Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Broken floor panel

I

icic

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
It appear the wood floor panel (by the back bench) under the Lino coving has cracked as putting any weight on it it flexes a great deal, (which it did not do before) far more than the other side of the rail. Standing on it feels like you might go through it. I think this happened when a knuckle of a stand was put on the floor and a lot of weight put on top of that, giving in effect a large weight on a small surface area, hence why it’s appeared to have cracked the floor. I can’t see any crack as the plastic floor covers and damage.
I have a few questions about this. I think to replace this means removing everything in the van, kitchen unit .. everything. Has anyone ever done this ? It’s still under warranty (just) but worry that the dealer taking everything out they won’t ever get in back again as a factory fit (I have found this to be the case with other repairs the dealer has made). I am minded to just leave it, and watch my step.
However my other question has anyone ever seen underneath the floor, how deep is the cavity under the wooden floor panel to the metal floor of the van. I ask as if it’s not far then any flex in the cracked floor panel would hopefully hit the metal floor before further breaking, leaving a spongy floor but no danger of going through it, if the cavity is shallow it hopefully be OK to leave it ? Be great if anyone has any insight into this

The floor is ribbed as below, I would guess the wood rest on the top normally & your cracked bit can drop down as far as the lower level but no further.

0087-vw-transporter-2019.jpeg

It appear the wood floor panel (by the back bench) under the Lino coving has cracked as putting any weight on it it flexes a great deal, (which it did not do before) far more than the other side of the rail. Standing on it feels like you might go through it. I think this happened when a knuckle of a stand was put on the floor and a lot of weight put on top of that, giving in effect a large weight on a small surface area, hence why it’s appeared to have cracked the floor. I can’t see any crack as the plastic floor covers and damage.
I have a few questions about this. I think to replace this means removing everything in the van, kitchen unit .. everything. Has anyone ever done this ? It’s still under warranty (just) but worry that the dealer taking everything out they won’t ever get in back again as a factory fit (I have found this to be the case with other repairs the dealer has made). I am minded to just leave it, and watch my step.
However my other question has anyone ever seen underneath the floor, how deep is the cavity under the wooden floor panel to the metal floor of the van. I ask as if it’s not far then any flex in the cracked floor panel would hopefully hit the metal floor before further breaking, leaving a spongy floor but no danger of going through it, if the cavity is shallow it hopefully be OK to leave it ? Be great if anyone has any insight into this
Wood? I don’t think anything in a T5 or T6 California is made of wood. Galvanised steel, aluminium cupboards and very tough airplane-style plastic.
Do you mean the luggage shelf/rear bed? or the main cabin floor? Whatever is under there I don’t think it’s wood.

Wood? I don’t think anything in a T5 or T6 California is made of wood. Galvanised steel, aluminium cupboards and very tough airplane-style plastic.
Do you mean the luggage shelf/rear bed? or the main cabin floor? Whatever is under there I don’t think it’s wood.
He said the main floor, which is a sheet of ply with either grey dimpled floor or wood effect vinyl floor finish on top.

At about 1:25 Chris removes the rail end cap and you can see that there is OSB or similar under the wood effect flooring in this van

At about 1:25 Chris removes the rail end cap and you can see that there is OSB or similar under the wood effect flooring in this van

That’s amazing. He says normally plastic though right?

Actually when I thought about it, the rear shelf on my T5 is mdf I think.

That’s amazing. He says normally plastic though right?
Nothing amazing about it, just lift the end cap & its easy to see there's a sheet of wood under, on the grey normal flooring its even more obvious.

The floor is ribbed as below, I would guess the wood rest on the top normally & your cracked bit can drop down as far as the lower level but no further.

View attachment 101428

Thats makes sense seeing that, the ply has split, Looking at a van floor with the base metal, the spongy bit is where there is a big gap between ridges, I think its fine to just leave it, don't think the plastic top coat can't split. thanks for all the help

If its too spongy you could take a rail out for access poke some window frame packers or the like between the metal floor & the ply.

If its too spongy you could take a rail out for access poke some window frame packers or the like between the metal floor & the ply.
thats a fantastic idea, I will give that a go

thats a fantastic idea, I will give that a go
I think you may also be able to get to the space by removing the sliding door step trim if you want to attack from that side.

Back