Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bedding in or driving style?

I'll look again.

Half toggle disables cruise and then press up to resume cruise speed. Full toggle, switches cruise off completely if you have the proper Volkswagen cruise control.
So yes, no need to brake:thumb

I'll look again.

Yes, you are correct. I looked again this afternoon. That said, since I am often switching to coast in anticipation of a junction or speed limit the brake feels more natural. It really does take a featherlight touch to disengage the cruise.

There is a little switch on the cruise control arm, give that a flip...saves flashing your brake lights

I thought that until I checked. They don't come on until you have pressed the brake pedal down by about an inch. A light brush of the pedal to dis-engage cruise won't flash the brake lights.

Try it out at night when you have backed up to a wall or another vehicle. You will be surprised at how late in the pedal movement when the brake lights do come on.

Alan

No chance of getting above 40mpg in a Cali. Not in real world driving.
I would take Volkswagens figures with a pinch of salt.
I think that the difference is that the switch cancels the cruise control completely; tapping the brake disengages the cruise control but leaves the current speed setting in place so you can resume it easily.
On ACC with the MFD the cancel leaves the speed setting in place, so the same as the brake.

Just averaged 29mpg coming back through France. Cruise set to 140kph. Six hours. Not bad for a 13 yr old bus loaded up.

Cruise control for me is essential if traffic conditions permit. It returns +40 mpg no problems at all. I set it at about 58. No rush,no stress,more mpg.

Just averaged 29mpg coming back through France. Cruise set to 140kph. Six hours. Not bad for a 13 yr old bus loaded up.
You could have crept upto 143km/hr.:D

I measured the fuel consumption of my Cali. The first few tanks on my new 150DSG Ocean have been:

1. 32.27mpg (from new, driving v gently)

2. 30.61mpg (driving a bit faster and also quite a few shorter journeys)

3. 29.98mpg (doing quite a few miles towing heavy trailer)

4. 34mpg.
5. 34mpg
6. 38mpg.

The last three tanks were measured during long runs, fully laden, 4-up, motorway speed 65-75mph, mostly using ACC.

I've done almost 3000 miles in the first four weeks of Cali ownership and I'm pretty pleased with the fuel economy, considering how large and heavy the vehicle is.

Charles

I'm certainly hoping economy improves as the engine loosens up, was hoping for a little more than 32mpg (only covered 1000 miles at present).

Haha - To be fair I have had 99.9 on the display in that mode
When it says 99.9 it's actually using no fuel. If you have it in metric mode it'll read 0. I've had up to 50 on my ocean but that's going to work around 0300 so little traffic about! Off to Morocco in a couple of days until Ramadan so I'll post the figures when I get there. I'm anticipating 48+ but that'll be mostly on motorways. Could use the N roads to save on tolls but the detours would negate the savings on fuel in France. Spain is a different kettle of fish and having been a truck driver until my retirement I know good roads that are toll free.

I think that the difference is that the switch cancels the cruise control completely; tapping the brake disengages the cruise control but leaves the current speed setting in place so you can resume it easily.
Nope, give the switch a little flip right, ( cancel) and you can coast. Then press the side button at the top and you go back to the speed you had set.
I think if you push the top switch all the way to the right it turns off.

Nope, give the switch a little flip right, ( cancel) and you can coast. Then press the side button at the top and you go back to the speed you had set.
I think if you push the top switch all the way to the right it turns off.
Oops, just seen welshgas had already said this......

Have kept records of fuel consumption for 10.5 years and averaged 32.5 mpg
I got 46.2 to Dover; 47.1 Dunkerque to south of Bordeaux, that's including the Boulevard PĂ©ripherique round Paris and Bordeaux. Today from there to La Mancha 45.7 and I took the toll free roads. Think I landed on my feet with this one!

Odometer Mileage Fuel used -- MPG
----- 1600 ------ 511 ----- 72.91 --- 31.9
----- 2099 ------ 499 ----- 66.86 --- 34.0
----- 2690 ------ 591 ----- 72.81 --- 37.0

----- 3196 ------ 501 ----- 70.01 --- 32.9

So most likely driving style. 37 MPG included a long run to Devon, via Poole to pick up seat covers and Taunton to pick up solar panels, and back to SE London.

