Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

BIKE RACKS!!!!!!!!!!!! ON OFFER

smgcowfoldparts

smgcowfoldparts

Trade Advertiser
Hello everyone,

Just to let you know I have six bike racks back in stock :D :D :D :D :D

They will be here for a limited time only as they are selling so quickly.

They will cost a VIP member £450.00 inc vat with additional postage costs if you want it shipped out.

Thanks

Re: BIKE RACKS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do they smell like rocking horse dung too??? :laugh2

I am toying with this or the thule easy load system, what puts me off the VW rack is that it seems a long way up to lift the bikes one of mines is a heavy elektro bike.

I love the VW rack, if nothing else I think it completes the look of the van. It makes a great washing line while you're away, it also carries bikes if you really need it to :laugh2

Do the bike racks fit easily and do they restrict the way the door opens at all? Any disadvantages( apart from the cost!)

Stu said:
I love the VW rack, if nothing else I think it completes the look of the van. It makes a great washing line while you're away, it also carries bikes if you really need it to :laugh2

I agree stu ..:) .. Also its good to transport extra stuff ,as me and stu have rack bags to hold camping gear or anything you may need in a trip out :)

Disadvantages = none? Do you keep them permanently in place? Link to the bag?

Flexbag Cargo -

here

Also available from our friendly bike rack purveyors. :lol:

Lee has one by Comfort which is not unlike the Brandrup item that I loaned them last year. :laugh2

My only criticism of the Comfort one would be the Zip quality, it doesn't look to be as strong as I think it should be for exterior use.

I agree that the racks suit the california, but are they practical being so high up, is anyone actually using them for bikes :) , if so how easy are they to load? . If they are practical I would prefer one to a tow bar mounted system.

Don't have a problem using mine. Very easy to use, great security built in - perfect.

swisspace said:
I agree that the racks suit the california, but are they practical being so high up, is anyone actually using them for bikes :) , if so how easy are they to load? . If they are practical I would prefer one to a tow bar mounted system.

depends what your budget is ..... i love my bike rack and use it for transporting my bike and mates bikes to sportive rides ,as well as mtb rides ,camping gear and as stu said drying the washing :bananadance ... i don't have much trouble loading it ,but find if your loading road bikes you will not get 4 on it ...

So I get the impression that they can be used for strapping other stuff to - like a roof rack really but not for long things. I would only have occasional use for bikes, but if they are more generally useful then may be worth considering.

Certainly can be used for other than bikes with a bit of thought.
This is our Fiamma rack but the VW one could be used the same way.

P1160425small_zps0ff3548e.jpg

i was going to put a photo up of my rack with comfortz rack bag on it and my bike ,but i've got to upload it to a 3rd party application after downloading to the laptop and then re-size it save it then come back in and upload it to find it's still to big .... :lol: :lol:
maybe i'm alittle lazy these days. :upsidedown

Larkrise said:

Disadvantages:
Loose 2m height advantage when loaded with bikes. (Ferry costs and car parks)
Height when lifting bikes onto rack.
Not easy to open tailgate when loaded.

I have a VW rack but would have a tow bar one in future.

Les said:
Larkrise said:

Disadvantages:
Height when lifting bikes onto rack.
Not easy to open tailgate when loaded.

I have a VW rack but would have a tow bar one in future.

I can get under most 2m barriers with my bikes on although my van is -30mm (did have one close shave at a french toll but we still cleared it)

We always take the high vehicle train at euro tunnel at no extra cost.

Not forgetting of course that a tow bar mounted rack has disadvantages too.

1) Makes the vehicle longer at a lower level (The height of the VW rack keeps the bikes above most car fronts)

2) You need a tow bar.

3) The tailgate can still be an issue with a tow bar mounted.

Conversely to you I have had a tow bar mounted rack and wouldn't consider one in favour of my tailgate rack.

Les said:
Disadvantages:

Les, Euro tunnel do not charge for the higher vehicle as their max is 1.8m which you would never get under.

P&O to France is <1.8m which you would never get under.

Britanny to France is Motorhome/minibus/van and they give you up to 2.6m. With a car they give you 1.83m which you would never get under.

So I don't know what ferries you are using that charge you extra.

The VW Bike Rack is great. I have replaced all the locking knobs to Locking Knobs, spares from VW Parts. With 1 bike on the back, the tailgate can be lifted and it will stay up, (Brompton or Trek 5.2) more bikes, take care. Brittany ferries charged us an extra £30 this summer from Portsmouth to Cherbourg, 3hr cat, as the California is over the 5m limit even without bikes on, the folded bike rack just peeks over the bumper. Great bike rack though, good towel Rail also.

wingate_52 said:
The VW Bike Rack is great. I have replaced all the locking knobs to Locking Knobs, spares from VW Parts. With 1 bike on the back, the tailgate can be lifted and it will stay up, (Brompton or Trek 5.2) more bikes, take care. Brittany ferries charged us an extra £30 this summer from Portsmouth to Cherbourg, 3hr cat, as the California is over the 5m limit even without bikes on, the folded bike rack just peeks over the bumper. Great bike rack though, good towel Rail also.

What's the difference between "locking knobs to Locking Knobs"?
I replaced the standard hex bolts to security bolts (pin hex and pin star) and sold additional security screws on here.

Andy

This is almost as exciting as the DSG v's Manual debate - tow bar rack v's VW Rack.

There is only one way to resolve this...... fight :D

If it helps I have one of the old style Thule towbar mounted ones and I can't even open the boot without bikes on it!!!! Looks like ebay time!

teeboy said:
If it helps I have one of the old style Thule towbar mounted ones and I can't even open the boot without bikes on it!!!! Looks like ebay time!

http://www.roofbox.co.uk/scripts/rbvehs ... php?AR2603

I bought the above which clears the door when used (recommended on here) on the tow bar.

However this is a great price for the VW item and i would have probably gone for it at this at the price!!!

Our neighbours at COTF had one of those - they look really good - I have just put some roof mounted bike carriers on our trailer for now - it means we can carry loads of other stuff in the trailer as well :)

T

smgcowfoldparts said:
Hello everyone,

Just to let you know I have six bike racks back in stock :D :D :D :D :D

They will be here for a limited time only as they are selling so quickly.

They will cost a VIP member £450.00 inc vat with additional postage costs if you want it shipped out.

Thanks

I guess I nabbed the last of the six today then. Many thanks.

Hello....

Yes Greg you did......

All bike racks have now been sold. Not bad, six bike racks sold in four days.

Have got more on order but not sure when they will be in.

Will post when I have more. :D

Back