Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bike rack, again !

Euge

Euge

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Apologies fellow Cali lovers, I know this subject has been done to death over the years but i thought I'd get people's very latest up to date opinions on bike rack options if that's ok.
I have a new beach arriving end of this month, which of course I'm starting to get really exiting about now.
Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong about any of the following but here goes.
I'd like to add a bike rack but although the Cali will be tow bar ready i was holding off having the bar fitted on account of it giving me a few spare inches when parking, which, where I live is pretty much nose to tail.
So basically a bike rack which requires no tow bar.
Any recommendations for a rack that holds up to 2/3 bikes would be much appreciated.
I've seen conflicting reports on the new Fiamma T6 regarding the clamps damaging the bodywork so would be interested to hear opinions from anyone who have one of these.
In terms of ease of fitting/removing, it will remain a permanent fixture on the back so I'm not too fussed about how easy/ difficult it is to fit or remove.

Thanks

Apologies fellow Cali lovers, I know this subject has been done to death over the years but i thought I'd get people's very latest up to date opinions on bike rack options if that's ok.
I have a new beach arriving end of this month, which of course I'm starting to get really exiting about now.
Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong about any of the following but here goes.
I'd like to add a bike rack but although the Cali will be tow bar ready i was holding off having the bar fitted on account of it giving me a few spare inches when parking, which, where I live is pretty much nose to tail.
So basically a bike rack which requires no tow bar.
Any recommendations for a rack that holds up to 2/3 bikes would be much appreciated.
I've seen conflicting reports on the new Fiamma T6 regarding the clamps damaging the bodywork so would be interested to hear opinions from anyone who have one of these.
In terms of ease of fitting/removing, it will remain a permanent fixture on the back so I'm not too fussed about how easy/ difficult it is to fit or remove.

Thanks
Don't forget, a tailgate rack sticks out at the back as well. You will have to change the bolts used if you don't want some scallywag borrowing it in the dead of night. A removable tower is fitted when you need it, vey quickly and if you can store the towbar rack then it cannot be borrowed when not in use.

I would say if you have a towbar, or provision to easily attach one, have a look at towbar bike racks. You can get quite compact ones that store easily or even fold upwards when not in use.

As WG says, you can get removable towbars. We have one on our Beach but we leave it permanently attached as we use it a lot (and provides a bit of protection from careless parkers!)

Don't forget, a tailgate rack sticks out at the back as well. You will have to change the bolts used if you don't want some scallywag borrowing it in the dead of night. A removable tower is fitted when you need it, vey quickly and if you can store the towbar rack then it cannot be borrowed when not in use.
Thanks Welshgas
I did think I might be creating a problem by trying to solve another.
I wasnt sure whether some of the tailgate racks out there would stick out just as far as a tow ball.
As for security, is that one of the fundamental differences between tow ball mounted and tailgate mounted ?
If so I may well go for the tow ball after all.

Does anyone have an overview over towbar racks, that can let on open the tailgate when mounted and with bikes on?

I would say if you have a towbar, or provision to easily attach one, have a look at towbar bike racks. You can get quite compact ones that store easily or even fold upwards when not in use.

As WG says, you can get removable towbars. We have one on our Beach but we leave it permanently attached as we use it a lot (and provides a bit of protection from careless parkers!)
Cheers Rob
Good point about the tow ball offering some protection against careless parkers.
I'm used to squeezing a Renault master van into tight spaces so maybe I need to stop thinking about my own parking prowess and worry about others more
I haven't looked into how much the tow ball sticks out but from images it looks a good 150mm from the rear bumper.
I assumed that a tailgate mounted one would finish flush when folded but I'm sure folks on here can throw some light on that.

Looks like the tow bar route suits you best but just to answer your original question regarding the Fiamma T6 Pro racks damaging paintwork...
Not that Fiamma will admit to it but that definitely did occur on the first run of these newly designed T6 racks. The protective foam 'pad' that was sandwiched between the bottom clamps and the tailgate bodywork made contact above the double 'seam' running along the bottom of the tailgate panel. The subsequent weight on the rack transmitting through these pads put too much load through this single skin panelwork causing small dents! This part was redesigned and it now replicates the VW design with a smaller lower strip of foam padding spreading the load along the seam.
Owning this rack, (and very pleased with it), I can confirm the problem is definitely resolved but it would have been nice if Fiamma weren't in denial mode when contacted trying to understand the history of this problem!

