Britax Max-Way

sapto

sapto

Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 130
Hi to all California kids and parents
We are driving an T5 without ISOFIX and are currently looking for a seat for our son (2y, around 9KG).
I had a closer look at the Britax Roemer Max-Way Plus seat: Does anyone have first hand experience with these seat? I know there are more seats facing forward however we are hoping to find one facing backwards.

Thank you for your comments and ideas!

Hi to all California kids and parents
We are driving an T5 without ISOFIX and are currently looking for a seat for our son (2y, around 9KG).
I had a closer look at the Britax Roemer Max-Way Plus seat: Does anyone have first hand experience with these seat? I know there are more seats facing forward however we are hoping to find one facing backwards.

Thank you for your comments and ideas!
At 2y old why do you want him to sit backwards? I appreciate in case of frontal impact the head being already laying on the backrest, but he'll struggle for room for his legs with a "reboarder" at that age, assuming you find one. That's why i think there aren't many reboarder available for that class.
And he won't fit for long as he'll need to put his legs somewhere as he grows.
I went for the Cybex Gold Juno 2 Fix, was ranking high in the adac tests at the time.

Can I ask why your t5 doesn't have isofix?
Your 2 Yr old must be quite small as mine is nearly double the weight. We are swapping him into a forward facing as his head is already starting to sit above the top of the seat.
It's recommended to try and keep them rear facing for as long as possible at such a young age.

At 2y old why do you want him to sit backwards? I appreciate in case of frontal impact the head being already laying on the backrest, but he'll struggle for room for his legs with a "reboarder" at that age, assuming you find one. That's why i think there aren't many reboarder available for that class.
And he won't fit for long as he'll need to put his legs somewhere as he grows.
I went for the Cybex Gold Juno 2 Fix, was ranking high in the adac tests at the time.
Thank you for your thoughts and comment. You're def right re leg room and growing and we try to keep the "baby maxi cosi" as long as possible (he is quite small or actually just like his parents). However we or I was hoping to find a seat to give him the benefits of the rear facing seats as long as possible. At at the moment as mentioned he's just fine with the maxi cosi. I have a closer look Cybex - Thank you!

Can I ask why your t5 doesn't have isofix?
Your 2 Yr old must be quite small as mine is nearly double the weight. We are swapping him into a forward facing as his head is already starting to sit above the top of the seat.
It's recommended to try and keep them rear facing for as long as possible at such a young age.
Well, I guess I've got an old T5 (2005) so back then Isofix was something from the future. I keep on searching however I only find two models from Britax Römer with the option: rear facing and no-isofix. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Another vote for the cybex seats. We have two z fix versions in the van. My kids are older though. 4 and 7. Superb seats. Think I like is that they work for isofix and for seat belt only if you need too. The adjustment is great. Kids love them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nuna rebl plus. Swivel seat that will allow you to have them either front or rear facing. They now recommend keeping them rear facing for as long as possible, up to 4 years old.

Thank you @Neilos @Matty! I‘ll get a closer look at these suggestions. I‘d really hope I‘ll find one rear facing working without ISOFIX.

we had a britax two way elite in our passenger car - it was rear facing with no isofix so the belts held it in, and you then had to rest the back up to the seat in front so I am not sure if T5 seats will go that close. Probably need to find someone who has one or sells one to find out.

Our little one was rear facing until she was 5 - quickly get used to sitting cross legged, legroom was never a problem. She's now in a Cybex z-fix which we like very much but forward facing only - both with and without isofix.

If you have a t5 cali it might be worth checking from the back if you have isofix as the metal loops are hidden way way deeper than they are on any other vehicle that I have seen - you can easily see them from the back of the bench seat but they're an absolute git to find from the front, seem to be buried about 4 inches in.

we had a britax two way elite in our passenger car - it was rear facing with no isofix so the belts held it in, and you then had to rest the back up to the seat in front so I am not sure if T5 seats will go that close. Probably need to find someone who has one or sells one to find out.

