Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Failed solar panel?

S

spitzie

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Looks like my solar panel has failed. The app show 0 watts from the last few weeks and a multimeter connected to the connector from the panel show 0 volts on a bright sunny day. There appears to be no damage to the panel and the cables have connectivity all the way to the Victron unit.
Anybody recommend anything else I can check before purchasing a new panel?
Thanks

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Looks like my solar panel has failed. The app show 0 watts from the last few weeks and a multimeter connected to the connector from the panel show 0 volts on a bright sunny day. There appears to be no damage to the panel and the cables have connectivity all the way to the Victron unit.
Anybody recommend anything else I can check before purchasing a new panel?
Thanks

How old is the Panel ?

If you can get the cover off the connection box on the panel you will probably see a diode in there. Try unsoldering the diode and then check again for voltage. If there's nothing then it looks like its had it.
We hada two panels fail over about fifteen years, no apparent reason. I guess it's just one of the foil conections between cells break.

Mine failed after a year.
May be a dodgy batch - mine were replaced free of charge

How old is the Panel ?
2-3 years old.

If you can get the cover off the connection box on the panel you will probably see a diode in there. Try unsoldering the diode and then check again for voltage. If there's nothing then it looks like its had it.
We hada two panels fail over about fifteen years, no apparent reason. I guess it's just one of the foil conections between cells break.
I'll have a look at opening the connection box and checking the diode

I have two panels. Like wise early 2019 vintage. One is definitely failed and the second one Im not sure. I have the same problem 0w. However the one Im not sure on delivers current when shorted and open cct voltage ok BUT when connected only 12v at the victron so Victron doesnt kick in. Checked wiring etc. I shorted it and measured amp and voltage at the same time and its 4a at 0.14v.
Im suspicious of the last Victron firmware update recently. Anyway I have ordered a new panel to see if its that or the Victron itself.
Will let you know.

OK the panel just arrived. Sun just coming up. I have connected it and guess what we are away again. The readings at the victron input are 0.8 A at 22.5v under load so delivering about 1.5A to battery. For reference the failed panels are the black ETFE ones and were supplied by Photonic Universe in 2018 as it turns out and they look identical to the ones Roger supplied for a while.
Replaced with a TP Solar 100w selected because it operates at a higher voltage than most 12v panels. Its thinner but looks a better finished product. Not sure whether I will buy a second this time round.

OK the panel just arrived. Sun just coming up. I have connected it and guess what we are away again. The readings at the victron input are 0.8 A at 22.5v under load so delivering about 1.5A to battery. For reference the failed panels are the black ETFE ones and were supplied by Photonic Universe in 2018 as it turns out and they look identical to the ones Roger supplied for a while.
Replaced with a TP Solar 100w selected because it operates at a higher voltage than most 12v panels. Its thinner but looks a better finished product. Not sure whether I will buy a second this time round.
Been in contact with the supplier and they were very helpful. The panel is out of warranty, but they asked me to send them photos of the panel and a multimeter reading. They are going to supply a replacement panel at a vastly reduced cost.

Been in contact with the supplier and they were very helpful. The panel is out of warranty, but they asked me to send them photos of the panel and a multimeter reading. They are going to supply a replacement panel at a vastly reduced cost.

I did contact my supplier after the event and said warranty is 12 months and would do me a discount on a replacement plus tech support etc. I second guessed so went with another supplier and product as overall Im not happy with two failed panels within weeks so not putting more money with this supplier. Probably the same outfit by the sound of it. Email from a chap called Sam ?. Hope yours all works out.

I thought about panels for a while, but didn't want to fit one to the roof of my nearly new Ocean. Anyway, got a 120W flexible panel plus control unit from Amazon for £56! It fits snugly on the dashboard and has been keeping my main and leisure batteries topped up without any problem (at the moment I'm just plugging it into the 12V van sockets as the control unit. It covers the dash and you could drive with it fixed there, if not for the reflection on the inside of the screen (like a head up display), so not doing that. Its very easy to remove and refit and sits snugly on the rear shelf (reversed of course), when driving around.

Further to above - it does say in the manual not to connect any generating sources to the 12V sockets (I'm guessing this to to avoid over-voltage mainly and also fuses blowing), but this is controlled at present. Don't suggest anyone else does this. The next job is to get it connected direct to the leisure battery via a suitably fused connection.