Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Best family cycling areas in France?

Aidy P

Aidy P

Don't play that 'What If?' game, you'll never win!
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
We’re planning on heading to France next week. For the first time we’re taking our own bikes.

My daughters are 12&10 now and both have full size adult bikes so we’re looking for recommendations for fun, scenic and fairly easy (ie flat ... not mountains) places to go. Lakes, rivers and coast are always a good option so a nice swim can be had.

We’ve nothing booked. As usual we’ll head towards the sun

Il de Re is on our list as is Lake Annecy as we’ve been to both before.

All recommendations appreciated. Thanks

Search for 'voie verte'. Or just follow this link for an English decription. It's a 70 km cycling-route through nice green scenery on a special road for cyclists, that used to be a railroad. No cars allowed. It's easy to do for both adults and kids. This one, the original, is in Burgundy, but I believe there are several throughout France now. We did it a while back and really liked it.

Ile de Re is fantastic, very safe cycling have been three times and our kids loved it!
Everyone cycles, brilliant cycle lanes mostly off road covering the whole island.
Can recommend camping La Grainetiere, not overly big, centrally located nr La Flotte with excellent facilities.
Enjoy.

We’re planning on heading to France next week. For the first time we’re taking our own bikes.

My daughters are 12&10 now and both have full size adult bikes so we’re looking for recommendations for fun, scenic and fairly easy (ie flat ... not mountains) places to go. Lakes, rivers and coast are always a good option so a nice swim can be had.

We’ve nothing booked. As usual we’ll head towards the sun

Il de Re is on our list as is Lake Annecy as we’ve been to both before.

All recommendations appreciated. Thanks

I’m heading to Annecy Friday...If you head down that way look out for me!

lle de Re and Oleron are both bike friendly.
I think you can also cycle a large section of the Atlantic coast a bit further down.

Cap Ferret has some cycle routes too.

Thanks everyone. Trial run of getting all four bikes on the van went well.

What’s the difference between Ile de Re and Oleron? Which has better routes? I’ve been to Il de Re before and stayed in Ars en Re and hired bikes for the North where the salt pans are.

Going to get the map out later and try and pick some spots on the way down from Calais. As usual it will depend on the weather (and now any Covid spikes) as we tend not to book. Could just as easily end up back at Lake Annecy!!

We briefly went to Dune du Pilat a couple of year ago and Cap Ferret looked a lovely piece of coast.

I like the sound of the Voie Verte too. The kids like flat riding through scenery so old railway lines are ideal.

As usual too many options. But that is the beauty of the California. You can head in a general direction with a few ideas and see where it takes you.

C2783460-F81E-423B-8FA6-80BA986B181D.jpeg

Ile de Re is fantastic, very safe cycling have been three times and our kids loved it!
Everyone cycles, brilliant cycle lanes mostly off road covering the whole island.
Can recommend camping La Grainetiere, not overly big, centrally located nr La Flotte with excellent facilities.
Enjoy.
Totally agree, absolutely fabulous, you won't regret it....

There are some nice cycle tracks around Le Crotoy, which isn't too far from Calais. Might be worth considering for a day or two as stopover.

There are some nice cycle tracks around Le Crotoy, which isn't too far from Calais. Might be worth considering for a day or two as stopover.
Thanks. That could work well as a first stop over as we don’t arrive in Calais until 4pm. Have you any site recommendations that you’ve enjoyed?

Les Marguerites was great- small and the owner super friendly. Quite a simple place which we like

Nearly all canals in France have motor traffic free tow paths alongside. The Avenue Verte between Dieppe and Forges-les-Eaux is pristine, wide but lacking in character. There is a cycle path following most of the Loire, but apart from through towns, much of it is a long way from the river bank.

So for character you really need hills or mountains.

But as others have said, Île d'Oléron is a good cycle friendly place.

Lots of cycle tracks in Landes around Moliets, Vieux Boucau, Soustons: great beaches too.836E7D41-10B3-4C28-BCBD-63DAA578E87C.png

my sister in law who lives in France told us in the past that the Ile de Ré is where the posh Parisians have their weekend houses. We’ve been to both islands and you could say that the Ile d’Oleron is like Padstow whereas the Ile de Ré is like Rock. Very similar but one is more expensive that the other. Good bike routes on both islands

Brittany has an abundance of cycle tracks and easy to do social distancing. Great for paddle boarding etc etc. Central Brittany really great and very quiet and very pretty.

I’m heading to Annecy Friday...If you head down that way look out for me!
Converted rail track for walkers, cyclists and very high speed roller blade skiers there. Cycled around the lake and the high side was fast downhill section. Talking to the Campsite Owner later he said that many cyclists get knocked off by cars there and locals don't risk it.

We have found this map very useful for helping to find campsites near the Voies Vertes network of off road cycle routes.

We have found this map very useful for helping to find campsites near the Voies Vertes network of off road cycle routes.
Thanks. I’ve ordered that.

Canal du midi is great for cycling between Toulouse and Sete. Campsites along the route can link you to Carcassonne and Béziers and also the south coast. In places it can be a little sparse where the plane trees have been removed, whereas in others, you can enjoy a cycle ride in beautiful surroundings.

Well we made it to France. 280 miles from Yorkshire to Folkestone. A no charge earlier crossing option. 60 miles to Le Crotoy. Quick stock up from Carrefour.

Van set up for the night. Bikes off. Ride into Le Crotoy from the site and some al fresco dining of Moules Roquefort. Looking forward to exploring the area properly on bikes today.

Kids are loving having the bikes. It’s going to be a different holiday with the freedom to explore.

I wonder where we will go next. I love our van

6A2486A0-68DB-4A0B-BDC5-64A55A990A54.jpeg

Back