Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Water under floor carpet

K

Kjetil

Vehicle
T5 SE 130
I’m not sure if this is the proper thread for this issue but…
I found water under the floor carpet. No idea where it originates from. Best case is that it’s only under drivers section. Maybe it has trickled down from the door opening. I don’t know. After removing the drivers seat there is water as shown in the pic. Has anyone experienced this? I realise I need to remove the floor mattress to clean up properly.

Any advise on how to do that, or if there is quick fix you can share, will be highly appreciated.image.jpg

One of the common reasons why you see water inside at the front end is that the roof top drain tubes have become dislodged. These run behind the A pillars in front of the front doors.

Open the roof and use a watering can to run some water in the channels and see if it comes out inside.

If you've had your front roof cowl replaced with the plastic cover on the corrosion recall then the sealant can crack and allow water in and it can drain to the floor.

Thanks. I managed to search some threads yesterday after I posted this (search function was down a couple of days).
The roof drainage was one of the possible solutions I read about.
Well, right now I have removed my seats and the frames and have started to figure out what to do with the floor carpet which is totally soaked with water. I’m considering removing and let it dry in the sun, but not sure where to start. I was hoping to leave for a trip next week.

Thanks. I managed to search some threads yesterday after I posted this (search function was down a couple of days).
Well, right now I have removed my seats and the frames and have started to figure out what to do with the floor carpet which is totally soaked with water. I’m considering removing and let it dry in the sun, but not sure where to start. I was hoping to leave for a trip next week.
Dehumidifier?

Dehumidifier?
Yes my thought too. Removal of the carpet runs the risk of displacing cables....and there are loads of them in that area. You can hire a dehumidifier and if you only raise the carpet to allow air flow the carpet should be dry in a short while. But of course you do need to locate and fix the source of the water getting in.

Whilst you have the seats out put a hose on the three main areas at separate times, roof, windscreen and the door to see if you can find the source of the water ingress, usually down the front pillars. Once sorted then dry the floor. Good luck.

Yes my thought too. Removal of the carpet runs the risk of displacing cables....and there are loads of them in that area. You can hire a dehumidifier and if you only raise the carpet to allow air flow the carpet should be dry in a short while. But of course you do need to locate and fix the source of the water getting in.
Yes, good thoughts. I have a desperate idea to cut the carpet across from door to door, halfway in front of the seats. But I realise the risk of cutting through cables. Could be a quick fix or a disaster. If I manage that it could be quite handy and it wouldn’t have any impact on the function since I have an extra carpet over both front and seating area.

Sadly enough I feel moisture also under the hard floor in the seating area. And that is a completely different story.

Most important thing is trace the leak. The carpet will eventually dry out by itself.

We had blocked scuttle drains on a BMW 5 series that soaked the entire carpet in the cabin (drivers footwell was like a paddling pool after heavy rain) - Use a wet vac to clear the excess by squashing the vac head into the carpet pile, if you are not able to use a dehumidifier, then just allow as much ventilation as possible (ie, leave the doors open if on a campsite) as this will also do the trick eventually. Can also stick the camping heater on to assist, but leave a window open slightly so water vapour can escape.

Whilst you have the seats out put a hose on the three main areas at separate times, roof, windscreen and the door to see if you can find the source of the water ingress, usually down the front pillars. Once sorted then dry the floor. Good luck.
I started to look under the plastic cover under the windscreen vipers but couldn’t see that there’s a blockage there. I did see what I assume is the drainage outlet from the roof, but since I have disconnected the power source ( leisure battery) in order to remove the chairs I will have to wait until I put everything back again. The back-end drainage holes on the roof were plugged earlier this summer but that was unlikely the cause for the water now, however if the front drainage hasn’t been overlooked either, that’s where the problem might be, I hope .

Opening this thread again. Third time removal of front seats and carpet to dry out.

I was on a nice but rainy trip to Norway for two weeks and came back with a soaking wet floor. The positive thing is it doesn’ seem to include the hard floor. The left drainage hole was plugged and water ingress seem to begin on the left hand side since the carpet seem dry from centre front to the right. Drainage hose seem intact and fit in both ends, but where does the water pour down, is it inside the A-pillar? I managed to carefully blow some air through the pipe and successful test with water running through.

Would it be a good idea to test with some watercoloured water, plug the drainage from the roof and see if the water shows up in the cabin?

3C51E876-D83F-49AD-A99A-313D64A23756.jpeg

Have you had your front roof cowl replaced due to roof corrosion? If so the sealant can crack and allow water in down the front A pillars.

Have you had your front roof cowl replaced due to roof corrosion? If so the sealant can crack and allow water in down the front A pillars.
I have no idea, but I don’t think it has been replaced. There are a few small signs of aluminum corrosion.
I have now poured a couple of decilitres in the roof channel with the drainage hole blocked, and the water slowly disappears under the rubber seal but I can’t find out where it goes. It hasn’t showed up on the floor yet and I’m trying to feel with my fingers where I can reach but doesn’t feel any moist. maybe it will take some time. Maybe it vapour away before it reaches the floor.

Another culprit is the windscreen. I was told by VW service engineer that this is fairly common - particularly if the windscreen has been replaced.

Another culprit is the windscreen. I was told by VW service engineer that this is fairly common - particularly if the windscreen has been replaced.
Thanks, yes, but the relatively small amount of water I pour into the roof channel disappears under the rubber front sealing. However it doesn’t show up in the cabin, or on the garage floor. Yet, so maybe I’m building up a water reservoir somewhere. I will increase the amount and see what happens.

Thanks, yes, but the relatively small amount of water I pour into the roof channel disappears under the rubber front sealing. However it doesn’t show up in the cabin, or on the garage floor. Yet, so maybe I’m building up a water reservoir somewhere. I will increase the amount and see what happens.
Post #25 Might help….

Thanks again. Third try now with hole completely plugged, silicon sealed around the grommet and channel filled up with water.

3B442EBC-881E-4122-B97E-7A52914F636D.jpeg

I think you need to seal down the sides and bottom of the roof drain grommet to stop the leaks.

DSC_2278~2.JPG

I think you need to seal down the sides and bottom of the roof drain grommet to stop the leaks.

View attachment 85544
Yes, and that is what I did. No water seem to have leaked through with the hole plugged. Before I sealed, as you described, the water disappeared in an hour or so. Everything is now back in place and running again. Thanks everyone.

Yes, my rubber grommets are not in that bad shape but still the video is a very good description of the problem. Thanks. What year model of the Cali?
That video was taken by member NRDSRFR who has a T5 SE 2006 LHD but I had similar leak issues from my 2010 T5.1 SE on which I sealed the roof grommet but later found it was the plastic roof cowl repair mastic that had cracked and caused my leak which VW repaired free of charge last year.

That video was taken by member NRDSRFR who has a T5 SE 2006 LHD but I had similar leak issues from my 2010 T5.1 SE on which I sealed the roof grommet but later found it was the plastic roof cowl repair mastic that had cracked and caused my leak which VW repaired free of charge last year.
I have a 2005 SE. I must ask; What is “the plastic roof cowl mastic”?
I managed to confirm no leak around the grommets but I am really not 100% certain tht is where leak was.