Bolts with no awning fitted

Bigted

Bigted

VIP Member
VIP Trade Partner
Vehicle
T5 Beach
hi all,

Just fitted a fammia f45s to my van and I thought I would share a little about the bolts I removed. You need a Torx 30 to undo them and the front bolts are about 5mm longer that the rear bolts.

Thought you needed longer bolts when fitting an awning as the ones in place from factory when no awning fitted from new.
And when removing the original factory fitted awning you need to place in shorter bolts or you may ending up damaging the roof.
Think a read it here on the forum .

Thanks Bigted,
best not to get them mixed up then! Was the fitting easy? and does it take the height of the camper above 2.0 meters? I did ask the question from Fiamma but never got a reply.

Thanks Gary

It only adds perhaps 5cm to the height in the middle of the roof (it has a slight curve that you notice once you add a straight line). It's a little lower that the VW one I think. It was an easy fit and took me less than an hour on my own. You get new bolts in the fitting kit from fiammia - interestingly they are the same length as the front ones I took out of the van.

Hi hotel Cali,

I was under the same impression but the front ones were the longer variety - the van had never had an awning fitted until now and the bolts had not been removed as I broke the sealant they had on them when removing them.

Last edited:
I have the VW Awning and the awning top is the same height as the roof centre, 2 m.

Judging by this picture the Fiamma F45 awning adds a good few cams to the vehicle height.

image.jpeg

VW California with Awning.

image.jpeg

Last edited:
Just had another look and its not as high as I said fractionally higher that the roof in the centre - still under 2m it looks like - I'll get a tape measure out tomorrow

Normaly with a awning the Cali stays just under 2 m but all depending on the suspention...seen Cali's higherd on here , but most are lowerd;)
Guess those bolts are different on Fiama or original VW (can't remeber the name)
Just be cautious when DIY...

You'll soon find out if you use 2m height restricted car parks.:thumb

View media item 636
Took this pic - it's fractionally higher than the roof - 1 cm or less I think - this is looking flat across the roof

Mines on 16" with standard suspension so I give it a measure when I get a chance.

Back