Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Fixed toilet in the Cali

crazygrandad

crazygrandad

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
As a loan traveller I am going to convert my passenger seat area to a washroom with fixed toilet & wash hand basin which will make me more self contained as I tend to wild camp most of the time. I was looking to install a shower as well but there is a lack of headroom.

Has anyone else done this mod?

@estresao did make a shower in his beach , there's a topic on it.
Guess the main concern is the small fresh water tank.

As a loan traveller I am going to convert my passenger seat area to a washroom with fixed toilet & wash hand basin which will make me more self contained as I tend to wild camp most of the time. I was looking to install a shower as well but there is a lack of headroom.

Do you travel abroad?

Still trying to work out the thinking behind your query WG.

Ever used a French toilet ....the real deal i mean....:Depressed

WTAF?

Will be a 'convenience' for hitchhikers...

Still think a shower is overkill in a Cali you also need hot water running for a shower or else you might as well trow a bucket tap water over your head , and whats wrong with a portable toilet ?
Do you want to be able to pull out the waste tank from outside the verhicle like the big -whites....how will you manage this on a Cali?

Just stick to the basics ....;)

This sounds ingenious, I am also another solo traveller. Are you looking to partition the area off from the main van? I suppose you could use a wrap around curtain or maybe a shower curtain.

Why not buy a westfalia city Joker? Cali sized with a proper (as proper as you can get) loo.

It also has a shower (and tray).

The major criticism of it, is the downstairs bed in too narrow for 2, but that won't worry you traveling alone.

Last edited:
As others have said if you require a fixed toilet and a washroom. You have the wrong van for your needs.

I've done this to my van but wanted to keep it looking factory for resale, so I just cut a big hole in the passenger seat and stuck a toilet underneath the seat. I had to move the leisure battery but no big deal.

The benefit of this approach is you can still carry passengers and even better they can use the facilities while on the move :)

I've done this to my van but wanted to keep it looking factory for resale, so I just cut a big hole in the passenger seat and stuck a toilet underneath the seat. I had to move the leisure battery but no big deal.

The benefit of this approach is you can still carry passengers and even better they can use the facilities while on the move :)
OR, while in 'motion'

Now i hope @crazygrandad does not feel offended by the comments .
If that is the thing he wants and needs , his call... no need to turn the tread in a laugh.
As i wrote my thaughts i was keeping it clean thistime;)

We have ordered the actual toilet today, we went for a Dometic Traveller as the base is nice and compact with a small footprint so we should not need to move the battery too far.

49446n.jpg

Last edited:
I have also been looking at curtains and feel something like this would work well with a good quality shower curtain, it may need some modification due to the hatch.

Traditional-850mm-Chrome-Double-Support-Circular-Shower-Curtain-Rail_p.jpg

Really!
Why don't you just carry an emergency wee bottle, or just do what a bear does, when wild camping:thumb

Back