Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Broken in side window - easy pushed in by burglars

P

Thanks would like to know if I should have taken this option. I’m going to have to replace the whole window, not a cheap but the insurance will pay for it.
Would like to add the Deadlock on the van but I imagine it isn’t possible. I’ll mostly now be very careful where I park my van. And as usual not leave anything of value in it. Mostly no bags in views. We had one bag with clothes in on tje floor in the back and that must be what made them want to come in. They only stole a bag of clothes, 2 little bags (with our toothbrush,…) and a little waletwith some swiss left over change.
It was a good warning in a way! Never happened to me since 25 years of owning a vehicle…
I expect you can add it at anytime, I'll ask this week, meanwhile I'm googling and see this:

Seems promising

Just had an update from the dealer, for Swiss vans:

- the immobilser is standard
- the alarm option (on new vehicles) is only there to let you know the vehicle has been broken in to (not sure if that means the siren or via app)
- i've asked about "Safesicherung" if that means deadlocking

Interesting the dealer said not a single customer of his has taken the alarm option

Still finding out if its possible to add all/any of this aftermarket

- the alarm option (on new vehicles) is only there to let you know the vehicle has been broken in to (not sure if that means the siren or via app)

Interesting the dealer said not a single customer of his has taken the alarm option

You probably would be able to add an aftermarket system but probably wouldn’t be as good as the VW Thatcham cat 1 alarm/immobiliser and no doubt more expensive.

Adding the VW intrusion sensor should be straight forward, they are normally separate parts that snap into overhead consoles, then again normally they are on a dedicated LIN network connection to the BCM. (@Loz might have access to the T6.1 circuits). So normally a local power / ground and the LIN wire to the BCM. Then have it coded on in the BCM. I would say 90% of the benefit is this sensor(s)

Deadlocking/Double locking is likely to be more invasive and expensive. The standard latches might not have the extra deadlocking motors/levers etc and the wiring is unlikely to there, as multiple people have pointed out there are pros / cons to this, but given you have to break in the cabin to try and access the interior handle, the intrusion sensor should have already triggered.

Battery Backed up sounder / Tilt sensor cover off more extreme cases, but again it will be an extra LIN wire, power, ground, physically bolting it in and then BCM coding.

I should say this is theory and without the exact circuits and T6.1 coding, i am taking this from what i understand of the T6.

A

Adding the VW intrusion sensor should be straight forward, they are normally separate parts that snap into overhead consoles, then again normally they are on a dedicated LIN network connection to the BCM. (@Loz might have access to the T6.1 circuits). So normally a local power / ground and the LIN wire to the BCM. Then have it coded on in the BCM. I would say 90% of the benefit is this sensor(s)

Deadlocking/Double locking is likely to be more invasive and expensive. The standard latches might not have the extra deadlocking motors/levers etc and the wiring is unlikely to there, as multiple people have pointed out there are pros / cons to this, but given you have to break in the cabin to try and access the interior handle, the intrusion sensor should have already triggered.

Battery Backed up sounder / Tilt sensor cover off more extreme cases, but again it will be an extra LIN wire, power, ground, physically bolting it in and then BCM coding.

I should say this is theory and without the exact circuits and T6.1 coding, i am taking this from what i understand of the T6.

A
Great info, thanks

You probably would be able to add an aftermarket system but probably wouldn’t be as good as the VW Thatcham cat 1 alarm/immobiliser and no doubt more expensive.
That's the original poster's issue, they don't have it, and are looking to add it (the optional extra is an option for me as my order has only just been submitted)

That's a pretty good option
Don’t forget you get what you pay for. I’m not saying the cheap alarms are no good but this type of alarm just has the initial “fright” of hearing it go off but can be easily smothered and disabled with a hammer. A proper Cat 1 alarm is certainly not easy to disarm quickly. If you take the manufacturers advice of advertising it with a sticker then the crook knows exactly what you have. My advice is get yourself a Rottweiler but make sure the van is well ventilated on hot days. Guarantee you will never get it stolen.

