Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Wireless Internet Access

Addie..I am still wanting to explore the options...could you dm me (can't see your contact details on the forum), Chris

Gary&Heather said:
Hi everybody

I'm glad I found this thread I also have one of these in my Cali i'm not altogether familiar with computer stuff if I can plug it in and it works great The problem I've got is that the computer I set it up with is the only one that can connect to the router unless I leave the channel on open but then anybody can connect to it my local van centre hasn't got a clue if I tried to connect from another computer with the network key it refuses it And will not let me connect to the router any ideas :crazy

Gary

Panic over guys all sorted now just a senior moment :doh
Happy now :bananadance :upsidedown :bananadance :upsidedown

Gary

Did anyone else pursue post delivery internet/router options? I did with Addie (on this thread, www.motorhomewifi.com) who promised a better and cheaper solution, but am not now getting any responses to emails. I managed to find one other organisation (www.in-carpc.co.uk and www.in-carpc.co.uk/blog/4/200/The-Perfe ... ersion.htm) that are in this field and their price for what is probably a better solution than VW is £890 plus vat, so quite a bit more than the factory option. It is surprising that there is not more interest from providers in this, especially for campervans/motor homes...being able to work effectively from 'home' makes the van into a very attractive proposition for the likes of me who only need to touch base with an actual office every so often.

I bought the directional iboost system from motorhomewifi and have found it to be excellent.

Update on my last post..my last four messages to Addie had gone to his junk mail...so he is more contactable that it seemed. He is putting a 4G package together with aerials etc and should be able to offer a decent system shortly (see contact urls in previous post) for anyone without the VW factory installed router who wants improved internet while on the move.

ooh, looking forward to hearing more...!
one of the unexpected bonuses of having the Cali is the ability to use it as a mobile office..great while I'm waiting for the kids at the their gymastics training, but I can't always park close enough to the gym wall to pick up the wifi, so was wondering what other solutions might be out there.
I shall await further info with baited breath! :thanks

Further update: we bought the Netgear Aircard 762S 4G router from www.motorhomewifi.com/ and have been using it with a Three SIM and no external aerial quite successfully, charging from a 12v socket. This is good because when you go away from the van you can take it with you (it has up to 10 hours battery) and enjoy good connectivity. This is a not plumbed in solution and sometimes we have had 3G but not of a useable strength. To develop this further we need to add a decent aerial and a direct power supply so here's the plan:

We get a 4G window mounted MIMO (www.motorhomewifi.com/product/4g-netgea ... t-antenna/) device and mount it on the blacked out window in the wardrobe (SE owners only). I am pretty sure that the sliding window cover will clear it when slid back into the wardrobe space. We mount the router with velcro on the outside of the wardrobe above where the fridge lid will reach when opening and route the aerial wire through (somehow)- this will allow it to be easily detached if we want to take it out with us.

I don't know about the power supply, but an aux battery resides very near at the base of the wardrobe; again I'm not an auto-electrician but it should surely be easy to get power from that up through the wardrobe to the router.

Anyone got any thoughts on this- I can't see snags, but others may? I probably need someone to get the power and route the cables in a professional way.

Sounds really good, very interested in how you get on/how well it works. Especially aerial reception through double-glazed window. Keep us posted (with pics)!

Final update on this- see pictures for installation. Decided to put it all in the wardrobe. Both router and aerial are velcro'd on so can be easily taken elsewhere if needed. Power cable routed down in the cavity behind the wardrobe and back cupboard and connected via online fuse directly to the aux battery in cupboard below. Aerial on blacked out wardrobe window and concealed from internal view when window blind is open (the aerial is very low profile and causes no obstruction; double glazed glass is not an issue). We got all the bits from Motorhomewifi who are very helpful (club deal under negotiation), and SIM on monthly contract from Three. Extra help for really professional wiring from our good Cali neighbour Raggedroy.
Other notes: we should really get a PAYG EE sim too in case it wins over Three in some coverage areas. We intend getting a EuropaSim for when we go to Spain later (the router is unlocked so takes any SIM).
The connectivity has been quite impressive so far. At our very rural home where mobiles of from any provider struggle we are getting 5mbps off the router- the aerial seems to make a massive difference.
Parts are:
Netgear Aircard 762S (4g router)
4G Mimo Antenna
Bare wire power supply (router also comes with USB cable)
In line fuse holder + 2A fuse, plus various connectors for battery etc.
SIM

router blind hides aerial.JPG installation showing aerial on glass.JPG

Hi this sounds like a great solution,do you mind me asking what sort of costs are involved in fitting all this eqipment ?

thanks for posting this.
I too am interested in cost.
also, I need to check out if my ipad will take a 3 micro sim card.

With this type of solution, does it become important regarding the orientation of your vehicle??

Well fitting costs were zero, though I am grateful to kindness of fellow Cali owner helping to route the wires and connect to battery (not that it is either difficult or complex).
Orientation: too early to say, but the aerial is omnidirectional, so it will depend on whether the van is shielding at all- don't think so.
Costs: this exploration started when I realised too late that I hadn't specified internet on the new van, followed by the discovery that it would be both better and cheaper to DIY, so roughly:
Router: £120
Aerial: £70
Power supply: £5
(VW ( only 3G) £700)

Larkrise said:
Well fitting costs were zero, though I am grateful to kindness of fellow Cali owner helping to route the wires and connect to battery (not that it is either difficult or complex).
Orientation: too early to say, but the aerial is omnidirectional, so it will depend on whether the van is shielding at all- don't think so.
Costs: this exploration started when I realised too late that I hadn't specified internet on the new van, followed by the discovery that it would be both better and cheaper to DIY, so roughly:
Router: £120
Aerial: £70
Power supply: £5
(VW ( only 3G) £700)

That's great thank you ,it's a no brainer at that sort of cost versus vw option :thanks

A very neat and cost effective solution.

One question, as you have powered this from the rear leisure battery do you leave permanently powered?

Alan

Yes, permanently powered; I am still unsure about usage/ drain. I can't imagine it will be much but I am watching it.

Just bumping this thread to see if any others did a Netgear router installation? I am finding that the heat in the wardrobe space is causing problems with the router locking up. This router has a temp range 0-35C- so I wonder if this is an issue for vehicles that will get very warm when left in warm sun. Any experience to share?

My EE Buzzard has sat on the dash of my Cali getting stupidly hot for nearly two months now... not missed a beat!!

Sounds good. An advantage of the Netgear is that is can take any data SIM, so you can swap to get best coverage or when abroad. Also it has external aerials for better reception. Can you connect multiple devices to the Buzzard? I am thinking that part of the essential spec for an in car router must be high temperature tolerance. I see that the Lesswire VW Installed router goes up to 75c operating temp which sounds a lot more sensible than 35c.

The Buzzard can wireless connect 10 devices simultaneously, but is locked to EE UK so data connection abroad is likely to be more expensive than local sim cards.

My concern (perhaps unfounded) with using a local sim would be getting the correct settings for that Network or Carrier. The last time I tried this is was a challenge, but perhaps things are simpler now!

Well we did actually get in a bit of a mess in Ireland with a EuropaSim and spent way more than we intended... but that was our lack of care with the config..I think we have that sorted now!

Back