Our little one was rear facing until she was 5 - quickly get used to sitting cross legged, legroom was never a problem. She's now in a Cybex z-fix which we like very much but forward facing only - both with and without isofix.

If you have a t5 cali it might be worth checking from the back if you have isofix as the metal loops are hidden way way deeper than they are on any other vehicle that I have seen - you can easily see them from the back of the bench seat but they're an absolute git to find from the front, seem to be buried about 4 inches in.

Great point wiht your suggestion re Cybex! Really appreciate that! Thank you! I‘ll keep this one in mind and I might have to dig a bit deeper from the back of the bench however I thought ISOFIX would have been mentioned or at least a sign

One thing to check before buying is that the seat belt will reach round, depending on the way its fitted. Just a point worth noting.

when I get the Cali back from the mendy-man I'll take a picture from the rear. The fixings are really deep in the seats, right next to some sharp metalwork! From memory they are aligned with the inset covers but they are a long way back (and up). Did I mention adjacent to sharp metalwork..

1582634643371.png

when I get the Cali back from the mendy-man I'll take a picture from the rear. The fixings are really deep in the seats, right next to some sharp metalwork! From memory they are aligned with the inset covers but they are a long way back (and up). Did I mention adjacent to sharp metalwork..

View attachment 55724

Thanks for taking the time to take a picture! Great! And as far as I see your van is around 2005/06 as well?

it's a 2008 - but I have just found an old picture from the reverse

You can see the isofix bars here. If you can see them from the back you can get them from the front - first time was a two person job - one at the back watching and the other at the front putting their hands through. I already mentioned the sharp metal next to it, right...

1582635755360.png

it's a 2008 - but I have just found an old picture from the reverse

You can see the isofix bars here. If you can see them from the back you can get them from the front - first time was a two person job - one at the back watching and the other at the front putting their hands through. I already mentioned the sharp metal next to it, right...

View attachment 55725
Same as on the facelift van and a right pain.
The best way I have found to get to these is to move the seat forward and put the back at an angle. Then the Isofix loops are easier to locate. Once the child seat is locked in, the seatback can be put upright and the whole seat moved back again.

Thanks for taking the time to take a picture! Great! And as far as I see your van is around 2005/06 as well?
The rear 2 seater bench is the same in 2005 as it is in 2008 and 2016. So unless your rear bench seat has been modified it should have the Isofix connectors/brackets.

Have you checked out Concord child seats.
German company and from my experience fantastic.
I'm sure they do rear facing seats, we bought a forward facing seat when our kids were slightly older which expands as the grow, call a 'Transformer seat' only just stop using it at 10yrs of age. Kids still miss them, apparently more comfortable than the camper seats!

You are all so fantastic! Love this board! Thanks for pointing me in the right direction @WelshGas and all the others.
And sorry for doubting our fantastic superb California... of course our van‘s got ISOFIX too... well hidden and yes not easy to reach.
cb8c99e113fa566963a424ca18f4b395.jpg

ee88e04b3626a08cdf755b5ce486afee.jpg

So next step try our station and seatI‘ll keep you posted!

Can the seat be put in forward facing when he's older?
We have an old britax that swivels round for both.

Yes, we have a Maxi Cosi Pearl Pro (2019), which can be placed forwardfacing or rear facing. We are so happy everything fits (yes, it‘s kinda tricky to fiddle the Isofix station in it‘s position but move the bench and lay it 1-2 position really helped me - thanks again)

Yes, we have a Maxi Cosi Pearl Pro (2019), which can be placed forwardfacing or rear facing. We are so happy everything fits (yes, it‘s kinda tricky to fiddle the Isofix station in it‘s position but move the bench and lay it 1-2 position really helped me - thanks again)

Great choice! we had the two way pearl in our Cali and our (small) daughter stayed rear facing until aged 4. It’s a good solid seat and that base can handle getting taken in and out loads