Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Big favour - anyone in Poole who could help us view a 2008 Cali?

VWCoastbusters

VWCoastbusters

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Coast 150
Hi all

We're newbie Cali buyers and going to see a second hand Cali in Poole this weekend. We were going to buy new but finances now look to be problematic, so second hand is probably our best bet.

Big favour, but is there anyone local to Poole who would be willing to view with us? We know some of the obvious things to check, but have really only been looking at new before, so not sure what to look for on an older one.

Or any tips for this age range Cali would be great.

Thanks

Hi all

We're newbie Cali buyers and going to see a second hand Cali in Poole this weekend. We were going to buy new but finances now look to be problematic, so second hand is probably our best bet.

Big favour, but is there anyone local to Poole who would be willing to view with us? We know some of the obvious things to check, but have really only been looking at new before, so not sure what to look for on an older one.

Or any tips for this age range Cali would be great.

Thanks
Unfortunately I'm unable to help you , too far away and travelling north this weekend.

Remember there are 2 facets to the California.
1. The vehicle itself. Low mileage does not necessarily mean trouble free. Someone, a mechanic, who knows about cars/vans could be useful, or even a RAC or AA vehicle check. A good owner, confident in his vehicle would be happy to have this done.
2. The Camping side of things is different. There are a number of Checklists available in the VIP Downloads section that are helpful.

You've not said how old it is - year & model?

Unfortunately I'm unable to help you , too far away and travelling north this weekend.

Remember there are 2 facets to the California.
1. The vehicle itself. Low mileage does not necessarily mean trouble free. Someone, a mechanic, who knows about cars/vans could be useful, or even a RAC or AA vehicle check. A good owner, confident in his vehicle would be happy to have this done.
2. The Camping side of things is different. There are a number of Checklists available in the VIP Downloads section that are helpful.
Good points - other half will become a VIP for the info. Thanks for the tips

Any link to ad?

If I had not bought my SE last week I'd be all over the white 13 plate Beach listed on AT today. Spot on spec.

Oh and TBH if it's all sound and priced right it should sell over the phone in a day or so at this time of year. I speak from experience! ;)

Given the spec, mileage and it's a dealer that is very fairly priced and the 2.5 autos are cracking vehicles. 95 % of the interior is effectively the same as a new £65k Cali.

Run it for a year or two or whatever and you should lose very little, maybe nothing the way prices are going.

If it all checks out I'd buy it. I've looked at a lot of Calis over the years and I take a good 1 to 1.5 hrs to fully check one over and that's before a test drive!

Given the spec, mileage and it's a dealer that is very fairly priced and the 2.5 autos are cracking vehicles. 95 % of the interior is effectively the same as a new £65k Cali.

If it all checks out I'd buy it. I've looked at a lot of Calis over the years and I take a good 1 to 1.5 hrs to fully check one over and that's before a test drive!
Thanks for this - we thought it looked pretty fair (depending on the condition when we see it) and the dealer seemed decent. Fingers crossed.

I'd get a deposit down with an understanding that it's refundable if not as described. As I say speaking from experience...
Ok - will see what we can do

Looks cool to me & all the essentials in place (a lot standard, but has heater / aircon / swivel seats / autobox & cruise).

I'd concentrate on the mechanicals rather than the cosmetics eg: it's not been in a shunt, underchassis damage, service & bills in file etc - give him a deposit subject to an AA / RAC inspection if anything makes you nervous?

Looks cool to me & all the essentials in place (a lot standard, but has heater / aircon / swivel seats / autobox & cruise).

I'd concentrate on the mechanicals rather than the cosmetics eg: it's not been in a shunt, underchassis damage, service & bills in file etc - give him a deposit subject to an AA / RAC inspection if anything makes you nervous?
Great tips - thank you. The RAC/AA thing is definitely a plan

It looks a goodun, and appears to have a 6 month warranty as well.

Fine line between being too picky & walking away versus getting over excited & buying anything you can afford ... You'll not really know what you actually need until you start looking for the next one :D

Whilst high-residuals are a blessing once you're an owner, it's a drag as a buyer - however it's unlikely you'd ever be stuck with it for long (or lose much money) if you decide to up/downgrade in time.

Good luck!

Hmmmm, the more I've looked at it I knew it was for sale earlier this year. I remember enquiring about it to the same dealer some months back.

Remember too bring curious that there was an awning handle but no awning....

They never did get back to me, remember that too!

Still, if all legit I really think it's a cracking price. That could easily be a lot more.

Shame no awning or bike rack though, I'd negotiate on that basis.

Just so you know I'm pretty sure I'm right in saying the auto 174 is in the higher tax bracket to the manual so £500+. GOV website also says it's not been taxed since August 2016 & mot ran out in march 17 so either the seller has had it a while or the last owners sorn'd it for the last year

Yep definitely £245.
Looks immaculate but photos don't always tell the whole story.
If you view just make sure everything works - get the roof up and inspect for any damage to the canvas, check the camper control unit at the top of the windscreen and make sure the display is fully visible with no missing lines as the units are £750 to replace.
That was my 2nd favourite colour at the time we bought ours in 2009 so if all looks ok and you're serious then get it bought!
Stuff like awnings can be added afterwards, it's got manual air con rather than climate control but you don't miss that if you've never had it.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Just so you know I'm pretty sure I'm right in saying the auto 174 is in the higher tax bracket to the manual so £500+. GOV website also says it's not been taxed since August 2016 & mot ran out in march 17 so either the seller has had it a while or the last owners sorn'd it for the last year
It's a 2008 model, you've got the latest April 2017 reg. VED rates.

Back