Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Biggest spare wheel?

Pete M

Pete M

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
I purchased a 18 Sportline wheel from my local tyre dealer but it doesn't fit in the spare wheel well :headbang, anyone know what's the largest spare that will fit?

Pretty sure it's 17" although I've heard of people modifying the holder to take an 18"

Somebody mentioned leaving it flat and carrying a compressor. I intend to carry a compressor anyway and will only take 10 mins to inflate.

Mike

I had assumed that anyone would be keeping the tyre diameter the same. Otherwise you've got bigger problems than whether the spare wheel fits

Hi, I have got a 19" wheel with a 255/ 40/ 19 tyre spare under mine20140514_122902.jpg 20150912_143030.jpg

I've got an 18" 7.5" width VW Durban wheel with a 235/55/18 104V tyre that fits. I couldn't use it as I have the suspension air compressor inside the spare wheel. The Durban has a 45 offset and I had to use a 55 offset to fit.

Got it for sale at £135

I've got an 18" 7.5" width VW Durban wheel with a 235/55/18 104V tyre that fits. I couldn't use it as I have the suspension air compressor inside the spare wheel. The Durban has a 45 offset and I had to use a 55 offset to fit.

Got it for sale at £135
Sorry but are you saying that you cant use that spare wheel now because of the air suspension ? I’m going to order VB full air 4C but I didn’t hear about they need the space for the spare wheel.........

Sorry but are you saying that you cant use that spare wheel now because of the air suspension ? I’m going to order VB full air 4C but I didn’t hear about they need the space for the spare wheel.........
VB Air doesn't utilise the spare wheel area. Most of it goes under the left seat area, near the Adblue tank. an Air tank goes on the opposite side to the exhaust silencer box.

I took VB system off and replaced it with Bilstein with E-Level control and a VIAIR Compressor. Normally the supplier fitted the air tank and compressor in place of the spare wheel. For obvious reasons I didn't want to be without a spare wheel and ended up designing a mounting for the compressor inside the spare wheel which with sound/vibration mountings only just fitted into a normal 17" alloy wheel, steel spare wasn't suitable nor was the 18" wheel with 45 offset, 17" has 55 offset. The 10mm difference proved to be essential.
With hindsight it would have been simpler and cheaper to have gone with the suppliers normal fit and lose the spare.
Not sure if the prospect of a puncture enroute to or from my usual 6 or 7 channel crossings per year with all the potential costs involved would override losing the spare as it previously did.

Back