Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bicycle or no bicycle - that is the question

We’ve just returned from 2 weeks in Brittany and used the bikes almost every day. Very glad we had them. Just left the Van on the site and used the bikes to get around.

its possible to open the tailgate with the bikes on. Just needs a couple of people. You need to be very careful if the roof is up though.

We’ve just returned from 2 weeks in Brittany and used the bikes almost every day. Very glad we had them. Just left the Van on the site and used the bikes to get around.

its possible to open the tailgate with the bikes on. Just needs a couple of people. You need to be very careful if the roof is up though.
Don’t think I would even attempt lifting the rear tailgate with bikes on and roof up. Recipe for disaster.

Sorry, that was a bit brief. I Just bought a Thule Easyfold XT2 and modified it to allow opening our Cali Ocean tailgate.
Here is a video of the project: vid

I even bought a custom made case for my Brompton

View attachment 100098
Nice! Could you fit two of them in the boot d’ya reckon?

We have just returned from a 4 week jolly around France and carried our two Brommies in the boot……. A tight fit but workable for those few times we used them. Did limit the amount of wine we could bring back though!

Last edited:
Folding bikes stored in the cali (space permitting) make perfect sense. There when you need them and tucked away when you don't.
They take up far too much precious space for me. Tow bar mounted rack is the best solution by far - but I acknowledge it is expensive. Well worth it though - we use our bikes almost every time we pitch up, and with the lockable rack arms plus the bikes locked to each other, I feel they are secure enough left on the carrier.

Nice! Could you fit two of them in the boot d’ya reckon?

We have just returned from a 4 week jolly around France and carried our two Brommies in the boot……. A tight fit but workable for those few times we used them. Did limit the amount of wine we could bring back though!
We carried our two folding ebikes on the floor in front of the bench seat, secured with a d-ring, it worked very well for us (leaving room in the boot for the duty free) but there’s only two of us so no passengers on the bench seat. I guess it wouldn’t work if there’s four of you, or if you’re not using campsites - once we were on a pitch it was very quick to get them out, we locked them to each other and they were fine on a five week trip round France.
I guess it also won’t work if your bikes are not foldable, that was why we bought folding bikes.

Sorry, that was a bit brief. I Just bought a Thule Easyfold XT2 and modified it to allow opening our Cali Ocean tailgate.
Here is a video of the project: vid
@cliffhanger01: Thanks for those videos which I am going to study. It is kind of you (like Will & Sara of Californiatime) to choose to share your modifications this way.

BTW, It looks like both your links are to the same video.

Last edited:
@cliffhanger01: Thanks for those videos which I am going to study. It is kind of you (like Will & Sara of Californiatime) to choose to share your modifications this way.

BTW, It looks like both your links are to the same video.
Thanks - Yes, they are to the same video. I could not work out how to edit my first post to better introduce the video. Cheers,

Do you have one? I’ve been looking at them for a while, but read about a lot of people getting injured from riding them which has put me off.
Yes I have,
It's like surfing on concrete
And yes you will fall part of the game.
But when you feel the board after a lot of cruising. It's insane

Yes I have,
It's like surfing on concrete
And yes you will fall part of the game.
But when you feel the board after a lot of cruising. It's insane
I used to snowboard a lot so I’m used to a fall.

But I have read on Reddit about people getting hurt due to the onewheel throwing them off.

Would you say this is because they are pushing past their / the onewheel’s limit.

Or can you get random bad falls when your used to it and cruising?

We would not be without our bikes on holiday, you can see so much more exploring on the bikes and they are very useful for trips to the shops or out for meals without moving the van.

We have a tow ball mounted rack, perfect for us.
Which rack do you have? I am currently looking at the

Atera GENIO PRO Advanced bike carrier (2 to 3 bikes) but at £475 plus a bag its a bit pricey but you can fully open the rear door with the bikes attached.

Which rack do you have? I am currently looking at the

Atera GENIO PRO Advanced bike carrier (2 to 3 bikes) but at £475 plus a bag its a bit pricey but you can fully open the rear door with the bikes attached.

We have an Atera DL3, note you need the DL3 to be able to open the tail gate. The three bike version also gives more width for fitting modern mountain bikes, we use the two outer positions for our bikes leaving a space in the centre.

PXL_20220809_133042084.jpg

Atera GENIO PRO Advanced
Rack3.jpg
I have that bike rack. It is perfect for us. Sorry I don't have one with tailgate open, but it pivots 90 degrees with ease, and the tailgate passes it cleanly with not need to rotate handlebars. Recommended.

Last edited:
Back