Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bike rack dilemma

M

majorbooboo

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
We've just become Cali owners (last week), we've bought a lovely 2014 SE which has a tow ball fitted. We are keen cyclists and wondering what type of bike rack to fit. The tow bar ones seem good because you can lift the tail gate and still have access to the rear of the van without having to take the bikes (x 2) off, but the rears parking sensors won't function. The tail gate ones seem good because they are permanently fitted but the bikes are higher than the roof of the van and you have to take the bikes off to get access via the tailgate. Ho hum. I'd be interested to hear from owners with experience and practical input. By the way: do the tow bar racks snag when going up ramps e.g when driving onto a ferry? Looking forward to hearing back. M

We open our tailgate with two bikes on the tailgate mounted bike rack without removing them, provided the bikes aren't made of cast iron I can't see this being a problem.

We open our tailgate with two bikes on the tailgate mounted bike rack without removing them, provided the bikes aren't made of cast iron I can't see this being a problem.
Now that is very helpful to know - thank you

The tailgate can definitely be lifted up with the bikes on the bike rack, however I wouldn't recommend doing this with the roof up. The handlebars can easily scratch the roof.

I have a Atera DL 3 and it works perfectly for me (I carry only 2 bikes with me). Until now I didn't have any problems with ramps so far (only been to ferries in Croatia). If you have in mind to carry an extra storage box with you on the towbar there are also some brands (mft I think) who offer a combination (not at the same time) of both.

We also lift the tailgate with bikes on the rack , just making sure the handlebars don't touch the roof
Dave and Lisa

We've just become Cali owners (last week), we've bought a lovely 2014 SE which has a tow ball fitted. We are keen cyclists and wondering what type of bike rack to fit. The tow bar ones seem good because you can lift the tail gate and still have access to the rear of the van without having to take the bikes (x 2) off, but the rears parking sensors won't function. The tail gate ones seem good because they are permanently fitted but the bikes are higher than the roof of the van and you have to take the bikes off to get access via the tailgate. Ho hum. I'd be interested to hear from owners with experience and practical input. By the way: do the tow bar racks snag when going up ramps e.g when driving onto a ferry? Looking forward to hearing back. M
I have a Tow Bar and use an Altera rack. No problems on Ferries . I have a reversing camera so although sensors are disabled the camera still works.
With VW rack fitted with bikes you are height limited. E.g.: With rack and 2 bikes we could use the Paris A86 tunnel with its 2m height limit, but with a VW rack and 2 bikes then a problem.
Bike security with the Altera is easily reinforced and also makes a good bike rack on site and can leave tailgate open with rack and bikes attached.

I have a Tow Bar and use an Altera rack. No problems on Ferries . I have a reversing camera so although sensors are disabled the camera still works.
With VW rack fitted with bikes you are height limited. E.g.: With rack and 2 bikes we could use the Paris A86 tunnel with its 2m height limit, but with a VW rack and 2 bikes then a problem.
Bike security with the Altera is easily reinforced and also makes a good bike rack on site and can leave tailgate open with rack and bikes attached.
Agreed and exactly why after far to much thought I ended up.
Removable tow bar and Atera Strada DL3. I can always go tailgate route but other way round is far harder without the tow bar. I can't see me doing it though.

Mike

I have two bikes on VW bike rack, not heavy bikes but noy supper light. I've dented my door lifting the tailgate up, don't recommend it. The Atera DL3 and the Thule Euroclassic G6 both allow you to ope the tailgate.

I had the fiammi rack on my last camper, but my bikes are electric.
Soon got tired of lifting bikes down, now I have the thule bike rack which tilts backwards to allow tailgate to be lifted, wonderful.
The thule rack sits on the tow hitch