Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bicycle or no bicycle - that is the question

29942191-8855-4069-AEFB-68E461B4AA84.jpeg
Tilted position, then the tailgate clears. Depending on bike style the bike nearest the tailgate might benefit from rotating the handle bars 90degrees but a good rack.

View attachment 101643
I have that bike rack. It is perfect for us. Sorry I don't have one with tailgate open, but it pivots 90 degrees with ease, and the tailgate passes it cleanly with not need to rotate handlebars. Recommended.
Thank you. I was looking at this too. The Atera GENIO PRO Advanced (2 to 3 bikes) folds up quite small for winter storage though, but is about £100 more expensive than the one you have. I may go for yours though.

Thank you. I was looking at this too. The Atera GENIO PRO Advanced (2 to 3 bikes) folds up quite small for winter storage though, but is about £100 more expensive than the one you have. I may go for yours though.
Mine folds up for storage in its bag too. I see I missed the word 'Advanced' and have looked that one up too. They look the same, but the advanced is heavier? I see the 'non-advanced' isn't available from Atera either.
Bit confused whether mine is an 'advanced' actually.

Thats what I was thinking.
Surely he hasn't buggered off on holiday without keeping us
updated.
He did. Sorry about that. And we went without bikes and could have used them.

My favourite phrase at the moment: Better to have something you don't need, rather than, than not have something you do need.

I am now deliberating a couple of low cycle carriers.

Better to have something you don't need, rather than, than not have something you do need.
Reminds me of Christian Slater's line in the excellent True Romance:
"If there's one thing this last week has taught me, it's better to have a gun and not need it than to need a gun and not have it."

My favourite phrase at the moment: Better to have something you don't need, rather than, than not have something you do need.
We have a 3 trip rule. If something isn’t used within 3 trips, it’s removed and rarely missed with the exception of the first aid kit, tool kit and snow socks.
IMO, bikes are always necessary when travelling over to the continent. The only time I consider leaving them at home, is long trips to Cornwall. Where there is very little cycle infrastructure…

Reminds me of Christian Slater's line in the excellent True Romance:
"If there's one thing this last week has taught me, it's better to have a gun and not need it than to need a gun and not have it."
That's what I meant to say but got it a bit mixed up.

I have now ordered the Atera DL 3 - arriving today. I love the Brompton but they are very expensive and take up too much room in the van. And we already have very good mountain bikes, well one good one and one Halford's one.

Thank you everyone for responding and offering solutions etc.

I have now ordered the Atera DL 3 - arriving today. I love the Brompton but they are very expensive and take up too much room in the van. And we already have very good mountain bikes, well one good one and one Halford's one.

Thank you everyone for responding and offering solutions etc.

Good choice.
Mines 10 years old and still working well. It’s had a few bumps and scrapes, but still works and carries 2 ebikes and a kids mountain bike.

Is it just me or is this rapidly turning into a bicycle forum?

No reply necessary as it will quickly turn nasty. It always does!

And yes I do have one.

na, just a feeble attempt at offsetting the carbon footprint of the gas guzzling monster that we all drive ;)

Is the increase in carbon from carting bikes around Europe offset by using our bikes for short journeys such as to/from the supermarket once we arrive at our destination?

Is the increase in carbon from carting bikes around Europe offset by using our bikes for short journeys such as to/from the supermarket once we arrive at our destination?

Two main factors to consider on comparison would be distance travelled in either case and a certain factor for increased pollution from short start stop journeys in city.

Definitely a way in which all people should start thinking - how can we truly offset the pollution that is sometimes inevitable :thumb (other than spending a lot of time taking a train or rowing a boat to get to places). Cycling definitely offsets. An electric car less so.

Thank you everyone. My question is a bit like, "what shoes should I take, or how many jackets" It all comes down to personal preference. When we haven't had the bikes we have never wished we had them, but when we have taken them, we have used them, but infrequently.

Last we year cycled along the prom at Benidorm, but walked the prom a Marbella. We tend to stay on campsites and many do hire out bikes. And we do like walking.

Next question, do we take the inflatable kyak or SUP board? ONLY JOKING!
Fit an Altera towball rack, take two electric bikes, and two Gumotex Safari inflatable kayaks under the back shelf. Works for us. Not joking!

Back