Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bellows replacement failed! What next

I admire their confidence inspiring transparency! thanks, I’ll call them and get the process started. It will be interesting to see if anyone has ‘waterproofed’ their bellows. I can see pinpricks of light through ours and not necessarily just the seams / zips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pinpricks of light are normal. It’s just the material they use, I wouldn’t let that worry you.

Last edited:
£10 can of Aquatex and a couple of coats on four thin vertical seams on all four extreme quarters..takes 10 mins, job done and no visible trace.
VW can only not include in their warranty as their tech team cannot confirm the content as not a Vw product…but as it’s made by Isobella a reputable awning fabric company I’m assuming their R&D has fully supported the contents that is effectively only silicon anyway.

Some dealers are even being pragmatic and honour any warranty themselves even if don’t have blanket Vw approval.

A topper can be useful as well and has other thermal benefits and if an issue is demonstrated you may be l lucky and get refunded for buying that peace of mind - but something else to carry - we all know the phrase - “ less is best”

The new version 5 bellows is a vast improvement on the disastrous experience some on this forum have endured and if there is still minimal seepage it can all be sorted quickly.

Don’t let this overwhelm your new van in a negative way ..get out there and enjoy your wonderful new Cali - life is too short!
Do you know the difference between versions 04S and 05S?

What was wrong with 04S that has been modified for this improved version?

I’m sure others will provide a fuller answer but I believe all of the version variations above O3S which was a new design just involved the inclusion of black tape in between the fabric at the window / zip seams where leakage was reported.
O4S appeared to deal with horizontal seam seepage and O5S in addition included vertical seams.
What appears to have been omitted on the O5S versions are just the four extreme corner vertical seams. Not being a part of the Zip these are much thinner in width and therefore perhaps this black tape could not easily be sewn in.? It would appear that some leak and some don’t? Perhaps at manufacture these are sprayed with a sealant and some process plants are more efficient than others…who knows? No one will tell you because no one knows except those clever German people who live in a secure vault at VWHQ. Mine just leaked on front offside corner seam.
If you haven’t got O5S version and have an issue it is worthwhile to get replacement as the risk of water ingress is minimises & any issues found afterwards can then be either be an endless series of replacements at dealer until you are lucky and you find one which is water tight or if you are willing to, spend 5 mins with a can of Aquatex , which although is not compliant with VW big bible will sort the issue and prevent you from being admitted to A&E with the onset of stomach ulcers through anxiety & Stress.
Of Course there are reports that OS3 & OS4 versions are watertight too, so it’s not an exact science but on the whole the later version you have the less damp the inside of your bellows will be after a deluge.

Many thanks for that update. And tell me in your experience are the roof toppers easy to put on? BTW I bought some fabsil to do the same job lol!
As contingency I use a Comfortz Topper - it's very good quality. Thanks to @ArunAlec, to help put it on, I use some rope, knotted at one end, threaded through the eyelets at the bottom of the front panel - this helps you guide it onto the roof, and then you can remove the rope.

If you are working on your own, lay the topper horizontally across the back of the roof, with the ropes dangling down each side. Raise the roof about 12", slide the rear corners of the topper over the edge of the roof to hold it, the then 'walk' the topper towards the front of the Cali with the rope, alternating each side to keep it even. When the front of the topper is at the front of the Cali, fit the corners over the edges of the roof and then raise the roof, checking the topper is draping fine. Then fit the bungees. With practice, that is taking me about 5-6 minutes. Reversing the process is about 3 minutes.

I have a topper, used in once when camping in winter, if you need a darkened upstairs then it is good, if you need it warm then it is good, if you have solar panels then it is useless. It does keep the bird poo off of the roof when camping

They just shouldn’t have shifted from their O3S bellows version in the first place and I’m sure that discussion has taken place in German many times behind closed doors
I was told by a dealer that the original 02S version (which I think is what you mean) were made in Ukraine. That caused supply issues, hence the newer version. Double layer supposed to be higher quality, which I would say it is. They feel very plush inside and no need for an isotop. The seam leakage was obviously a major issue, but not a major issue anymore and if some aquatex sorts everything else out I’d opt for the newer version over the older single skin bellows personally.

I have a topper, used in once when camping in winter, if you need a darkened upstairs then it is good, if you need it warm then it is good, if you have solar panels then it is useless. It does keep the bird poo off of the roof when camping
You can get Toppers that take account of Solar Panels either with a plastic roof window or no roof over the panels. I believe @Amarillo has one of the latter versions.

I was told by a dealer that the original 02S version (which I think is what you mean) were made in Ukraine. That caused supply issues, hence the newer version. Double layer supposed to be higher quality, which I would say it is. They feel very plush inside and no need for an isotop. The seam leakage was obviously a major issue, but not a major issue anymore and if some aquatex sorts everything else out I’d opt for the newer version over the older single skin bellows personally.
I agree, having used both single skinned and double skinned, the latter is much higher quality.

The test of spraying a hose at it is a bit of a sledgehammer to crack a walnut. It’s not often nature will mimic that volume of water directed at a small area.

I concur, spray some Aquatex on and move on with life. It’s better than months of pain deliberating with VW and endless trips to the dealer.

Unless of course the ingress is egregious.

Last edited:
Yes I meant OS2… which is what I had on my previous van

I believe @Amarillo has one of the latter versions.
I have one too. It's a faff to fix because of the need to secure the "inside" edge forming the open rectangle round the solar panel(s)

Yes I meant OS2… which is what I had on my previous van
I never had leaks on my T6 ocean 2016, have no leaks on my T6.1 2022 ocean. Don't know the version number of these bellows but maybe you can try to get one of these older versions ?

