Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Broken in side window - easy pushed in by burglars

Apart from lowering insurance premiums, do you feel the alarm has any value? Would you spec it if not standard?

Genuinely interested to hear different people's views
I would always insist on an alarm and immobiliser on any vehicle but to keep abreast of professional car thieves I think you need more. There are some good threads on the forum for such things.

I would always insist on an alarm and immobiliser on any vehicle but to keep abreast of professional car thieves I think you need more. There are some good threads on the forum for such things.
I'm in 2 minds whether to add the optional alarm, then add something else too, but just don't believe it really does anything

In fact every Car I’ve owned back to the early 1990s has had an alarm as standard.
Might be a UK thing, I ticked almost every box on my last car but still didn't bother with an alarm

It would probably not be easy to get insurance in the UK without a properly fitted alarm and immobiliser. Certainly on a vehicle costing over £60k.

It would probably not be easy to get insurance in the UK without a properly fitted alarm and immobiliser. Certainly on a vehicle costing over £60k.
Good point, although strange when the general opinion on the forum is that alarms don't really do anything

Good point, although strange when the general opinion on the forum is that alarms don't really do anything
I certainly think that here in the UK the feeling is not the same as Switzerland. In fact you couldn’t buy a vehicle here that isn’t fitted with an Alarm/Immobiliser. I know that when I went to insure my bike there was no chance without an immobiliser. To me I wouldn’t be without one but then we don’t get the opportunity not to.

Nothing will stop a Smash & Grab opportunist thief. However having Deadlocks activated on all doors will limit the effectiveness of such a thief as he/she could only take what they could reach.
Combined with an Immobiliser for the engine means that the vehicle cannot be hot wired easily so deterring joy riders.
Nothing will deter a professional thief/team who are after a particular vehicle. They will either get the key someway or tow/lift the vehicle.

UK and some other European markets Insurance requirements basically drive fitment of enhanced security systems.

Basic Alarm for most EU cars is "perimeter alarm" which basically means if the car is locked and the doors/tailgate/bonnet are opened then a sounder (normally the standard horn) is triggered and hazard lights (or some visual indicator) - Immo has been standard on all cars since 1995 sold in EU. (if homologated for EU)

For enhanced security (ie. Thatcham type rules, you also need deadlocking, intrusion sensor(s) and a battery backed up sounder that can still operate with the battery disconnected and a tilt sensor that detects vehicle being towed or jacked is a further enhancement). Almost all intrusion sensors apart from convertible cars use a volumetric detection method.

The Thatcham and Thatcham type rules cover more than just the Alarm, lock strength and numerous other checks are used to determine the rating, but basically you need to meet most of the rules to get the rating

Nothing will stop a Smash & Grab opportunist thief. However having Deadlocks activated on all doors will limit the effectiveness of such a thief as he/she could only take what they could reach.
Combined with an Immobiliser for the engine means that the vehicle cannot be hot wired easily so deterring joy riders.
Nothing will deter a professional thief/team who are after a particular vehicle. They will either get the key someway or tow/lift the vehicle.
Yeah sad but true, still might add the option now we've been talking about it!

Of course I'll have to actually speak to the dealer, because this translated description is fairly useless:

- Theft alarm system with interior monitoring in the driver's cab and safe security
- 370 CHF
- Theft alarm system with interior monitoring in the driver's cab
- Central locking with radio remote control and safe securing

No alarm on it’s own is going to stop an opportunist thief. But the California With is Thatcham cat 1 system and interior movement sensors certainly give a certain peace of mind. Mainly thieves are not going to hang around too long with an alarm blaring and headlights flashing.

No alarm on it’s own is going to stop an opportunist thief. But the California With is Thatcham cat 1 system and interior movement sensors certainly give a certain peace of mind. Mainly thieves are not going to hang around too long with an alarm blaring and headlights flashing.
Think you've convinced me

just turn the drivers seat around . it will take them 10mins to put it back lol.

Yeah sad but true, still might add the option now we've been talking about it!

