Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Broken Front Seat Arm Rest

I bet everyone does this when they first get a Cali! You soon learn. Replacement cost of my leather one 11 years ago was over £300. Luckily, the very kind dealer I bought it from got it replaced under the warranty!

By the way, I think the best solution is a small light ladder. My aluminium 2-piece Fiamma is perfect, and stores easily in the boot.

This is a common problem and a fairly easy fix. When I bought my California the previous owner managed to break not one but two of the armests. With help of a utube video
there few others as well just look under "T5 armrest repair " I repaired both of mine. The repair part can be had for 6.50 on Ebay https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/123989126212 it is a easy job that can be done in less then half an hour. Cheers from Shaun in San Francisco California

I don't use the arm rest for climbing on and have asked others not to. However, it is a lost cause because someone always does. So... I have often found my are rests right down and the adjuster stuck. Like you I thought that was bust. However, I managed to get the adjuster to rotate again with a bit of force and hey presto! I could wind it back up again. Have now done this several times. Simply don't know how that works, but it does. Of course there is always the possibility that yours really is broken. But try freeing of the adjuster and see what happens.

I too have discovered the hard way that the arm rests will not hold a person over an extended period of time.
I bought a new replacement from VW for £161.41 ! I then took the opportunity to dismantle the broken one to see how it all worked. The wheel you turn to adjust the rest’s angle simply turns a threaded rod which moves its other end relative to the cast insert at the seat end. A set up which is perfectly fit for purpose as an arm rest but certainly not as a step. Lesson learned.
As it happened, one of the other arm rests had gone “floppy” and I realised the spring which creates resistance to stop the raised arm dropping had broken inside. I took the opportunity to cannibalise the previously broken arm for its spring. I have to say it’s a fiendishly difficult assembly to work on. Photo of the various parts attached.
If anyone needs specific advice I’m happy to share my experience.

BA677965-3FE3-4872-9FAB-E7EFD32CC8AB.jpeg

I too have discovered the hard way that the arm rests will not hold a person over an extended period of time.
I bought a new replacement from VW for £161.41 ! I then took the opportunity to dismantle the broken one to see how it all worked. The wheel you turn to adjust the rest’s angle simply turns a threaded rod which moves its other end relative to the cast insert at the seat end. A set up which is perfectly fit for purpose as an arm rest but certainly not as a step. Lesson learned.
As it happened, one of the other arm rests had gone “floppy” and I realised the spring which creates resistance to stop the raised arm dropping had broken inside. I took the opportunity to cannibalise the previously broken arm for its spring. I have to say it’s a fiendishly difficult assembly to work on. Photo of the various parts attached.
If anyone needs specific advice I’m happy to share my experience.

View attachment 67524
Expensive lesson David! After reading of others similar experience I opted to buy a ladder. Safest option for all but the most featherlight of Cali owners.

You are quite right but, as Moutainman above says, it can sometimes be a lost cause asking others not to stand on them.

I would just like to know how to remove them - I think they're just a nuisance!

I would just like to know how to remove them - I think they're just a nuisance!
Flick the cover off at the hinge (lift gently next to the seat with a flat implement and pull towards you) and undo the fixing screw. You’ll then have an ugly threaded hole to hide.

Flick the cover off at the hinge (lift gently next to the seat with a flat implement and pull towards you) and undo the fixing screw. You’ll then have an ugly threaded hole to hide.
I have some nice stainless bolts that may do that!

I have some nice stainless bolts that may do that!

You need a 10mm spline driver bit to get the bolt out, and an awful lot of welly if it hasn't been taken off before because it is threadlocked in place. Best done with 2 people, one to hold the end of the wrench to ensure it stays square and the other to push on it. What is left is a metal block about 10mm x 10mm that sticks out 10mm with a bolt hole in, so needs more than a bolt to make it vanish (see pic - you can see the 12 point spline drive head on the bolt too). I was considering 3d printing a cover to tidy up the missing one on mine.

if you really dislike them that much I will buy a right hand one if it's available at a fair price :)

IMG_20201009_203401049.jpg

Last edited:
Back