Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bed to trunk

B

bramhuyghe

Vehicle
Just browsing
We are preparing our summer trip with our Cali and it gets you thinking... In our trunk(the lowest part) we put everything in boxes. It would be nice if we could reach this boxes, or a part of the boxes from the cabin when the seats are down.
In the morning we the first thing we need to do is prepare our kids. We are not so prepared :-D, so most of the times we need to take something small from the trunk. It would be so easy if we can just lift the matrass, open a "hatch" and get the thing we need. Without having to get out of the car in our underpants, opening the trunk-lid, take out the boxes etc...
Does anybody have an idea if we can buy this standard? Or did somebody already made something like this?
Thanks

It helps if your profile shows which California you own. As (the bedboard of) a beach is different then that of an Ocean. I am guessing you own an Ocean.

In my van (which was originally owned by a Belgian btw) part of the wired bed board was cut out. Presumably because the previous owner wanted to be able to reach something, like you do or store something that was taller then the hight of the bed board. But cutting too large a part away will destabilize the board.

A feasible option would be to replace the original board by a custom one made by yourself, with the exact same dimensions, to which you add a hatch, that opens upwards.

If you have a look at this thread you see for example that @Calimili made his own custom bed board. Just add a hatch in such a way that it doesn't impact the weight it can take.

photo from the above mentioned thread:
93354ccf-250f-4a15-a67f-a366f61d8045-jpeg.65442

Thanks for your answers!
ThomasHJ It is a T5 California(equal to ocean) but its a wooden board. In the T6 it is a metal frame. It would be a good idea to buy a T6 frame, and cut extra holes in it. But i wasn't able to find where i can order that. Any idea's? In the wooden board I wouldn't cut any holes, i don't think it would be strong enough.

[B]Hotel California[/B] Its a good idea, but if we are with four in the van, moving the seat forward is not that easy :-D.

S
Thanks for your answers!
ThomasHJ It is a T5 California(equal to ocean) but its a wooden board. In the T6 it is a metal frame. It would be a good idea to buy a T6 frame, and cut extra holes in it. But i wasn't able to find where i can order that. Any idea's? In the wooden board I wouldn't cut any holes, i don't think it would be strong enough.

[B]Hotel California[/B] Its a good idea, but if we are with four in the van, moving the seat forward is not that easy :-D.

So you have a VW T5 California Comfortline (like myself) which the British call 'VW California SE'.
If your board is made of wood, perhaps that was the case on the older models (pre T5.1) (I'm sure someone here can confirm whether that is indeed the case).

Personally I would not try to find a metal T5.1 or T6 frame. I would think they'd be quite hard to come by. I would also not cut a hole in your existing wooden board. I would get some wooden plating, copy your existing board and make a hatch in it. Should be easy enough, since you have the original.

You can make the closure of the hatch in such a way that when the hatch is closed, it can take the weight of people sleeping on it.

Like so:
plank2.jpg

(I can't draw at all, mind you)

In the past I have (when it was raining) opened the metal frame from the inside but it was a hassle. I'm kind of starting to like this idea. It would make it much easier (e.g. possible) to get stuff from the boot/trunk while not having to go outside.

Thanks, I might have a try, but I need a good think to figure out how to fix the 4 pins..

Back