For the entire period of the 32.9 MPG, the average MPG (2) shown on the MFD was 37.7, an over-reading of nearly 15%.

----- 3196 ------ 501 ----- 70.01 --- 32.9

So most likely driving style. 37 MPG included a long run to Devon, via Poole to pick up seat covers and Taunton to pick up solar panels, and back to SE London.

For the entire period of the 32.9 MPG, the average MPG (2) shown on the MFD was 37.7, an over-reading of nearly 15%.
Wow, 591 miles between refills, that 80 ltr tank pays off, our Ocean is currently showing 45 on the MFD (2), I thought it was somewhat optimistic.
We are off on a long tour of the UK over the next month and I will check the brim to brims, just for fun.

our Ocean is currently showing 45 on the MFD (2), I thought it was somewhat optimistic.
So a question is, what is the MFD average MPG (2) showing, if it is not showing real MPG?

I have heard it suggested that it shows the potential MPG in ideal conditions, i.e. what the MPG would be if the vehicle were being driven under VW's test conditions (over-inflated tires, no wind resistance, empty vehicle, etc.) In other words, it is simply a rating on your driving style, calibrated to VW's MPG figures for that vehicle.

And there was I thinking it was something very clever like dividing the distance travelled by the fuel used, this being somehow metered by the ECU magic box!

That would be too honest.
I have three vehicles VW Cali, Audi and a Ford they all over read the MPG by roughly a similar amount 10%. Either the tech to measure mpg is no good or it is a deliberate ploy by manufacturers to make you think your vehicle is more efficient than it actually is. My vote is with the later.

So a question is, what is the MFD average MPG (2) showing, if it is not showing real MPG?

I have heard it suggested that it shows the potential MPG in ideal conditions, i.e. what the MPG would be if the vehicle were being driven under VW's test conditions (over-inflated tires, no wind resistance, empty vehicle, etc.) In other words, it is simply a rating on your driving style, calibrated to VW's MPG figures for that vehicle.
Memory 2 is showing Average Fuel Consumption over 19,999 miles, from new, and trips over at 20,000 miles and starts anew.
It does Not take account of fuel used by the Diesel Parking Heater and the Cold Start heater.

I have three vehicles VW Cali, Audi and a Ford they all over read the MPG by roughly a similar amount 10%. Either the tech to measure mpg is no good or it is a deliberate ploy by manufacturers to make you think your vehicle is more efficient than it actually is. My vote is with the later.
The EMU uses information from the fuel system and the Speedometer/Odometer which can be upto 10% inaccurate, either way but normally it overheads the speed so I presume probably has an effect on the odometer reading as well. Different tyre profiles and pressures altering the rolling radius of the wheels adds to this inaccuracy.

It's ALL fun and games.:thumb

Memory 2 is showing Average Fuel Consumption over 19,999 miles, from new, and trips over at 20,000 miles and starts anew.
It does Not take account of fuel used by the Diesel Parking Heater and the Cold Start heater.
On my Beach MPG (2) can be reset at anytime by pressing and holding the OK button.

My point was about the method of calculating MPG for MPG (2), as it doesn't appear to reflect the brim-to-brim calculations I have been doing, and I would be very shocked if my parking heater and cold start heater were using anything close to 15% of my diesel.

On my Beach MPG (2) can be reset at anytime by pressing and holding the OK button.

My point was about the method of calculating MPG for MPG (2), as it doesn't appear to reflect the brim-to-brim calculations I have been doing, and I would be very shocked if my parking heater and cold start heater were using anything close to 15% of my diesel.
Cannot reset Memory 2 on my T5.1 must be different on the T6. You'll have to sort it out yourself then. I didn't say The Heaters could use 15% of your diesel, but 5% is possible and then add that to the Speedo variation, tyre rolling radius variations as they warm up etc: certainly possible. The calculation is only a guide. Only fill - fill less of course diesel use for the heaters will give an accurate reading as long as the fill - fill volumes are accurate and consistent.