T5/5.1 Genuine VW rack bottom clamps...

20170711_092355.jpg

20170711_092403.jpg

T6 Fiamma pro rack bottom clamps (mark 2 version!)...

IMG_3261.JPG

IMG_3260.JPG

Thanks Will, that's really helpful and to be honest, after hearing that, I'd be inclined to go with the Fiamma now that It seems like they've ironed out that issue.
It'll be my main vehical and I'll be using it around town as well as in the sticks. The tow bar options puts over half a metre on the length of the Cali from what I can see so would have to come off in between camping trips.
Although the tailgate option still sticks out a bit it's not nearly as much.
If someone does end up pinching it I'll just have to put it down to bad luck.

Just be aware the default Fiamma Pro rack only holds 2 bikes. The extra rails/clamps can be bought to allow for up to 4 but then the cost then puts it nearer to the VW rack money.
Having owned the VW T5 rack on my previous SE and seen the VW T6 rack I would suggest this Fiamma rack is a hybrid of both, i.e. it gets the looks of the old T5 rack but with the much improved usability of the T6 rack, (ratchet style slideable wheel clamps, 2-part multi adjustable top support arms and 'snap-in' connectors to hold it up when not in use). In my opinion quality is on a par but its does arrive as a pile of tubes and has to be built up Ikea style compared to the readymade VW version.
If re-sale bothers you down the line and you end up selling it separately from your Cali then the VW version will no doubt recover a big chunk of your initial outlay, the Fiamma not so much.
Managed to get mine from JustKampers for £295 so worth giving them a shout even if there website has them up for more.
Good luck...

IMG_3196.jpg

Just be aware the default Fiamma Pro rack only holds 2 bikes. The extra rails/clamps can be bought to allow for up to 4 but then the cost then puts it nearer to the VW rack money.
Having owned the VW T5 rack on my previous SE and seen the VW T6 rack I would suggest this Fiamma rack is a hybrid of both, i.e. it gets the looks of the old T5 rack but with the much improved usability of the T6 rack, (ratchet style slideable wheel clamps, 2-part multi adjustable top support arms and 'snap-in' connectors to hold it up when not in use). In my opinion quality is on a par but its does arrive as a pile of tubes and has to be built up Ikea style compared to the readymade VW version.
If re-sale bothers you down the line and you end up selling it separately from your Cali then the VW version will no doubt recover a big chunk of your initial outlay, the Fiamma not so much.
Managed to get mine from JustKampers for £295 so worth giving them a shout even if there website has them up for more.
Good luck...

View attachment 25558
Thanks again Will.
Two bikes is the plan. Like a few others I'm not too keen on the look of the new T6 VW carrier and much prefer the more slimline look of the Fiamma.
I've ordered a grey beach with black awning and side rails so the picture you've shown with the black rack is food for thought, looks very smart.

Good luck...

View attachment 25558
Forgot to ask Will, have you tried opening the tailgate with bikes mounted and the roof popped up. I read somewhere the bikes can damage the roof ?
Cheers

Forgot to ask Will, have you tried opening the tailgate with bikes mounted and the roof popped up. I read somewhere the bikes can damage the roof ?
Cheers
They can, does depend on the bikes handlebar width, also the tailgate may not stay up with bicycles on the rack so may need a prop as some use. Also, you will then be over 2m height so some Car Parks will be out of bounds as will certain other places e.g.: A6 tunnel around Paris has 2m height restriction.

They can, does depend on the bikes handlebar width, also the tailgate may not stay up with bicycles on the rack so may need a prop as some use. Also, you will then be over 2m height so some Car Parks will be out of bounds as will certain other places e.g.: A6 tunnel around Paris has 2m height restriction.
Cheers WG

Just back from 3,000km with one of these on the back, with three bikes loaded:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00T7Q7HG8/?tag=eliteelect-21

714xHw25SKL._SL1500_.jpg

Pros
  • Cheap
  • Removeable
  • Top of the bikes remain under roof height
  • Doesn't foul camera or parking sensors
  • Can lift the tailgate with roof either up or down
  • Folds down almost flat against the tailgate
  • Didn't leave any marks at all (I used little swatches of chamois at the four touch points)
  • Built in lock useful
Cons
  • Lighter-duty than the more permanent carriers
  • Can be tight fitting smaller bikes
  • One of the straps broke
  • The down-tube holders are a bit flimsy (but seem to do the job)
I had read somewhere that a Cali driver had issues with side slip but I think they just hadn't fitted theirs properly. The ratchet mechanism is well designed and engineered.

