Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Boot with bike rack issue

E

Ellie Pickles

VIP Member
Just asking if anyone else has had this issue. We took ownership of our new cali back in September with the rear bike rack fitted before we collected. However, we've found the rear door doesnt stay fully open and drops about half a foot. Is this just the weight of the empty bike rack and to be expected or do we need it looked at? Ypu have to almost help the tail gate up that last few inches but it just drops back about half a foot. Just enough to mean you have to duck/catch your head on, annoying.

That sounds wrong to me.

Check the gas struts are labelled 1200N. Dark blue print on black so hard to see. But back to the dealer anyway - it should stay up with rack + chairs. Perhaps a bit of leeway if it only drops in very cold weather.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

Just asking if anyone else has had this issue. We took ownership of our new cali back in September with the rear bike rack fitted before we collected. However, we've found the rear door doesnt stay fully open and drops about half a foot. Is this just the weight of the empty bike rack and to be expected or do we need it looked at? Ypu have to almost help the tail gate up that last few inches but it just drops back about half a foot. Just enough to mean you have to duck/catch your head on, annoying.

It is quite normal in cold conditions. In the summertime, the gas expands and the pressure rises. Ours stay up with two (carbon) bikes on. But I have a telescopic pole (from a tarp) handy in the boot for support, when I need it to stay up.

On older models, there was an issue with different telescopic cylinders - they come with different pressures, so some needed upgrade when mounting the bike rack. There are threads on here.

You don't have the issue when the bike rack is mounted on the knob.

My experience with the bike rack is the colder the weather the less efficient it becomes under load

Alan
A very late thank you here. Great advice and info from you all and as suspected, there was a problem and the gas struts needed sorting out. We now have a tail gate that practically lifts you off the ground when you open it! Cheers all for taking the time to get back to me and apologies for the delayed thank you. Ellie

That sounds wrong to me.

Check the gas struts are labelled 1200N. Dark blue print on black so hard to see. But back to the dealer anyway - it should stay up with rack + chairs. Perhaps a bit of leeway if it only drops in very cold weather.

A very late thank you here. Great advice and info from you all and as suspected, there was a problem and the gas struts needed sorting out. We now have a tail gate that practically lifts you off the ground when you open it! Cheers all for taking the time to get back to me and apologies for the delayed thank you. Ellie

That sounds wrong to me.

It is quite normal in cold conditions. In the summertime, the gas expands and the pressure rises. Ours stay up with two (carbon) bikes on. But I have a telescopic pole (from a tarp) handy in the boot for support, when I need it to stay up.

On older models, there was an issue with different telescopic cylinders - they come with different pressures, so some needed upgrade when mounting the bike rack. There are threads on here.

You don't have the issue when the bike rack is mounted on the knob.

Be careful if we get a heatwave.:Nailbiting