Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bike rack on tow ball recommendation?

SmilingFloFrance

SmilingFloFrance

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Hello all,

All the last threads on the topic seems very old. Hence this post.

I am looking to buy a bike rack on a tow ball that allows an easy opening of the tail gate. Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance,

Thanks @Doorbundle . Unfortunately out of stock in Europe.
Oops! Didn't check your location!
I did a bit of Youtube reviews 'research' before we bought ours, there is a Ford branded rack (Identical to the VW one) that fully Tilts and also a Volvo branded one identical to a fully tilting Thule model.
They were both less expensive than the respective VW and Thule type.
They may both be available in that Europe.
Don't know if they export, but the 'roofbox co' do a useful stepxstep guide to assist on decisions as to what may suit.
Best regards & good luck,
Db.

We have a Thule Velospace XT3, 3 bike carrier but can be expanded to carry 4 bikes. Just needs the tilt restraining cable to be relocated to next hole (easy job) to allow greater tilt that allows tailgate to clear. We also have the Thule Backspace XT storage box, which can be used instead of bikes (you can take 1 bike with the box fitted, if you have the 4th bike extension fitted). Great for taking paddle boards, etc.

You can also get a ramp to help load heavier e-bikes onto rack if needed.

Great, well made bit of kit but not the cheapest.

We use the Atera Genio Pro Advanced for 2 e-bikes and very happy with it. It comes with a kit in the box to adjust the tilt angle for vehicles such as the Cali. Also folds up and can store in the boot if needed. German made and available throughout EU.

Atera Genio Pro Advanced
We have this too. It’s perfect in every way

Thule velospace xt3
Can be lowered and reat hatch will open. Not sure if barn doors would do.

We use the Atera Genio Pro Advanced for 2 e-bikes and very happy with it. It comes with a kit in the box to adjust the tilt angle for vehicles such as the Cali. Also folds up and can store in the boot if needed. German made and available throughout EU.

Atera Genio Pro Advanced
Thanks.

I have watched the video. Are the bikes fully secured on it? I did not see how they were locked on the bike rack?

We have a Thule Velospace XT3, 3 bike carrier but can be expanded to carry 4 bikes. Just needs the tilt restraining cable to be relocated to next hole (easy job) to allow greater tilt that allows tailgate to clear. We also have the Thule Backspace XT storage box, which can be used instead of bikes (you can take 1 bike with the box fitted, if you have the 4th bike extension fitted). Great for taking paddle boards, etc.

You can also get a ramp to help load heavier e-bikes onto rack if needed.

Great, well made bit of kit but not the cheapest.
That's the one I had in mind but out of stock until the end of the summer :)

We have this too. It’s perfect in every way
So you did not have any problems with the bike locks? I find them a bit cheap having now seen the model in a shop , I thought they were easy breakable.

Not really. They all have weaknesses. It's sufficient as a deterant, beyond that a determined criminal will get most bikes free despite best efforts.

I do like the fact that the straps are steel reinforced.
So you did not have any problems with the bike locks? I find them a bit cheap having now seen the model in a shop , I thought they were easy breakable.

You could cut the plastic ratchet straps relatively easily I suppose. I also use the bikes own lock to lock them together and to the rack.
Very happy with my Atera Genio Pro. Packs up to a compact size to store in my flat.

Another vote for the Atera Genio Pro. I have it plus the extra bike attachment and it has been flawless so far. For me it was between this and the Thule equivalent but from everything I read it appeared that the Thule one does not go flat enough to open the tailgate without making DIY modifications (though based on the above I could be wrong about that, could have been the XT2), whereas the Atera one has built in adjustment.

With regards to the locks, they are the same as the Thule ones essentially (having used Thule roof racks for a long time) and would be incredibly easy for a determined thief to crack into. So my advice would be whatever rack you use, if you are going to leave the bikes on it unattended for any period of time I would never trust just the built in locks. Even the most secure D-lock will not stop a tooled up thief for long!

We have a Thule 3 bike rack and use it with two Trek Rail e bikes. Yes, we can open the hatch with the bikes on the rack tilted but only if we turn the handlebars through 90 degrees. Simple job with an Allen key. This also keeps the inner bikes handlebars well away from the rear screen and stops the outer bikes bars sticking out so much at the back.

well I bought the Atera Genio Pro as it was the only one available and since I like the fact it was fully foldable and I wanted to go on vacations today with my son and the bike. Thanks everyone for your help. As always very appreciated.

Watch out when going over the village speed bumps in France. Our Atera Genio Pro grounded on one in Normandy recently and was damaged.
Repaired now but I’ll be VERY careful in the future.