Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Blue motion not working?

B

bob-on

VIP Member
Can anyone help, I've got blue motion on my van (180 SE) and at present it doesn't stop the engine when I come to a halt. Do I have an issue with it or is there something I need to do?

I've tried switching the auto stop off and on again but it's still the same. Batteries are charged and I've done long journeys in it too.

Hi bob I don't know much about bluemotion.i did have a golf bluemotion as a loan car once
Don't you have to put it in neutral and release the clutch to stop the engine then press the clutch to re start. Prehaps I have got it all wrong :laugh2

bob-on said:
Can anyone help, I've got blue motion on my van (180 SE) and at present it doesn't stop the engine when I come to a halt. Do I have an issue with it or is there something I need to do?

I've tried switching the auto stop off and on again but it's still the same. Batteries are charged and I've done long journeys in it too.

It only works in certain conditions - engine has to be up to temp - air con off or not fully on. It has a lot of fail safes built into it.

You'll know if it is working because it will tell on you on the DIS - so when you come to a stop - into nuetral - foot off clutch then the engine will stop. If it doesn't it simply tells you on the DIS that stop/start is not applicable.

James

I'm used to it cutting off when I reach certain parts of my journey and recently it just doesn't cut out at all even after long journeys and way up to temp.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has had this happen and what the reason was?

bob-on said:
I'm used to it cutting off when I reach certain parts of my journey and recently it just doesn't cut out at all even after long journeys and way up to temp.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has had this happen and what the reason was?

Bob

What does the DIS say when you stop and take your foot off the clutch - does the stop/start symbol come up in the DIS (Top part) with a line through it.

James

Hi James,

Yes, when I pull up at a junction with aircon off, lights off, engine up to temp, batteries charged and everything working as it should, foot off the clutch and handbrake on the engine keeps on running when it would usually cut out. It's just gone over 2000 miles on the clock now so should be run in by now.

Cheers
Gareth

It sounds fine. Lots of variables that affect it so don't worry if it stops working as it will start working again when required variables are in place.

cheers

When the start/stop stopped working in my 18 month old BMW, it turned out to be a faulty battery, which BMW then replaced.

This is happening to mine now. Batteries are fully charged, tried leaving it on hook up for a few days; makes no difference if air con is turned off.

Anyone ever find out anything more?

Do you have access to a code reader? There should be a code if the stop start isn't activating due to a problem.

The software is quite complex and there are lots of factors that can result in it not stopping.

No, unfortunately. If it doesn’t start stopping again on it’s own, I’ll stop at the VW dealer and see if they can start it stopping again. :)

I'm going to code ours out permanently. IMO it does more harm than good. Hammers the starter and ring and stops the engine after a hard run which stops the oil cooling down in the turbo which is very bad news for it. If stuck in traffic for a while I just turn the ignition off.

Last edited:
Mine operates when stationary and I press hard on the foot brake.
If I ease the pressure on the foot brake the engine starts again.

Ours is temperamental but we just live with it or turn it off, think it's a bit of a gimmick anyway....

I'm going to code ours out permanently. IMO it does more harm than good. Hammers the starter and ring and stops the engine after a hard run which stops the oil cooling down in the turbo which is very bad news for it. If stuck in traffic for a while I just turn the ignition off.
Commercial vans don't seem to have a problem with BlueMotion.

Probably because they all turn it off
Not as far as I can see. Stop Start technology has been around for a good few years now with virtually all manufacturer's having their own version. Certainly not renowned for destroying Starters or Turbos as far as I can see. Difficult to find any evidence on the WWW.

It doesn't affect the starter motor as that's not how it works.

But to attempt to offer motacyclist some insight.

Bluemotion is 4 things in practice.
1. Start stop
2. Low rolling resistance tyres
3. Recuperation of energy for the alternator to charge to battery under breaking or coasting (no engine load)
4. Tweaked aerodynamics

If start stop is definitely not working phone vw.
There are circumstances that effect its engagement, firstly the hook up and leisure battery has nothing to do with it.

Vehicle engine must be up to temp, minimal load on the battery, blowers and aircon on less than 50%, no heated screens, no sport mode for dsg and windcreen blowers can affect it.
Also external temperature has a bearing as does driving style.
If you ride your clutch forget it. Clutch must have full travel for system to operate fully.
Basically if the circumstances of the engine cutting out jeopardise your view due to steamy windows or ice etc, its more important to be safe, than to save a few co2, in theory :)

Also if battery voltage drops, eg an old or faulty battery/ alternator (main vehicle battery in engine bay). It wont work as the system tells it that its more important, that's when, if under warranty vw can step in.

Of course it affects the starter motor and mechanism. The more it's used the more it will wear. As for no documented evidence, probably not, as documented evidence generally comes from vehicles only a few years old. As for turbo failure it's well known that turning off a hot turbo causes the oil to carbonise and lead to early failure. If you don't intend to keep a vehicle, fine, let the next users have the problem. Stop start is there primarily to help the vehicle manufacturers keep emissions down, not for driver convenience.
So long as it works during the warranty period they aren't bothered. There's also such a thing as mechanical sympathy.

As Geezo plus additionally It also won't cut in if you have the steering turned more than a certain angle, as it assumes you might be paused on a turning etc.

I reprogrammed my Touareg to swap the button operation to default to SS off at startup and press it to enable as it was very annoying on the whole.

What happens if your stuck in traffic? A turbo is only really on at a specified amount of revs, or at least that was my understanding.

Just read one article on Honest John that a hot turbo is another parameter that prevents Stop/Start from kicking in (not model specific observation though)
Other articles speak of smarter, redesigned starter motors for stop/start.
I've yet to have a vehicle with it (still waiting for confirmed build date vw!) and have mixed views - it will take some getting used to, expressly when there is that inconsistency - will it or won't it work at this junction? I like Loz's idea of reversing the operation of the switch...

Mine cuts in too much, if I stop for a moment at a roundabout for instance the engine cuts out, it's an absolute pain and I would be interested to know if it was possible to code it out permanently or better still change the cut off delay. A friend has a 2 year old Passat and his stop start seems to work differently as it seems to have a 2-3 second delay in cut out. Perhaps they have changed it on new models to make it massage the fuel consumption figures?

Mine cuts in too much, if I stop for a moment at a roundabout for instance the engine cuts out, it's an absolute pain and I would be interested to know if it was possible to code it out permanently or better still change the cut off delay. A friend has a 2 year old Passat and his stop start seems to work differently as it seems to have a 2-3 second delay in cut out. Perhaps they have changed it on new models to make it massage the fuel consumption figures?
We had a hire VW Passat with the new 150 euro 6 engine and it cut out far more that our Cali 140 euro 5 does. The engine would cut out before the car had come to a rest. I think the newer engines cut out more and are a lot less fussy when, as our Cali only sometimes does it but the hire car was all the time.

Back