Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bike Rack for T6 - 2 Bikes

First post so gentle please!

I have just fitted the Menabo rack from the club shop. I can’t work how to log in and review it there, so thought I’d leave a comment here.

Rack will take 45kgs and I’m going to use it for 2 electric bikes. They fit on fine - I haven’t got a picture to hand of them on though! I think it looks tidier than the VW rack and seems of high quality.

I used what I think is generally referred to as helicopter tape under the top brackets and under the bracket that screws in under the number plate. The kit comes with shiny nuts to replace the standard number place screws and I didn’t like how they looked on my black letters, so I replaced them with black versions.

Only bit I wasn’t super happy with was the arms to hold the bikes - I think they are a bit fiddly and not as high quality as the rest of the rack. I have borrowed the arms from my Thule towbar rack and they fit fine as higher quality replacements.

View attachment 49926

View attachment 49927
How are you finding this now? I'm in the market for a rack and had looked at this.

How are you finding this now? I'm in the market for a rack and had looked at this.
Still going well. I’ve added some Velcro ties to make sure the bike deck doesn’t knock against the uprights as I was convinced it was when doing a rattle hunt. But that could have been my imagination. I don’t think it will last as long as an original, but it is wearing well and I am still happy.

Still going well. I’ve added some Velcro ties to make sure the bike deck doesn’t knock against the uprights as I was convinced it was when doing a rattle hunt. But that could have been my imagination. I don’t think it will last as long as an original, but it is wearing well and I am still happy.
Hi. Sorry to bump an old thread but have you had any issues with this rack? I've had mine just under a year and it seems that both of the clamps that hold the bikes have failed and will no longer lock.

Hi. Sorry to bump an old thread but have you had any issues with this rack? I've had mine just under a year and it seems that both of the clamps that hold the bikes have failed and will no longer lock.
No problem! I decided that I preferred the Thule arms that I have on a tow ball mount rack so borrowed those and use them instead. I keep them in the van as when I left them on the rack they got covered with crud. Sorry that doesn’t help you really.

Just done an inspection following your post. The hinges for the bike try have started to flake and rust so are going to need some attention. Looks like the powder coat is starting to peel off. So I’d say my prediction that it won’t last as long as a genuine one is true and it isn’t lasting as long as it should be expected to. Disappointing :-(

Just done an inspection following your post. The hinges for the bike try have started to flake and rust so are going to need some attention. Looks like the powder coat is starting to peel off. So I’d say my prediction that it won’t last as long as a genuine one is true and it isn’t lasting as long as it should be expected to. Disappointing :-(
Give menabo a shout. They seem fairly responsive regarding warranty stuff. They were for me

I take back my last comment.......despite initially being fairly responsive they've now taken ages to reply to me about my issue. They've also given me a price list for replacement parts that have failed 11 months after purchasing a rack that comes with a 2 year warranty.

If you only need to carry 2 I would highly recommend the Fiamma Carry Pro - available in black as well as silver. Its substantial bit of kit & the arms etc are standard Fiamma & readily available.

Its biggest advantage for me is that the spacing of the rails means the rear view is relatively unobstructed when the rack is not being used, & when it is in use it projects a lot less than the 4 bike racks.

If you do need the extra capacity, by unbolting the two wheel rails the base can be extended & its predrilled ready for either 3 or 4 bikes, with the additional clamps & rails being relatively cheap on ebay.