Many thanks for that update. And tell me in your experience are the roof toppers easy to put on? BTW I bought some fabsil to do the same job lol!
The purser screen is very easy

And in your opinion (anyone) what is the best roof topper to buy and where?

I purchased the Comfortz caliwarp from the club shop (don't forget your discount code). As others say, you need a foot stool to reach the sides for threading it past the struts, its easier with 2 people. After sales were great when I broke one of the front struts in the wind.

I looked at the thinner toppers that cover the whole roof but wanted an insulated one. One of the reviews said the thin ones are quite noisy in windy conditions. I was also worried it could scratch when it's installed on a dirty roof.

Everybody will say the one they have is great. I found one YouTube video comparing covers, so not much info out there.

Rainbow screens simple to use , works great no issues with solar panels , great choice of colours/designs!

I had one came with my t6 pain in the butt to put on and off need some short steps, sold it after couple of goes.

I purchased the Comfortz caliwarp from the club shop (don't forget your discount code). As others say, you need a foot stool to reach the sides for threading it past the struts, its easier with 2 people. After sales were great when I broke one of the front struts in the wind.

I looked at the thinner toppers that cover the whole roof but wanted an insulated one. One of the reviews said the thin ones are quite noisy in windy conditions. I was also worried it could scratch when it's installed on a dirty roof.

Everybody will say the one they have is great. I found one YouTube video comparing covers, so not much info out there.
We have a Cali Wrap (courtesy of VWEO) and really like it. It’s well insulated and makes a big difference to the feel inside the pop top. It’s invaluable in more extreme temperatures (particularly in the cold) but it is a bit of a faff still to erect and to take down and pack away afterwards. We tend not to use unless absolutely necessary.

Last edited:
I just can’t begin to imagine what a monumental faff it must be fitting toppers etc and removing them in the rain etc. Another bag of wet junk to cart around. Seriously?

Once you start fitting toppers, you may as well give up and buy a tent.
Leaking Poptops means the product isn’t fit for purpose.
My 2012 & 2017 vans never had a single drop penetrate through…

Our bellows leaked on our 2023 6.1 Ocean, and we recently had a replacement with new 05 bellows. Sorry to say that this replacement also leaked. I’m reluctant to change it again. I contacted VW in Milton Keynes who have been managing this case and they have offered, as a “goodwill” the opportunity for me to buy a roof topper and send VW the bill for a cost up to £500. My question to the forum is,
1) what have others done in this scenario and
2) how effective and useful is a roof topper?
Any advice is appreciated
Many thanks
We are currently in Austria where it's been quite warm and wet, we have our topper with us but we find it makes the van too warm as it reduces ventilation in the upper bed area and van generally.

That's great in colder conditions but not when it's warm and wet.

Fortunately our 10 year old bellows don't leak.

I now have the 05S bellow, this is the 5th set of replacement's bellows
I’ve had my £500 good will as well as the cost of a wrap even though some others have had £2000 good will
The thing that really amazes me is that VW are spending hundreds of thousands on this on going problem when they could bulk buy aquatex at the cost of five quid a tin and solve the issue over night. So, why aren’t they ?

Our bellows leaked on our 2023 6.1 Ocean, and we recently had a replacement with new 05 bellows. Sorry to say that this replacement also leaked. I’m reluctant to change it again. I contacted VW in Milton Keynes who have been managing this case and they have offered, as a “goodwill” the opportunity for me to buy a roof topper and send VW the bill for a cost up to £500. My question to the forum is,
1) what have others done in this scenario and
2) how effective and useful is a roof topper?
Any advice is appreciated
Many thanks
Hello, I have a California ocean 2016 plate, owned from new, we had our bellows replaced with the new double skinned bellows in May.
I read all the posts in this forum around the leaking issues and I applied Aquatex via aerosol to both sides of the bellows , especially the seams and zips, we have been touring in Wales all through July and August with some very heavy rain and so far no water has penetrated the membrane.
We bought a padded winter topper for insurance it fits really well and no rain gets through it but the bellows are trustworthy since applying the Aquatex.
Hope this is helpful.

I admire their confidence inspiring transparency! thanks, I’ll call them and get the process started. It will be interesting to see if anyone has ‘waterproofed’ their bellows. I can see pinpricks of light through ours and not necessarily just the seams / zips.

We sprayed ours and works just fine Had the offer of replacement under warranty but with so many reports of replacements leaking what was the point. Spaying worked and no leaks in heavy rain.

I have pin pricks on my 2022 single skin older type bellows, but no leaks. The difference perhaps is that my fabric absorbs nothing the water just rolls off, certainly if Aquatex solves the issue then water absorbency of the new fabric could explain the difference.

I now have the 05S bellow, this is the 5th set of replacement's bellows
I’ve had my £500 good will as well as the cost of a wrap even though some others have had £2000 good will
The thing that really amazes me is that VW are spending hundreds of thousands on this on going problem when they could bulk buy aquatex at the cost of five quid a tin and solve the issue over night. So, why aren’t they ?
The problem as I see it is that they will need to be re-Aquatex’d at some point. Will you do that or will VW? If you forget and water ingress damages the electronics further down the road - possibly when you’re out of warranty - will you go after VW for recompense or will you pay for the damage yourself? It’s more complicated than just an initial treatment IMO.