Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Best accessory for Cali

I hate those mieces to pieces!

(peanut butter works really well as bait)

Looks like your original was made of 'cheese' cloth. Haha. Geddit? :D

Fromage maybe? I've a feeling we imported the destructive little ****er from France.

Had the corner off the upstairs mattress and took a bite out of the windscreen curtain.

That's me voting"sortie".

Gutted for you. Was it a big job to swap? Ours is suffering from a bit of light rot at the narrow end. The 'gaffer' tape sandwich is holding up well but I think a new canvas is lurking somewhere on the horizon.

image.jpeg Easier than I expected. To be fair, we've had the van 5 years and the roof was quite second hand when we got it.

The job took about 5 hours.
Start at the top. Remove all of the ally trim from inside.

Outside, pull out the rubber seal from the roof section and gently pull it around the van.
Pull the old roof over the top.

Put the new roof in place. Start again at the top. Line up the corners and start to replace the trims.
I found you can put the trims in place with the screws just started in their holes.
This allows you to feed the bead of the canvas into the groove before nipping up

Once all four corners are in place the sides/ends line up perfectly.

Same again at the bottom. Pull the canvas down over the channel on the roof and, starting midships above the windscreen begin to feed in the rubber seal. I found pushing in the upper edge of the seal pulls the canvas bead into place automatically.
Once all the way around both sides go round again with a blunt tool ( food chopping board, 5mm, cut up to 50mm wide and knock in the lower section of the seal. See pic.

Job done.

Top job. Looks very tidy. I think when daughter No.1's feet appear outside next this job may be on the cards. :Nailbiting

should have used bungie :(

great looking repair

Back