Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bellows replacement failed! What next

The problem as I see it is that they will need to be re-Aquatex’d at some point. Will you do that or will VW? If you forget and water ingress damages the electronics further down the road - possibly when you’re out of warranty - will you go after VW for recompense or will you pay for the damage yourself? It’s more complicated than just an initial treatment IMO.
My plan on this is to keep monitoring for leaks and if necessary apply a top up coat of Aquatex as required.

If I find a top up is needed more frequently than once a year, I will stop applying the Aquatex at that point and then pursue a replacement whilst the Cali is still under warranty.

I guess it is still too early for any of us to judge the long term effectiveness of Aquatex.
But several members who had suffered some pretty heavy leakage on the seams earlier this year have used their Cali's frequently in bad weather since applying Aquatex and as far as I am aware nobody has yet reported that the Aquatex has failed.

I would rather spend £10 on Aquatex and a few minutes of my time than mess around trailing 20 odd miles to and from the nearest VW Commercial Centre for them to fit something that may be no better at this stage and risk collateral damage to my vehicle in the process with their repair work!!

The problem as I see it is that they will need to be re-Aquatex’d at some point. Will you do that or will VW? If you forget and water ingress damages the electronics further down the road - possibly when you’re out of warranty - will you go after VW for recompense or will you pay for the damage yourself? It’s more complicated than just an initial treatment IMO.
Your over thinking - Aquatex application to the seams takes under 5 mins and you wouldn’t know you have been there…on the later versions tge leaking was only a dribble…Aquatex stops this in its tracks and if it needs another 5 min squirt each year I’m happy with that …but it may be ok for the rest of its natural life. One of the instructions is to only apply to clean material…washing first if not, so it’s logical to apply to any newly fitted bellows if you are happy with the Vw warranty caveat …although they wouldn’t know you had applied it anyway as it leaves no trace …if it keeps the water out there’s not going to be a further warranty claim anyway.

Yeah, it’s as complicated as you make it, VW California’s are about freedom , not getting locked into conflict , Aquatex every May and enjoy the summer I say….

Once you start fitting toppers, you may as well give up and buy a tent.
Leaking Poptops means the product isn’t fit for purpose.
My 2012 & 2017 vans never had a single drop penetrate through…
For comparison and understanding - did you use the pop top in all weather conditions?

Only asking as this would be what I expect it should be capable of. It sounds like your bags withstood everything you threw at them?

Agreed on this. Ours shipped a ton of water this weekend.

Such that the headliner in the cab has large watermarks.

It’s working ok for now. I only wonder what might happen if anything corrodes.

Agreed on this. Ours shipped a ton of water this weekend.

Such that the headliner in the cab has large watermarks.

It’s working ok for now. I only wonder what might happen if anything corrodes.
by the time it corrodes VW will disclaim any wrong doing

It nice to see that people are starting to follow the advice that was given at the start of the New Bellows leaking saga. Aquatex, Nikwax or Fabseal are all used everyday in the Awning and camping world to seal and waterproof tents, I admit that at £80,000 for a van you would think VW would treat them before they leave the factory and they may well be doing that now. But you cant stop making holes in a material when you stitch it together..........!!!!!