Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Broken Front Seat Arm Rest

Perfectos

Perfectos

VIP Member
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Let us know how you get on, some photos before, during and after would be useful to others.

T

Topsy

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
We managed to break an arm rest last night on out T6 Cali. We have always used the drivers seat turned around 180 degrees and it’s arm rest as a step to get up and down from pop top roof.
Last night something broke in the mechanism that lets you adjust its position with thumb screw. The thumb screw is locked solid and the arm just revolves around.
Has this happen to anyone else? Is it an easy fix I can do myself or expensive VW Dealer visit?
I would be interested to know, how do others get up and down from pop top?
I did exactly the same on my T5. Don't worry I took it to the VW dealer and they repaired it and although I can't remember how much it cost it was not expensive (less the £50 for sure).

Kirx

Kirx

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
I did exactly the same thing on mine too, so interested in how you are fixing it and how much it will cost. I’m probably not going down the DIT route though as useless as all things like that.
Good luck
Kirstie

BikerGran

BikerGran

Growing old disgracefully
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 174
I've done the same so will follow this with interest - I was just going to leave it but if there's a cheapish fix it would be better to get it done!

A

andrew bazeley

VIP Member
I bet everyone does this when they first get a Cali! You soon learn. Replacement cost of my leather one 11 years ago was over £300. Luckily, the very kind dealer I bought it from got it replaced under the warranty!

By the way, I think the best solution is a small light ladder. My aluminium 2-piece Fiamma is perfect, and stores easily in the boot.

Shaun0008

Shaun0008

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
This is a common problem and a fairly easy fix. When I bought my California the previous owner managed to break not one but two of the armests. With help of a utube video
there few others as well just look under "T5 armrest repair " I repaired both of mine. The repair part can be had for 6.50 on Ebay https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/123989126212 it is a easy job that can be done in less then half an hour. Cheers from Shaun in San Francisco California

M

mountainman

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
I don't use the arm rest for climbing on and have asked others not to. However, it is a lost cause because someone always does. So... I have often found my are rests right down and the adjuster stuck. Like you I thought that was bust. However, I managed to get the adjuster to rotate again with a bit of force and hey presto! I could wind it back up again. Have now done this several times. Simply don't know how that works, but it does. Of course there is always the possibility that yours really is broken. But try freeing of the adjuster and see what happens.