Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

South West Ireland

SimonB

SimonB

Staff member
Top Poster
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
We have stayed at a number of lovely sites in South West Ireland, but two really stand out and we have been back many times. A couple of times in an old motorhome we had, but mostly camping.
We shall definitely be going back when we finally pick up our Cali. in 2 weeks and ½ a day.

Eagle Point in West Cork http://www.eaglepointcamping.com/ . Quite a large site and you can stay on the main part of the site or find a little spot for yourselves just looking over Bantry Bay. You might even see the seals basking in the sun on the rocks. Or go a few miles up the coast to Glengarriff and watch them from a boat on Garinish Island. http://www.glengarriff.ie/amenities/garinish-island

The second site is Wave Crest on the Ring of Kerry. http://www.camping-ireland.ie/parks/kerry/wave-crest-caravan-park It is a stunning site, safe sandy beaches and you find an "alcove" to stay in which has been cut from the rock, or stay on the larger area. This is their description from their web site. Wave Crest is landscaped on an elevated position along a south-facing hill and commands unparalleled views of beaches, coves and the majestic mountains of the Beara Peninsula. Dolphins and Basking Shark have become a familiar sight.

If there is any interest in these sites I can add some more on the West Coast. SimonB

Last edited:
Wave Crest is lovely, especially the lower pitches.

file_zpsc1e94335.jpg

Just along from there is Mannix Point. It's not as scenic, but it's got a very laid back feel to the place and it is handy for the Skellig boats.

As you are going back with your Cali then I'd recommend a night on Hook Head (South East coast, handy if you use the Fishguard ferry). By far the nicest camp spot we found in Ireland (although we only scratched the surface).

file_zpsd6b76d22.jpg

Enjoy your new van!

Wave Crest is lovely, especially the lower pitches.

file_zpsc1e94335.jpg

Just along from there is Mannix Point. It's not as scenic, but it's got a very laid back feel to the place and it is handy for the Skellig boats.

As you are going back with your Cali then I'd recommend a night on Hook Head (South East coast, handy if you use the Fishguard ferry). By far the nicest camp spot we found in Ireland (although we only scratched the surface).

file_zpsd6b76d22.jpg

Enjoy your new van!

Thank you for these sites. We found a number of fantastic sites around the coast. We especially enjoyed one outside Glengarriff called O'Shea's Flower Garden. It was just before the really big site on the road to Castletown-Bearhaven. An enterprising local man had moved his drive so it was the first site you came to on the road. A very small basic site amongst the rocks but set on a small mound with a fantastic view over Bantry Bay and Garinish Island, the whole site was just full of flowers.
I've checked street view and the house is still there, but the site has gone.

The West Coast was just amazing. Miles of sandy beaches with no one on them. Completely agree about the lower pitches at Wave Crest. Bit noisy up the top, but you felt you were on your own if you found a little alcove lower down and squeezed onto it.

I think we may have seen Hook Head. We stopped at a ruined monastery in that area where they had a bar and a field, not far from Fethard.
We never really found anywhere nice on the East, so it tended to be a mad dash to and from the ferry to the SW. Did try the Swansea Cork ferry once, but it took too long.
Hook Head sounds like a good place to stop. I always forgot how long it took to drive the 150 miles to the South West from Rosslare.
Thanks for the tips. Simon

I think we may have seen Hook Head. We stopped at a ruined monastery in that area where they had a bar and a field, not far from Fethard.

There is a Abbey (Tintern Abbey) near to Hook Head, but it's not at Fethard - that is further inland I think? I remember it because it had a large amount of wild garlic growing in the grounds. Delicious. I also remember it because I had to fish the remains of my aux belt out of the engine bay in their car park and jerry rig an alternative charging system until we could find an open garage! It's always an adventure in our van.

There is a Abbey (Tintern Abbey) near to Hook Head, but it's not at Fethard - that is further inland I think? I remember it because it had a large amount of wild garlic growing in the grounds. Delicious. I also remember it because I had to fish the remains of my aux belt out of the engine bay in their car park and jerry rig an alternative charging system until we could find an open garage! It's always an adventure in our van.

It may be the same place, I remember there was a religious link to the place. It looked like a large stately home. Funny you should mention the aux belt. I lost the fan belt pulley from the alternator near Fethard on our very early motorhome. It just broke into 2 halves and rattled around on the spindle. Ireland had just won their match in the world cup so everywhere was shut. We got to the village running on the battery and I was sent to the local bar to calm down. It was full of locals celebrating and one of them told me his brother hated football & would be in his garage. Being a Ford van everything fits every model and he had the required pulley on and old tractor. Fixed in a few minutes for the cost of a pint. Fantastic hospitality.