Overall I'm happy. It lives off the van most of the time, and gets used on the other-half's Jazz regularly too.

Cheers.

Great thread there Sapto, thanks.

Does anyone know of a tow ball mounted rack that folds up against the tailgate when not in use, a sort of hybrid between tail gate and tow bar mounted ?
If there was such a thing that would tick all boxes for me.
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?ur...share_fid=34937&share_type=t&share_pid=209767

Just had my Witter detachable tow bar fitted. As part of the package, I ordered a Witter ZX502 two-bike rack. <br /><br />In short, I'm delighted.<br /><br />It will take two 20kg bikes (enough for ......

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

What bikes are you wishing to carry? I mountain bike regularly and every rack I'd ever used did not allow for a full compliment of modern mountain bikes to be fitted without them interfering with each other and causing damage (usually only cosmetic, but very annoying in £3k+ bikes).
I have a Beach with factory towbar, add much is I'd have liked to go with a Strava or Thule giving boot access, I went for a Buzzrack, which doesn't allow me in the rear of the van but, does allow room for 4 modern mountain bikes without me upsetting my mates by damaging their pride and joy.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Hey Euge, just noticed you're in Twickenham so not far from us (near Godstone). If it helps you're welcome to see our rack in the 'flesh'. (PM me if any use).

@Alibee's rack aside, which ever way you go is going to be pricey so totally understand your opinion seeking here.
Unfortunately, its a bit like the great 'Manual or DSG' debate, there really is no 'best' option!
It just depends on how you anticipate you'll use your bikes with advantages/disadvantages to both towbar or tailgate options.

Once the kids have gone we plan to store our 'nice' road bikes sideways inside the boot (front wheels off) and hidden from view with the cheapo folding bikes on the rack for day to day use. (one of the main drivers we swapped our SE to a Beach! I could never relax with all those £s on the rack when in travel mode no matter how many locks I put on!)

I had the Altera Strada towbar rack on my T4 which was brilliant for how I used it then (4 blokes to MTB trail centres) but for how we use our bikes now in family holiday Cali mode or single day sportives the tailgate works better.

Horses for courses...

Thanks again for all the advice guys, really helpful and very much appreciated.
4NT5, I'd be looking to carry two mountain bikes, possibly three. Our bikes aren't what you'd call top of the range and they get fairly abused in use so a few scuffs and the odd scratch in transit isn't going to worry me too much. If we were taking about my fishing rods it would be a different ball game completely !

I'm definitely going to go with a tailgate mounted one. Although the tow ball ones are far more practical when it comes to accessing the van itself, the fact they stick out so far means for me, it would need to be removed when not in use.
The tailgate options, or at least the ones I've seen, only extend a few inches beyond the rear bumper. Because they are mounted higher up as well, I could leave it permanently fitted which is a major plus for me.

Will, thanks for your offer to take a look at yours, that's really kind.
I should be picking my new beach up the end of this month so will PM you before then if that's still ok.

Thanks again
Euge

714xHw25SKL._SL1500_.jpg
This looks like a copy of the (much cheaper) Saris Bones 3 that's been around for about 15 years - I've got one that I used to use on my car... Good bit kit that has fitted every vehicle I've owned (except the van as it has a rear spoiler)

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Saris-Bone...TCRrWA2BhopsaUr7_-eoHqTB6bUWTo-0aAp3rEALw_wcB

714xHw25SKL._SL1500_.jpg

Pros
  • Cheap
  • Removeable
  • Top of the bikes remain under roof height
  • Doesn't foul camera or parking sensors
  • Can lift the tailgate with roof either up or down
  • Folds down almost flat against the tailgate
  • Didn't leave any marks at all (I used little swatches of chamois at the four touch points)
  • Built in lock useful
Cons
  • Lighter-duty than the more permanent carriers
  • Can be tight fitting smaller bikes
  • One of the straps broke
  • The down-tube holders are a bit flimsy (but seem to do the job)
I had read somewhere that a Cali driver had issues with side slip but I think they just hadn't fitted theirs properly. The ratchet mechanism is well designed and engineered.

Overall I'm happy. It lives off the van most of the time, and gets used on the other-half's Jazz regularly too.

Cheers.
OMG it's a thing of beauty, as is most things California!