Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Big wave at Nazarre Portugal

M

malc

VIP Member
Has anyone seen the wave? Been to Nazarre Portugal? I really want to see this exciting wave and better still watch it being surfed. I plan to go in the winter so any advice, help, would be welcome. The storms come in the winter and more chance to see the wave. Being a surfer for over 50years this trip is very special for me .

malc said:
Has anyone seen the wave? Been to Nazarre Portugal? I really want to see this exciting wave and better still watch it being surfed. I plan to go in the winter so any advice, help, would be welcome. The storms come in the winter and more chance to see the wave. Being a surfer for over 50years this trip is very special for me .

It doesn't get that big very often; it's more a case of getting there ASAP if a big swell appears on the other side of the Atlantic.

Crazy wave though! I've only surfed the area around Ericeira (north of Lisbon) but that still packs a big punch when it's working.

We went in October (and have been in August) and it was massive!

Thank you Kerno, did you drive down? I really fancy seeing the big wave ...a bit like Mavericks in California only nearer. I have found a web site to forecast the weather and swells and projected size of wave. ..so am thinking of camping there and wait unless there is another solution. Thanks again Malc

malc said:
Thank you Kerno, did you drive down? I really fancy seeing the big wave ...a bit like Mavericks in California only nearer. I have found a web site to forecast the weather and swells and projected size of wave. ..so am thinking of camping there and wait unless there is another solution. Thanks again Malc

It was before we had the Cali; it's a big drive!

I'd love to see that sort of wave too; the most evil I have seen is triple overhead Coxos in Portugal; pure evil! I've surfed triple overhead and it was terrifying!

Great waves here today but only about head high.

This pic of me looks like a big wave but is only head and a half high ;-)
image-11.jpg

Wow super photo ...one for the wall. The largest wave I ever saw was in San Francisco when I lived there. It covered the pier and reckon it was about 20 ft. People were surfing it. Still that was many years ago. I will do some research and try to find the best way to see the wave. The other alternative is ....Mavericks will give me 24 hours notice of a sunami leaving Japan and give me 24hours to get to California. You can also book a passage on a viewing boat.i have been on call for the last 2years but not heard yet. Great photo Malc

Thanks!

Mavericks is a truly loony wave. Jeff Clark, who surfed it in his own for years is a total legend!

The setup there is terrifying; I'd love to see it too; not sure which is easier to access though.

Four surfs in the last two days; it's been awesome here but my shoulders are totalled!

Hi Kerno, thanks .... Is it all in Portuguse. Fortunately my partner is from Brazil and speaks Portuguese ..... will need her translation .... Malc

malc said:
Hi Kerno, thanks .... Is it all in Portuguse. Fortunately my partner is from Brazil and speaks Portuguese ..... will need her translation .... Malc

Live feed is on NOW!
:D

Absolutely b..... Y amazing. Got to go ! Apparently there is an APP called Zon Surf due out shortly with live coverage !!! Where would we be without technology.watch out for it, Malc