Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bilbo's Nexa

not sure the kitchen can be used with the roof down.

I believe you can use the kitchen whilst sitting on the 'loo' ! (well, on a padded drop down panel over the loo).

But it's a Westy so you don't have to worry the roof won't come down ;) (Westy Snobbery....)

But it's a Westy so you don't have to worry the roof won't come down ;) (Westy Snobbery....)

It's true, we were getting hit with 60mph gusts over Christmas and I still have a roof. We did have to move down to the servants quarters to get some sleep though!

We are all of that age arnt we, which is why we are emailing on a Monday morning.
I was thinking of putting a little pop up loo tent which I have just ordered, right next to the sliding door at night, so you literally don't go outside of van or tent
Not sure if it will work
Should work, but it won't be warm in there (not just now anyway!)

I often think that some curtain sides around the opened tailgate would give some useful extra space (Nick are you listening?).

At one time I was considering having the lower bed pushed up against the front seats and modifying the parcel shelf area so that the free floor space was next to the tailgate. One could then just slip into the tailgate tent to do one's business .... or not.

Another point worth a thought is that the lower bed in the Cali is (I think) 6' 6 " long, more than most conversions or even coachbuilts, and more than a lot of people need. If the rear parcel shelf was shortened and the bed not pulled forward so much another 6" or so of space could be gained, a lot in a Cali, useful for the loo ... At one point last year I did make a replacement shortened rear parcel shelf; like a lot of things it never got got finished and the bits are in the garage awaiting further construction ...

Interesting idea.
You can get tents for the rear tailgate
The advantage of the one by the side door is you can slide straight into it
Though it is Maby over the heater exhaust.
Trouble with shortening the shelf for me is that that is the comfiest part of the bed , as it is extra spongy.

I often think that some curtain sides around the opened tailgate would give some useful extra space (Nick are you listening?).

At one time I was considering having the lower bed pushed up against the front seats and modifying the parcel shelf area so that the free floor space was next to the tailgate. One could then just slip into the tailgate tent to do one's business .... or not.

Another point worth a thought is that the lower bed in the Cali is (I think) 6' 6 " long, more than most conversions or even coachbuilts, and more than a lot of people need. If the rear parcel shelf was shortened and the bed not pulled forward so much another 6" or so of space could be gained, a lot in a Cali, useful for the loo ... At one point last year I did make a replacement shortened rear parcel shelf; like a lot of things it never got got finished and the bits are in the garage awaiting further construction ...
Don't think a tailgate tent/sides/awning would be much warmer.

I have experimented with popping out the back, bed forward .
An awful lot of messing about, and a small tent outside is a small tent outside.
I'm going out of the side door, into my little canvas side loo like Welshgas.

All right if you're a hobbit like me.
Not so good if you're 6'4" like my son!

An awful lot of messing about, and a small tent outside is a small tent outside.
Also it marks your pitch ;);) if you're out in the vehicle during the day whilst on a campsite. Mine's a pop-up. Takes 10 minutes with putting Popaloo together. 4 pegs or 8 if using guys in windy weather.

Yes I know, the overhead locker doesn't help if using the rear door in that fashion.

And to use the rear door you have to fit your own rear door latch, and I am reluctant to start taking my van apart .
And pitch marking is a good idea.
I am still waiting for my pop up one to arrive, I realise I have bought it from China

We are all of that age arnt we, which is why we are emailing on a Monday morning.
I was thinking of putting a little pop up loo tent which I have just ordered, right next to the sliding door at night, so you literally don't go outside of van or tent
Not sure if it will work
Great idea.....but could be a bit embarrassing if using it and a sudden gale whipped up :sad

Alan

Great idea.....but could be a bit embarrassing if using it and a sudden gale whipped up :sad

Alan
Not if it's properly pegged out. Have had no problems in past 20+ years. In my opinion, better than having the loo in the bedroom/kitchen.;)

I have stayed in rural cottages where the loo is outside, infact it was the norm I think 70 yrs ago.
And in rural France in the 70s open loos , the pissoire, was quite normal, so no need to be embarrassed Alan, just smile sweetly.

I have stayed in rural cottages where the loo is outside, infact it was the norm I think 70 yrs ago.
And in rural France in the 70s open loos , the pissoire, was quite normal, so no need to be embarrassed Alan, just smile sweetly.

Our loo is outside, across the yard....

You mean.... well.... doesn't everyone have an outside loo? :shocked

Our loo is outside, across the yard....

You mean.... well.... doesn't everyone have an outside loo? :shocked
Yes, outside the kitchen and bedroom.:thumb

It has just arrived.....and I have spent ages learning how to fold it back into its bag. I will be almost ready for the next sitting before it is packed up at this rate.

Alot of us go to the toilet in the corner of our bedrooms all the time only we call it an Ensuite.
So going in the Cali aint all that different.

Back