Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Broken roof mechanism

Elmyp

Elmyp

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
The nut holding the roof raising mechanism appears to have pulled through. Any ideas what we should do?
Don't know why I looked, it just didn't sound right when it was lifted.
Picture to follow when I get some 3G - miles from anywhere in the Black Forest.

Do you still have the bolt ?
Do you mean the one on the scissor mechanism that is held
in place with a circlip ?

Thank you for replying so quickly. It is the bolt that attaches the mecahisn to the van rather than part of the scissor system.

IMG_20180622_172525.jpg

Have you tried to screw it back in ?
If this not works i think it's a dealers job.
Would not use the roof if not needed in the meantime

If you begin to lower the roof it will take a bit of the tension away
then you may be able to have a go at screwing it back in.

How is the thread on the end of it ?
Its screwed into the van quite a few turns so its a bit strange.
Have you had any work done on the roof recently ?

Thank you all for your replies. Much appreciated. The problem is that the nut that it screws into has pulled out of its housing. I am thinking that a bigger diameter nut with the same bolt size or a washer may help.
I will try to reduce the tension by lowering the roof a little (thank you).
If it is not obvious then we will be sleeping downstairs and ducking a lot til I can get to a mechanic.

At closer look it seems indeed the black plastic underneeth is damaged .
Wonder what caused this , are there scissors hinges rusted and maybe seesed and not working propperly giving extra tension on the system ?

There is no obvious corrosion or damage. The fabric is ok. So I am a bit at a loss to know what has happened. Even if it can be pushed back in I expect it will lift straight out again. I expect I will need a new plastic runner/bar?

Looks like the black plastic has sheared/fractured. Repair center job I would think.

There is no obvious corrosion or damage. The fabric is ok. So I am a bit at a loss to know what has happened. Even if it can be pushed back in I expect it will lift straight out again. I expect I will need a new plastic runner/bar?
Need to check for corrosion in the bearings/pinions of the scissor mechanism as this could put extra pressure on other components hence the failure.

Thank you, that is really helpful. Looks like part 8 to me. Hopefully if it can be sourced and everything else is ok then we might get it sorted.

You may be able to use epoxy resin to hold it in for now; Araldite or similar. Good luck.

If you go down the Epoxy route be aware that many of these adhesives are Hydroscopic. For a more permanent solution replacement of the fractured parts would be best if not price prohibitive.

Thank you everyone for your help. It was very reassuring to get so many excellent responses when I was well miffed that our Cali was broken in deepest Black Forest.
The nut is now secured using epoxy resin. It is holding very firm and the mechanism is all running smoothly. More smoothly than usual - I fear it has probably been out of place for some time. I have ordered the part from VW (part 8 on the schema) for £12. There appear to be a number of nuts to remove after propping up the roof but I think the replacement is possible. I am intending to have a go after our next trip.
Again, thanks!

Just returned from a trip to Pembrokeshire to discover the roof mechanism has failed in the same way described in this 2018 thread so hoping @Elmyp you could advise how easy or difficult this was to fix?

Hi Beeechke1
I'm sorry to hear that this has happened to you too.
I did fix the bolt with Araldite and it has held and continued to work smoothly til now. I did purchase the plastic rail from VW van Centre in Bristol. Haven't tried to fit it as I was expecting VW to do a recall roof repair for signs of corrosion. This has not happened yet - well over a year now. I did get a short notice opportunity to take the Cali in a few weeks ago but I was already camping. So, the epoxy solved my problem but I do not consider it completely fixed and I am waiting for the recall repair to replace the rail. Hope this helps. Best regards.

Hi Beeechke1
I'm sorry to hear that this has happened to you too.
I did fix the bolt with Araldite and it has held and continued to work smoothly til now. I did purchase the plastic rail from VW van Centre in Bristol. Haven't tried to fit it as I was expecting VW to do a recall roof repair for signs of corrosion. This has not happened yet - well over a year now. I did get a short notice opportunity to take the Cali in a few weeks ago but I was already camping. So, the epoxy solved my problem but I do not consider it completely fixed and I am waiting for the recall repair to replace the rail. Hope this helps. Best regards.
Thanks @Elmyp for quick response, think I might speak to SMG Tonbridge and get a price for new part and labour to fix.
Regards Kelvin

Hi Kelvin
Yes, I think that is the best course of action.
Fixing with resin was easy - I tried to be careful only to put the araldite on the top of the plastic rail and 'nut' so I didn't stick the rail to the Cali roof permanently. However, dismantling the roof to fit the new rail is scary!
Cheers, Peter.

My 2015 Cali SE has just done this - can anyone advise what he solution was / how much it cost?

Back