Bilbo's Nexa

motacyclist

motacyclist

Colin
Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
We know the Cali is the absolute perfection of camper van design. Or is it?

My better half's constant complaint is the lack of loo, or more to the point, lack of privacy.

She's just been pushing this under my nose

http://www.bilbos.com/bilbos-range/nexa/

It might be nice also to be able to enter/exit the van through the rear .... also available in LWB

I wonder has anyone considered one of these, or seen it in the flesh?

It looks nice , but....
No booth space ,
The toilet is the same as we got only electric flush , it gives no more privacy
Sitting on it one does can reach in the fridge for a drink...:D

Sort like the club joker imo. , only thatone got a shower with is a big plus...

Thanks for the link , did not knew about thatone...:thumb

Yes I was thinking about the boot space. You'd have to find somewhere to put the folding chairs and table; it would be nice with a Cali tailgate!

I think there is a curtain for the loo area, you could just stick your hand through and reach the fridge I guess :D

I looked hard at Bilbo's before buying the Cali.

I bought a Cali in the end because firstly the roof design, secondly the greater integration, thirdly the boot area storage. Swapping a Loo for a boot is worth paying IMO.

Oh,

Then you have to order a transporter in the spec you want unless you want something like an 84PS manual

Then price it all up..

Nothing against Bilbo's, or converters. and I was impressed.

At the time integration to me was everything, one-stop shopping everything, the VW name for structural integrity everything.

Now?

One thought sticks with me. If I had the habitation electrical problems on a Bilbo then I could have gone to the people who installed it and said "fix it" confident that the Electrician who fitted it could fix it, not the year long fiasco that I had to endure culminating in my Cali spending more nights at the dealers last year than I spent sleeping in it.

A few converters offer that layout. Review here

A few converters offer that layout. Review here

I note from the Bilbao site that the "Conversion " only has a 2 yr or 24,000 mile warranty, whereas the base van has the standard 3 yr VW UK warranty.
So if I'd bought one it would be out of warranty next week.

Adding my thoughts, the other problem you lose is the sheer flexibility of the Cali.

I could not have gone to Mums, used Albert as a removal Van, slept in it with what was stuffed in the boot and then got home and took Geraldine (my Bicycle) to the repair shop without a bike rack.

I still like Bilbo's though,

Maybe so, but a 24,000 mile, 2 yr, non-transferable warranty on the conversion. They can't be very confident of their workmanship.
At least VW, for all their failings, give a 3 yr warranty on the habitation equipment.

No double beds to stretch out on and only sleeps 2, what's wrong with peeing in a bush or a portapotti, its called character building!!

We looked at the Bilbo Celex as we wanted a double bed.

I liked the pop top roof as it lifted at the side, and was made of a similar material to a lorry curtain, so no tears.
Based on the Caravelle, it was a serious contender.

With a decent spec, it was no cheaper than a Cali.

Alan

We liked Bilbos too... Basically chintz-free campers but we too found spec for spec no cheaper than VW. Integrated blinds, table/chairs and the sliding seat clinched it for the VW though I think I would swap the motorised roof for a simple push up or wind up design.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We looked at the Bilbo as well.
We liked the roof.
It was more expensive than the Cali and there was also a Bilbo owner not far away who allowed us a look around his van. Interestingly he had had a few problems and found that Vw blamed Bilbo and Bilbo blamed VW. (Electrical).
Also, Surrey is a long way from Cumbria if anything went wrong.

IMO none of these conversions are as neat and flush as the Cali. Usually more expensive as well.

Thanks for all the interesting comments about this. There's no doubt that there are few conversions, if any, which match the California for it's automotive fit and finish and swiss penknife versatility. If anyone could come up with a satisfactory solution to the loo issue they could make a fortune!

Nexa isn't great on storage compared to a rear bed, the two singles can be made into a full width double by sliding over the offside rear seat to meet the passenger seat and then putting in a infill. LWB offers quite a bit more storage (two additional cupboards) but nowhere to put anything big

Sorry to read all the negative replies re Bilbos. I have had 2 Bilbos from new before the Cali, and enjoyed them both.
If i was younger i most probably would buy another. But i think if my cali lasts another 10 ten years i don't think i will be driving.

John

We are all of that age arnt we, which is why we are emailing on a Monday morning.
I was thinking of putting a little pop up loo tent which I have just ordered, right next to the sliding door at night, so you literally don't go outside of van or tent
Not sure if it will work

We are all of that age arnt we, which is why we are emailing on a Monday morning.
I was thinking of putting a little pop up loo tent which I have just ordered, right next to the sliding door at night, so you literally don't go outside of van or tent
Not sure if it will work
It does, Thats what I use with a Popaloo.

Sorry to read all the negative replies re Bilbos. I have had 2 Bilbos from new before the Cali, and enjoyed them both.
If i was younger i most probably would buy another. But i think if my cali lasts another 10 ten years i don't think i will be driving.

John
Not so much negative, just concerned that with a new vehicle with a 3 year UK warranty they do not have the confidence in their own workmanship to offer a similarly timed warranty that is not milage restricted and owner restricted. Just makes me wonder why?

Not so much negative, just concerned that with a new vehicle with a 3 year UK warranty they do not have the confidence in their own workmanship to offer a similarly timed warranty that is not milage restricted and owner restricted. Just makes me wonder why?
I think a Bilbo interior that has lasted for 2 years will probably last for 20. They are very simple (in a good way). They use conventional old fashioned things like hinges and screws which are pretty well understood.
You might argue that means they should give a longer warranty but for smaller companies I think it's good to know when they can bank the margin they've made.

But 24,000 miles. For me that's the Warranty gone!

If modern vans interested me I'd be taking a look at the Westfalia Joker City. Similar idea. Few things worry me about it, not sure the kitchen can be used with the roof down. And as already raised,storage in this layout in a SWB looks poor.

Back