Don’t forget you get what you pay for. I’m not saying the cheap alarms are no good but this type of alarm just has the initial “fright” of hearing it go off but can be easily smothered and disabled with a hammer. A proper Cat 1 alarm is certainly not easy to disarm quickly. If you take the manufacturers advice of advertising it with a sticker then the crook knows exactly what you have. My advice is get yourself a Rottweiler but make sure the van is well ventilated on hot days. Guarantee you will never get it stolen.
My method was to move where no-one wants or needs to steal my stuff

My method was to move where no-one wants or needs to steal my stuff
So you don’t intend to do any International travel outside Switzerland?

That's what we need to break down here, as with any security, what are you defending against?

Security typically breaks down in to 2 parts, prevention and detection.

Alarm - detection - makes a noise but most ignore it. Might prevent someone from trying because they see the sticker, but probably won't. Nothing to do with smash and grab or driving away the vehicle. Easy to disable by the pro theives.

Deadlocks - prevention for opening the door, but not for the window, means smash and grab bit harder because entry and exit have to be via the window, but those are big windows so won't change that bag/iPad/wallet left on the seat being taken.

Immobiliser - prevention - harder to start the car, nothing to do with smash and grab

Security windows - prevention - now this is something often overlooked, if the windows are the weak link in the security chain, then that's the bit to strengthen. I added security windows to my last car, which are both quieter and much harder to break. Interestingly is they are described as a comfort feature in Switzerland, and as a security feature in the UK (and probably many other places).

Although as said earlier there is a negative; harder to break for thieves means harder to break for everyone else, so for emergency services they have to rip the door off or go via the rear window on some cars (by design).

Overall as with all security, and also said by others on this thread, you have to accept where to draw the line. You can only reduce the chances, never remove it completely. Therefore the practical advice of parking in the right spots is probably the most effective way to protect what you have.

And just accept one day you might have to call the insurance company, no matter what you did, therefore do what you can and enjoy your van but don't be careless.
Spot on @two-saabs I’d add that Dashcams with Parking Mode (and visible LEDs) might also deter some? Blackvue sends footage of an incident to the Cloud immediately so even if the camera is stolen you have captured the scallywags image.

As you’ve said nothing will stop the most determined but the more you do to make your van a less attractive target, the better.

Spot on @two-saabs I’d add that Dashcams with Parking Mode (and visible LEDs) might also deter some? Blackvue sends footage of an incident to the Cloud immediately so even if the camera is stolen you have captured the scallywags image.

As you’ve said nothing will stop the most determined but the more you do to make your van a less attractive target, the better.
We’ve be talking away about alarms and forgot all about dashcams. I’ve got one in the front and one in the back. It’s quite amazing what they actually pick up. And unless you want an all singing and all dancing model they can be quit reasonably priced. We do have to remember though that they are not legal in some countries.

We’ve be talking away about alarms and forgot all about dashcams. I’ve got one in the front and one in the back. It’s quite amazing what they actually pick up. And unless you want an all singing and all dancing model they can be quit reasonably priced. We do have to remember though that they are not legal in some countries.
I have mixed feelings on the cameras, I think I'd get obsessed with checking the footage, and imagine seeing some scruffbag peering in then walking off, it would freak me out

I don’t think CCTV/Dashcams do much to deter thieves these days. They are so streetwise they assume they are on camera and take precautions, hoodies and a baseball cap seem to be easy to hide behind.

I don’t think CCTV/Dashcams do much to deter thieves these days. They are so streetwise they assume they are on camera and take precautions, hoodies and a baseball cap seem to be easy to hide behind.
But dashcams do help when someone shunts you in Tesco’s carpark.

That’s very true @ArunAlec - maybe time for me to stop wearing baseball caps and to bin my Craghoppers hoodie :)

P

Thanks would like to know if I should have taken this option. I’m going to have to replace the whole window, not a cheap but the insurance will pay for it.
Would like to add the Deadlock on the van but I imagine it isn’t possible. I’ll mostly now be very careful where I park my van. And as usual not leave anything of value in it. Mostly no bags in views. We had one bag with clothes in on tje floor in the back and that must be what made them want to come in. They only stole a bag of clothes, 2 little bags (with our toothbrush,…) and a little waletwith some swiss left over change.
It was a good warning in a way! Never happened to me since 25 years of owning a vehicle…
Confirmed by the dealer = Safelock means deadlocking (so that's what the Alarm option brings on the new vehicles, both the noise and the deadlocking)

But that doesn't help you with an existing vehicle, keep googling...

Back