Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Best small van with a fixed toliet?

I am always perplexed by the need for a fixed toilet in small camper vans, unless said toilet is enclosed in a large private space the only real advantage is the larger capacity of the reservoir.
The portable toilet can of course also be used in a separate tent or the awning "if necessary".
As ever whatever floats your boat.
This is what I was thinking, but perhaps when the need for a fixed toilet arrives I will understand the difference in usage between a fixed toilet and a porta potti. For now though, can anyone explain? Is it stability? The height of the toilet?

After I sold our Cali :talktothehand we have gone to a six meter Elddis van conversion with fixed double bed and front dinette with shower room not that it's big enough for a comfortable shower but the toilet works well. No more rearranging and after a long day you can just fall straight in to bed. I used to hate making the bed up in the Cali, usually with one of us stood outside.

This is what I was thinking, but perhaps when the need for a fixed toilet arrives I will understand the difference in usage between a fixed toilet and a porta potti. For now though, can anyone explain? Is it stability? The height of the toilet?

As you "don't get it" why should anyone explain it?

I am always perplexed by the need for a fixed toilet in small camper vans, unless said toilet is enclosed in a large private space the only real advantage is the larger capacity of the reservoir.
The portable toilet can of course also be used in a separate tent or the awning "if necessary".
As ever whatever floats your boat.

It just goes to show how there are so many different lifestyles shared across the Cali community.

As my average stay is less than three nights, with 0ver 60% being two nights, I do not bother with an awning, toilet tent or anything else and besides I don't want to be leaping out of the camper every time I need a pee. Of course the passengers I often have with me, who are not intimate family members, would also prefer not to use a porta-potti in an open area whenever we pull into a lay-by for a comfort break, but then not everyone shares my dislike for service areas.

Then there is the convenience of course, I tried every ingenious way possible to secure my porta-potti, but in the end I just got sick of it being in the way when parked up, sliding about when moving or inconveniently stored when needed. Of course the idea that the space it is contained in is a waste of space is illusory as on the move it is an incredibly handy storage space, in inclement weather it is an excellent drying area, it is somewhere to keep a rubbish bag and a laundry bag, in fact it serves so many uses, and of course a shower head with running hot water coming out of it is ever so useful even if not used for a shower.

Just goes to show, horses for courses and I love my horse. I also loved both my Californias but the way I used it meant sometimes it got a bit wearing to keep moving things around and I needed those extra creature comforts. Strange world isn't it how we are all different.

Last edited:
Both. Also not having to go outside at night (especially if lone traveller). Useful if facilities are not very clean too.

I hope this question is suitable to post, I thought forum members would have a wealth of experience they might be able to share.
I love a Cali - I think it is probably the best camper there is, however as time goes on I am probably going to need a fixed toliet especially for those night time visitations (or even when parked up in the day).
I don’t feel that a shower is a necessity.
Preferably 5.4m length could push to 6m.
I know that this has probably been asked before but there may be new options on the market? Thank you!

th
Hi @Finlay . We too feel the need for an onboard loo.
At the moment we manage with a PortaPotti in our long wheelbase Transporter.
When my wife retires and we start to get away more I will be taking another look at Bilbo’s Nexa+
Andy

Hi @Finlay . We too feel the need for an onboard loo.
At the moment we manage with a PortaPotti in our long wheelbase Transporter.
When my wife retires and we start to get away more I will be taking another look at Bilbo’s Nexa+
Andy

Those look great. Only downside is that it will only support 2 of you.

Not realy something for me know.

On the other note I realy envy you brits/uk people. Here in Belgium there are no real converters. We only have what exists on the market. Or we need to travel acros borders to be accomedated.

As you "don't get it" why should anyone explain it?
Calm your horses. I'm just asking if someone can explain why they favour a fixed toilet rather then a portapotti. It's a genuine question and it was meant seriously and friendly. I'm genuinly interested in the answer. I don't think my question warrants the response you gave me. Perhaps something got lost in translation?

Calm your horses. I'm just asking if someone can explain why they favour a fixed toilet rather then a portapotti. It's a genuine question and it was meant seriously and friendly. I'm genuinly interested in the answer. I don't think my question warrants the response you gave me. Perhaps something got lost in translation?

My horses are quite calm. Perhaps something was lost in the translation. I can never accept that someone "should explain themselves" just because someone else thinks differently to them. If my translation of the question was wrong then I apologise.

I can only explain my individual motives, as in post 30 of this thread.As always I can only speak for myself as , thankfully, we are all individuals with individual needs.

Again apologies if I misconstrued the angle of the question.

Last edited:
Because it’s screened off in its own area, rather than doing your business where you cook, eat & sleep.

For me it is more an inconvinace when you are away, and the need to go suddenly pops up with the either five year old or me. You have to stop somewhere and fetch the loo out of the boot. Close the blinds for some privacy.
Then for me it is more practical to move myself in the back and close the rear blind. Otherwhise you are already in a private spot.
But like all say. It is a choice you have/need to make yourself.

Posts like this confirm that everyone needs to understand their use cases before making a purchase. I started with a pop top and porta poti and that worked, but my use case and desires left a lot to be desired. I ended up upgrading to a 4motion club joker high roof.

I “work from van” quite often as opposed to live parking up lakefront and having an office (or as my wife would say, van cave) on wheels ready to go. Pop out the table and work and have hot water, shower and toilet on hand without any fuss.