Of course I'll have to actually speak to the dealer, because this translated description is fairly useless:

- Theft alarm system with interior monitoring in the driver's cab and safe security
- 370 CHF
- Theft alarm system with interior monitoring in the driver's cab
- Central locking with radio remote control and safe securing
Did your dealer tell you if the "safe securing" is the same as deadlock?

Did your dealer tell you if the "safe securing" is the same as deadlock?
Ahh it could be! I was thinking it was literally a safe, to put little things in, or a lockable glovebox... I emailed yesterday, think I'll get an answer in the next day or two.

Meanwhile, what are your thoughts for your vehicle? Continue as you are, or add some additional security?

Ahh it could be! I was thinking it was literally a safe, to put little things in, or a lockable glovebox... I emailed yesterday, think I'll get an answer in the next day or two.

Meanwhile, what are your thoughts for your vehicle? Continue as you are, or add some additional security?
You probably live in a relatively crime free country but that’s not how it is in the rest of Europe. As the first poster found out in France. Having insurance is one thing but you have to do everything in your power to avoid this happening to you. An alarm is just one thing, staying on designated camp sites is another. Aires are great as long as you don’t leave the vehicle for too long. It’s awful to think that you permanently have to keep your guard up because someone wants to steal what you have worked a lifetime to get.

Just had the confirmation that deadlock doesn’t exist on Swiss vans. I imagine burglars know it! Quite scary! I’ll delete this thread as I’m pretty sure they check forums also…

I wonder if that is a Swiss safety law. Dead locking a van would prevent anyone inside escaping from the car in the event of disaster such as fire. It would also greatly hinder the rescue of an infant left in the car in hot weather. Each year, worldwide, there are tragic stories of babies being boiled by absent minded drivers.

In all seriousness, for those with deadlocks this is a great tactic. If you cant get the door open then the seat isn't coming round without a fight.
Except it won't stop your contents being taken which was the issue with the OP.

I wonder if that is a Swiss safety law. Dead locking a van would prevent anyone inside escaping from the car in the event of disaster such as fire. It would also greatly hinder the rescue of an infant left in the car in hot weather. Each year, worldwide, there are tragic stories of babies being boiled by absent minded drivers.

This is why the US market doesn't have deadlocking on VW group vehicles either.

Except it won't stop your contents being taken which was the issue with the OP.
That's what we need to break down here, as with any security, what are you defending against?

Security typically breaks down in to 2 parts, prevention and detection.

Alarm - detection - makes a noise but most ignore it. Might prevent someone from trying because they see the sticker, but probably won't. Nothing to do with smash and grab or driving away the vehicle. Easy to disable by the pro theives.

Deadlocks - prevention for opening the door, but not for the window, means smash and grab bit harder because entry and exit have to be via the window, but those are big windows so won't change that bag/iPad/wallet left on the seat being taken.

Immobiliser - prevention - harder to start the car, nothing to do with smash and grab

Security windows - prevention - now this is something often overlooked, if the windows are the weak link in the security chain, then that's the bit to strengthen. I added security windows to my last car, which are both quieter and much harder to break. Interestingly is they are described as a comfort feature in Switzerland, and as a security feature in the UK (and probably many other places).

Although as said earlier there is a negative; harder to break for thieves means harder to break for everyone else, so for emergency services they have to rip the door off or go via the rear window on some cars (by design).

Overall as with all security, and also said by others on this thread, you have to accept where to draw the line. You can only reduce the chances, never remove it completely. Therefore the practical advice of parking in the right spots is probably the most effective way to protect what you have.

And just accept one day you might have to call the insurance company, no matter what you did, therefore do what you can and enjoy your van but don't be careless.

P

Thanks would like to know if I should have taken this option. I’m going to have to replace the whole window, not a cheap but the insurance will pay for it.
Would like to add the Deadlock on the van but I imagine it isn’t possible. I’ll mostly now be very careful where I park my van. And as usual not leave anything of value in it. Mostly no bags in views. We had one bag with clothes in on tje floor in the back and that must be what made them want to come in. They only stole a bag of clothes, 2 little bags (with our toothbrush,…) and a little waletwith some swiss left over change.
It was a good warning in a way! Never happened to me since 25 years of owning a vehicle…

Back