Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bought the van. What next?

Oh, yes, early on in our van ownership, I read (probably on this forum) something like, “The first ten nights are about working out how to get comfortable.” I thought that was very useful as a way of telling new owners not to worry if they don’t get a good night’s sleep on their first trip in their exciting new machine!

Of course, neither the vans we rented nor the one we eventually bought had a bed the size of the one in the Beach, so it may be less of an issue for you!

Just wanted to say hello! We're just setting off for our first trip after picking up our Beach yesterday! 2 kids and a baby on the way. Glad we're not the only mad people buying a Cali for our growing family!
Izz

We’ve gone beach. Wanted as much internal space as possible! A pop up tent is a good suggestion, thanks!
Less is more, don’t clutter yourself with too much kit, keep it simple and you won’t have holiday arguments wondering why you bought a California!

Good news on your cali arrival and good luck with baby arrival.

I would recommend a drive away awning for extra space, isotop cover or liner to make it warm / dark upstairs - our boy sleeps upstairs with us downstairs.

Then experiment with stuff depending on how you travel / where you stay.

If you want campsites with showers etc then it's a different list to if you are mainly wild camping.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Just wanted to say hello! We're just setting off for our first trip after picking up our Beach yesterday! 2 kids and a baby on the way. Glad we're not the only mad people buying a Cali for our growing family!
Izz
How did you get on? We did our first trip this weekend. Everything was great, although my 6 month pregnant wife was very uncomfortable on the mattress, so I think we'll be investing in a topper. Otherwise, all was good!

Hello, excited for you. I still get excited with mine. These are our absolute must haves when we go away with the kids.
1.) Loads of baby wipes and kitchen roll. We go through so much of the stuff with 2 kids.
2.)If your a kinda person who sets up camp for 4 days or more at a place, get an driveaway awning. Its makes such a massive difference, especially when the weather turns.
3.) Electric hook up cable and a mini ceramic heater, taking the chill out evenings in the awning or camper.
4.) Some way to.make a cup of tea, we got a jet boil but there are much cheaper options to heat water but the jet boil is so quick and compact
5.) Sleeping bags and pillows.

There are so many thing's you can buy, but as life, each to their own, but the baby wipes and kitchen roll, a defo :)

How did you get on? We did our first trip this weekend. Everything was great, although my 6 month pregnant wife was very uncomfortable on the mattress, so I think we'll be investing in a topper. Otherwise, all was good!
We had already booked a camp pod to sleep in, so didnt sleep in our beach.... :( Then this weekend, we were planning on going to Norfolk, but cancelled in favour of a diy weekend, as the weather was looking pretty chilly.
Next try in 2 weeks time... I'll be 32 weeks - but we have the topper for the downstairs matress, so I'm hoping it will be comfy.... Will report back. Desperate to get adventuring!

Where did you go? And were you warm enough at night?

We’ve just ordered our Cali Beach today! X2 adults and x3 kids! Having to wait until Sep/Oct for delivery but keen to hear and read other people’s experiences so far. My big worry is where we’re going to put all the bedding! I think we’ll be going for a roof box

We’ve just ordered our Cali Beach today! X2 adults and x3 kids! Having to wait until Sep/Oct for delivery but keen to hear and read other people’s experiences so far. My big worry is where we’re going to put all the bedding! I think we’ll be going for a roof box

Congrats on the order :bananadance2
Regarding bedding: fitted sheets to both beds (upper bed is the size of a single duvet cover) double fitted sheet to comfort mattress.
Either sleeping bags or duck down quilts, ikea do a transparent square bag with zipper, called a DIMPA (dimensions 65x 22x 65cm) which is ideal to shove bedding and pillows in to get the. Out the way and compress them,
you can then use nylon webbing straps to further compress the package.
They can be stored on top of the folded. Comfort mattress (on the multi flex board)
Alternatively get yourself a drive away awning or small pop up tent you can use to dump your gear in.
I wouldn’t rush out and buy a lot of gear, until you get the van and use it, you will learn very quickly how you use the van and what you need for your particular use.

Back