Being in Switzerland it’s also pleasing to have a fairly good isolated high roof van, that is only 5.3 meters in length. I can fit in any parking space excluding underground car parks. The horror! Everyone warned me about the high roof and difficulties I would face. I haven’t had issues at all in nearly 2 years. Going to the French seaside, parking near the beach to surf, shopping and finding external parking, or going to the office at Zurich airport and finding an external parking space close by. Nor in winter going up snow covered mountain passes to spend the night in -10C and snowboard the next morning.

What’s your use case? Going to campsites anytime you explore? Porta poti and facilities are not really an issue. Like to not worry or think about things and just park up and have it all ready to go? Consider high roofs, Keplers, Club Jokers, and Ducati based vans.

We can all be happy if we know what we need/want! I want no fuss and quick setup in any weather. I also found my high roof to be much more stealthy when parking anywhere for a nights sleep. Popping the top was obvious.

This topic can be debated until the cows come home but it all depends on what we want from our vans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can confirm that an High top is more sthealy. Having hot water is also an plus.
The downside is this will be our daily driver.
The more car like for us please.

We rented a ocean for a week and went on holiday to see if this was us. Net next one will be a rent for the same period to see if this will suit us more. I am glad to have done this. At least we know how it feels.

I can confirm that an High top is more sthealy. Having hot water is also an plus.
The downside is this will be our daily driver.
The more car like for us please.

We rented a ocean for a week and went on holiday to see if this was us. Net next one will be a rent for the same period to see if this will suit us more. I am glad to have done this. At least we know how it feels.

Hot water can be retrofitted to any Cali. For a low top I’d suggest looking at Keplers, Club Joker City, or the low top Nugget. Want something modular like a Beach but a little more? Take a look at Spacemaker based on the VW Transporter. Great move to rent and figure out what really works for you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My horses are quite calm. Perhaps something was lost in the translation. I can never accept that someone "should explain themselves" just because someone else thinks differently to them. If my translation of the question was wrong then I apologise.

I can only explain my individual motives, as in post 30 of this thread.As always I can only speak for myself as , thankfully, we are all individuals with individual needs.

Again apologies if I misconstrued the angle of the question.

@GrannyJen

I wasn't ordering anyone to 'explain themselve'. Was just asking if someone could explain why one would choose/need a fixed toilet over a portapotti, because in my situation / use case I don't see much of a difference between the two. No apologies needed if you didn't mean your comment in a bad way. :)

Now the above replies by @Ch1pbutty and @DevillBelgium pointed out some reasons to prefer a fixed toilet I hadn't thought of before. They don't apply to my situation, but I can understand that they might apply for others.

@GrannyJen

I wasn't ordering anyone to 'explain themselve'. Was just asking if someone could explain why one would choose/need a fixed toilet over a portapotti, because in my situation / use case I don't see much of a difference between the two. No apologies needed if you didn't mean your comment in a bad way. :)

Now the above replies by @Ch1pbutty and @DevillBelgium pointed out some reasons to prefer a fixed toilet I hadn't thought of before. They don't apply to my situation, but I can understand that they might apply for others.
if you pop to post 30 you will read my reasons. Having lived with a port potty in the van for 10 years it finally started to drive me mad!!

You can pay £45 a night for a Premier Inn, it has bath, shower, toilet unlimited hot water and electricity, sometimes even get your breakfast thrown in! These days you can pay that for a nice site with an EHU for your Cali with a primitive porta potti sat next to your cooker.
I'm so glad I've joined this number as from a rational point of view Campers don't sense but I'm more excited about getting mine than any hotel stay I can recall !!!!!!!!!

Knaus Vansation based on a T6.1?

I rented one for 3 weeks traveling to Norway...

Needless to say I was quite not impressed with the van. If you wanna know why, I can write up a review.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

You can pay £45 a night for a Premier Inn, it has bath, shower, toilet unlimited hot water and electricity, sometimes even get your breakfast thrown in! These days you can pay that for a nice site with an EHU for your Cali with a primitive porta potti sat next to your cooker.
I'm so glad I've joined this number as from a rational point of view Campers don't sense but I'm more excited about getting mine than any hotel stay I can recall !!!!!!!!!

I hear the "I can get a hotel for that!" argument so often but I always want to ask "but why would you want one?"...

My camper is a far more, to me, preferable place to be than any hotel room. Sleeping in someone else's bed, listening to someone else television just down the hall, having none of my own creature comforts to hand, having p*ssed people walking past my door talking and laughing noisily, .....

During the centenary events for WW1 I was often asked to travel to France and Belgium and give a talk after dinner and always promised a "lovely room in the hotel", to which my response was "just find me a lovely corner in the car park".

Give me my camper any day.

Mojave beige is lovely but beige puts people off & it is 5 yo. Mind you, I have just bought an 18 plate small van & it's mint.
That seems pretty expensive to me for a 5 year old vehicle, it's done a fair few miles and the seats are starting to look a bit tatty!
Well that Club Joker I posted from Autotrader has now sold after 4 days! By comparison, my returned California is still on the forecourt of Eurovans after 4+ weeks!

Well that Club Joker I posted from Autotrader has now sold after 4 days! By comparison, my returned California is still on the forecourt of Eurovans after 4+ weeks!
Many more Californias for sale than club jokers: it seems logical to me that it was sold quickly. They are rare and those who want one jump on it. Regardless of the price. FYI: a good T4 Westfalia California is also sold within a few days and at a good price. I can relate.

Back