Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Detached seat strap on VW Cali

Clairmel

Clairmel

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Hi Guys, we have a Cali and this morning the strap to pull up the downstairs bed somehow came detached....eek. Bed now stuck down. Any ideas how we can fix??? Very grateful for any advice.

Hi Guys, we have a Cali and this morning the strap to pull up the downstairs bed somehow came detached....eek. Bed now stuck down. Any ideas how we can fix??? Very grateful for any advice.
Might depend on what vehicle you have, as according to your Avatar details you are " Looking to Buy ". If I kew which vehicle I might spend the time to look up the particular vehicle but without knowing I'm afraid I'm not prepared to spend the time checking out each year etc:. Sorry.

Ds
Might depend on what vehicle you have, as according to your Avatar details you are " Looking to Buy ". If I kew which vehicle I might spend the time to look up the particular vehicle but without knowing I'm afraid I'm not prepared to spend the time checking out each year etc:. Sorry.[/QUOTE
Might depend on what vehicle you have, as according to your Avatar details you are " Looking to Buy ". If I kew which vehicle I might spend the time to look up the particular vehicle but without knowing I'm afraid I'm not prepared to spend the time checking out each year etc:. Sorry.
Sorry, we have a 2017 California ...
Currently thinking it might be a proper problem as completely stuck flat. Guessing there must be cable in seat mechanism that has snapped. Just wondering if anyone has had similar issues / fix tips

Thank you.. Will check that out
Welcome :welcome:welcome:welcome:welcome

Do a "bed strap search" 2 pages of info
k

Sorry, have just updated. It is a 2017 Cali. Trying to do this on campsite, with duff phone. At least the sun is shining

Welcome :welcome:welcome:welcome:welcome

Do a "bed strap search" 2 pages of info
Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
Ds

Thank you.. Will check that out

k

Sorry, have just updated. It is a 2017 Cali. Trying to do this on campsite, with duff phone. At least the sun is shining

Thank you
I would suggest phoning VW Assist - that's what they are there for.

I would suggest phoning VW Assist - that's what they are there for.
Thank you. We did but the assist person that came out was sadly asking for ideas too. Guess bank holiday is a bad time for a problem. Was only asking hoping someone had a ray of light for us. Awaiting vehicle recovery now so guess it is over to VW. Thanks for suggestions.

If you take out the tool box that locates at the bottom of the bench seat, there is a small gap where you can access under the bench, not sure if this will allow access to realeae the catch. You would have to pull the draw forward. I got under the bench seat this way when fitting the seat cover (laying on my back from the boot); I'm sure it will be more difficult with the bed flat - just a thought

Wow!! That is an amazing diagram. Very very helpful. Thank you +++. We have the entire strap intact without the ring so guessing it is the ring that has somehow failed. Confirms it is more than we can fix here. Just glad we are stranded in a pretty place. ( Having 2 small children needing the back seat makes a stuck bed slightly catastrophic )

Thank you! We did have a good rummage but sadly no joy. Thanks for the tip
If you take out the tool box that locates at the bottom of the bench seat, there is a small gap where you can access under the bench, not sure if this will allow access to realeae the catch. You would have to pull the draw forward. I got under the bench seat this way when fitting the seat cover (laying on my back from the boot); I'm sure it will be more difficult with the bed flat - just a thought
hank

Our's broke at point 5 VW had to remove the (cut off) back plastic seat housing to release and get seat up right so they could remove the bench seat for repair. We contintued our holiday as there was only 2 of us.
I would get VW to transport the van to a dealer you trust and you home as you need rear seats for the kids Our fix took a good few days as parts needed ordering but once they got the seat out I took the van back without the seat and they fixed it and returned the van to have it popped back in once fixed. At least you are in warranty!

Yes. thank goodness for the warranty! Doesn't look like a simple fix. Amazing how something so little can cause chaos. Still we are home safe and will hopefully get things sorted. Glad your seat got fixed. Good to get a rough ball park estimate on how long the fix shoukd take. Thank you!

Our's broke at point 5 VW had to remove the (cut off) back plastic seat housing to release and get seat up right so they could remove the bench seat for repair. We contintued our holiday as there was only 2 of us.
I would get VW to transport the van to a dealer you trust and you home as you need rear seats for the kids Our fix took a good few days as parts needed ordering but once they got the seat out I took the van back without the seat and they fixed it and returned the van to have it popped back in once fixed. At least you are in warranty!

We had this issue on our 2017 Beach. Wife pulled the strap to drop the backrest and the strap came away in her hand. She's not strong enough for brute force to have been the issue!

Anyhow finally got it fixed under warranty but when I picked it up the strap was hanging down behind the backrest, so not accessible from the front. I've posted the strap through and it seems to work but it got me thinking as to whether the strap has been properly fixed (can't believe they gave it back to me like that). Is the strap usually visible from behind the seat?

eee20a1a1fd52c6bab3d38a212818f52.jpg

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

The issue we had with our strap sounds very similar to yours. It ended up being a fault that had arisen from the original fitting of the seat & nothing to do with any of our actions. Once fixed it was very obvious that there had been a problem as it always felt a bit awkward trying to lower the backrest. We had only owned the van for a couple of weeks when it happened. Once fixed we were aware how smooth & easy the operation of the seat back is. If you have any doubts about the functioning of the strap now you have your vehicle back I would query it now. The incorrect fitting of ours caused it to fail unexpectedly. If it fails when the seat is flat, like ours, you can not physically get to the mechanism without taking whole seat out.
Hope it is all OK & fixed for you but if any doubt, I would get it checked now.