gives access to the release catch 6 - needed to remove the drawer runners and lots of hex screws. The catch levered up quite easily with a flat screwdriver, pulled the strap to release the other side and finally got the seat back up. Time for a cuppa and a think.

Photo1 shows panel before removal (seat belt mount had to come off to access one screw)
Photo 2 shows the catch, half way down on the right
Photo 3 shows close up of the catch

Does anyone know how 9 connects to 5B and then to 6 - need to find out where the linkage has failed and both connections seem to be inside the square steel section. Does the back come away from the base? Should I just go to a dealer? Do any garages in NW England know their way around these seats?

Besides the screws there are lots of push fit connectors and brute force required.
This Drawing May help.
View attachment 47227

Thanks for the helpful drawing - the mission continues.
Some people said they couldn't get the seat out when folded flat but we managed to take it off the rails and then tip it over to work on the back panel and looks like there is room to slide it out of the side door. Its a heavy rascal though so easier to work on it inside the van out of the rain.
Using another useful post (search 27214, thank you liaoyang) released the back cover without breaking it, still fastened by 2 fasteners at the bottom which can't be reached until the seat is upright. This gave enough access to discover it is not a simple fix, sigh, the arm 9 is not pulling up the release catch 6 (some numbered on the left and some the right) and parts 5a & 5b seem inaccessible inside the square steel section.

View attachment 47296

Next we removed the steel side cover under the seat which gives access to the release catch 6 - needed to remove the drawer runners and lots of hex screws. The catch levered up quite easily with a flat screwdriver, pulled the strap to release the other side and finally got the seat back up. Time for a cuppa and a think.

View attachment 47297View attachment 47298View attachment 47299
Photo1 shows panel before removal (seat belt mount had to come off to access one screw)
Photo 2 shows the catch, half way down on the right
Photo 3 shows close up of the catch

Does anyone know how 9 connects to 5B and then to 6 - need to find out where the linkage has failed and both connections seem to be inside the square steel section. Does the back come away from the base? Should I just go to a dealer? Do any garages in NW England know their way around these seats?

5 A/B is a Bowden cable connected to 9 { see above link }

Disconnecting 5 from 9 and removing Bolt 15 then the cable5 / compression spring 8 and Adjusting element 6 looks as if it can be removed Downwards.

Unless the 2 x Pins 7 can be removed in which case it may move Upwards.

Probably that Bowden Cable 5 has become detached or failed inside.

Arrgh! I joined the 'Bench Stuck in the Bed Position' club over the weekend. Gave the strap a tug, and after the usual 'clunk' - nothing. Cue an hour of frustration trying to get the bench back in it's usual position. Tried moving the bench on the rails, pushing and pulling on the bench back, and even pulled out the multiflex to see if anything was stuck back there.

IMG_1421.JPEG

I read a few helpful threads on the forum and it was clear something had gone wrong with the bench mechanism, but I wasn't really in a position to start taking it all to bits - besides, it's still under warranty.

So I eventually managed to find the mechanism that keeps the bench locked 'down', and pry it free. I took some photos of the process in hope that it'll be useful to anyone else with a stuck bench!

First, pull up the seat cushion - reach into the gap where the bench release strap comes from and pull up and back toward the driver's seat - the bench cushion will hinge from the front.

IMG_1422.JPEG

You might need to remove the webbing strap on the right hand (kitchen) side that prevents the bench cushion from fully opening - this is easily done with a short screwdriver with a posidrive bit, or a pair of scissors I suppose.

IMG_1424.JPEG

When you have the bench cushion up, you will be able to see the slider arms that the bench back slides on to form the bed position - there is one on each side, left and right. At the bottom of each f these slider arms there is a locking latch. It's this locking latch that causes the bench to be stuck in the bed position. It's next to the cross headed screw in the photo below.

IMG_1425.JPEG

It's possible to slide a medium flat headed screwdriver behind this pin, and move it upward into the slider arm which will enable the bench backrest to move freely again. If it's stiff to move it, put your bodyweight on the bench back (kneel on it) and it should free up the tension on the latch to enable you to move it.

IMG_1426.JPEG

If you're able to successfully pop the latch upwards toward the screw, then you should hear a 'click' and the bench backrest will able to return to it's 'seat' position again! Phew!

IMG_1429.JPEG

I hope this is useful, and saves someone else the pain of wondering how to get the bench back into 'seat' mode, after it gets stuck!

Last edited:
Arrgh! I joined the 'Bench Stuck in the Bed Position' club over the weekend. Gave the strap a tug, and after the usual 'clunk' - nothing. Cue an hour of frustration trying to get the bench back in it's usual position. Tried moving the bench on the rails, pushing and pulling on the bench back, and even pulled out the multiflex to see if anything was stuck back there.

View attachment 49355

I read a few helpful threads on the forum and it was clear something had gone wrong with the bench mechanism, but I wasn't really in a position to start taking it all to bits - besides, it's still under warranty.

So I eventually managed to find the mechanism that keeps the bench locked 'down', and pry it free. I took some photos of the process in hope that it'll be useful to anyone else with a stuck bench!

First, pull up the seat cushion - reach into the gap where the bench release strap comes from and pull up and back toward the driver's seat - the bench cushion will hinge from the front.

View attachment 49358

You might need to remove the webbing strap on the right hand (kitchen) side that prevents the bench cushion from fully opening - this is easily done with a short screwdriver with a posidrive bit, or a pair of scissors I suppose.

View attachment 49359

When you have the bench cushion up, you will be able to see the slider arms that the bench back slides on to form the bed position - there is one on each side, left and right. At the bottom of each f these slider arms there is a locking latch. It's this locking latch that causes the bench to be stuck in the bed position. It's next to the cross headed screw in the photo below.

View attachment 49361

It's possible to slide a medium flat headed screwdriver behind this pin, and move it upward into the slider arm which will enable the bench backrest to move freely again. If it's stiff to move it, put your bodyweight on the bench back (kneel on it) and it should free up the tension on the latch to enable you to move it.

View attachment 49360

If you're able to successfully pop the latch upwards toward the screw, then you should hear a 'click' and the bench backrest will able to return to it's 'seat' position again! Phew!

View attachment 49362

I hope this is useful, and saves someone else the pain of wondering how to get the bench back into 'seat' mode, after it gets stuck!
That’s great, I must print this out and keep it in the van just in case! :thumb

Edit: Just been out and checked our bench will pull up. It does. I never realised it could do this, I wished I’d known a few weeks back when the seat belt clip somehow went underneath and it took me ages struggling to get it back through from underneath!

Last edited:
This is amazing thank you! We’re in Germany with the seat stuck down and or two children with us - so travelling with it down isn’t an option! I’ve just managed to do this to release it to go up, tons saved me a huge amount of hassle and ruined end of holiday! The right hand side mechanism wasn’t working so this did the trick
However, we still have four days to go until our return home so does anyone know how to manually release it to put it down again? I’d love to be able to finish the holiday and sort it when we get home.

Thanks!

Jez

Scrub that, I got it. By removing that white strap I could get the angle to insert my lever into the same mechanism but now in the upright position. Needed the wife to hold up the seat and pull the loop to release the other side - but it gives us a means of operating the seat (albeit a pita!). Such an awesome forum, thank you to everyone who contributed to this thread and especially @Shuftie!!!

Excellent! So glad I was able to help someone else, enjoy the rest of your holiday!

Back